Swapping out Dana 30 for prorock 44 question?

I have a 2016 unlimited with Evo enforcer 4 inch lift and king 2.5 shocks. I’m running 37 Coopers 13.5 inch wide tires and have one and three-quarter inch spider track wheel spacers. My wheels have 4.5” backspacing. When fully stuffed my front tires still rubs on the shock body. I have 5:13 Revolution gears and broke a few teeth on the ring gear in my Dana 30. Instead of fixing it I want to buy a Prockrock 44.

My question is, do I custom order the length of the axle 3.5” wider so I don’t have to run wheel spacer in front? Or what is the correct width to get because in the future I will end up with a rear 60 as well?

For those who have none Rubicons and are thinking about running 37s here is my experience with it for what it’s worth. I’ve been running the set up for the past year and a half. June of last year I spent three grand re-gearing the front and back with revolution gears and ARB locker in the rear only. Month and a half after that I did the Rubicon Trail. Just passed Buck Island I snapped the passenger side axle which broke approximately 6” from the locker which also destroyed my locker. Long story short Sierra Gear and Axles near Sacramento had the axles and Locker so we could do a trail fix and made it home to SoCal. Axles, locker and part store for some xtra tools and supplies to get the job done was another 2 grand. With the money spent so far I should have bought a Prorock 60 rear axle. IMG_0461.jpg IMG_0463.jpg IMG_0454.jpg

Fast forward to three weeks ago I did Motino wash in Big Bear and broke a few teeth on my ring gear on the front Axle. This time around I was fully prepared with all the tools and supplies to get me off the trail fairly quickly. We just pulled the ring off and put it back together and used 2 wheel drive to get home. IMG_1455.jpg IMG_1457.jpg

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

fiend

Caught the Bug
Jeez dude, you have some bad luck. Getting pretty good at trail repairs I’ll bet.

Anyway, I don’t have an answer about getting a custom PR44. Never heard of it, but I suppose anything is possible. I have a standard length PR44, 4” backspacing, and 12.50” tires. Pretty much no rubbing other than minimal at max articulation. You have an extra 1/2” of BS and 1/2” of tire width, which might explain the difference but for your spacers. That’s a puzzle. [emoji848]

Check out Fusion 4x4. Their website says no extra charge for custom length axle tubes. Keep in mind that’s going to require custom axle shafts too.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jeez dude, you have some bad luck. Getting pretty good at trail repairs I’ll bet.

Anyway, I don’t have an answer about getting a custom PR44. Never heard of it, but I suppose anything is possible. I have a standard length PR44, 4” backspacing, and 12.50” tires. Pretty much no rubbing other than minimal at max articulation. You have an extra 1/2” of BS and 1/2” of tire width, which might explain the difference but for your spacers. That’s a puzzle. [emoji848]

Check out Fusion 4x4. Their website says no extra charge for custom length axle tubes. Keep in mind that’s going to require custom axle shafts too.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks for the advice. I never thought of the custom axle length.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
agree with all, custom is good, but only when it breaks it doesn't leave you completely stranded.

Over the years I've wasted a lot of $$$ buying custom parts only to find out the cost of repair was a ream in the ass :doh:

Top Bottom