3.6L Hill Climb Smoke

bhaner

Had a strange thing happen yesterday when I did a really steep hill climb. The extreme angle seems to cause the engine to start eating it's own oil for some reason. Not sure if it is getting by the rings or something else.

Anyone else had this issue?

FYI Royal Purple really stinks...

bhaner

It did it first on this climb. Strange thing was it didn't do it at the steepest part. It did it when I got on the throttle at the top.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1557838707345.jpg
    FB_IMG_1557838707345.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 132
  • FB_IMG_1557838655739.jpg
    FB_IMG_1557838655739.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 133

Seahawkfan

Hooked
Had a strange thing happen yesterday when I did a really steep hill climb. The extreme angle seems to cause the engine to start eating it's own oil for some reason. Not sure if it is getting by the rings or something else.

I think your going to need an oil catch can..:cheesy: Sorry I don't have a real answer for you just a little LB humor.

bhaner

Is there a fix? Seems like a slight design flaw. Unless you are 007 it's not a real useful feature. Lol

WJCO

Meme King
Is there a fix? Seems like a slight design flaw. Unless you are 007 it's not a real useful feature. Lol

FCA uses that engine in vehicles other than Wranglers. I don't think the engineers really planned on vehicle positions like this (see below) being part of most drivers' every day routine. Just a guess.

FB_IMG_1557838707345.jpg

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Was searching YouTube one time and came on a vid of a JL attempting a seriously steep and short hillclimb. There was serious oil smoke that lasted quite awhile 'til it all burned off. There was no apparent damage to the engine and it's still running strong. My guess would be WJCO's comment about the original design of the engine is correct. It didn't include vertical hill climbs.

jdofmemi

It's the built in tilt warning device🤣🤣🤣

98XJ06LJ

IMG_20190512_110234979_BURST042.jpg
Notice the JK in the background, he just backed down from the ledge I'm dropping off of. He stayed on the incline a little too long trying to make up his mind. It's best to keep moving or back down. Engines are not designed to run at a 75 degree vertical angle. Best fix is to just limit the amount of time spent at that angle. Pick your line before starting the climb and then keep moving.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom