Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tire Carrier Rattling HELP

Knows a Thing or Two MericaMade's Avatar

Tire Carrier Rattling HELP

I just got done installing the EVO skins and tire carrier and wanted to know from you guys running them if your carrier rattles a lot? The Genright tire carrier I removed never made a sound or rattled at all but I think that was also due to the rubber isolater at the hinge pins vs. johnny joints or simply install error on my part.

Right now, I actually have to push down on the EVO carrier to close it. Not much pressure but it will not close unless I put a little down pressure on it. Should the Johnny joints be floating in between the drive hinges or should I allow some weight to sit on it? I also miss aligned the holes slightly to give the pins a tighter fit but can still hear rattling on ever single bump.

Also, any one have a cleaver way to run the wiring from inside jeep to license plate?

In order for these to be rattle free, they need to be a little misaligned. One of the pins should be a little more difficult to insert that the other. Sounds like maybe you just need to tweak yours some more. Try adjusting one of the ends a half turn at a time. When they are sdjusted properly they will not rattle

I drilled holes in mine to run the wires. Two on the inside of the carrier arms and then siliconed the hole closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ddays View Post
    In order for these to be rattle free, they need to be a little misaligned. One of the pins should be a little more difficult to insert that the other. Sounds like maybe you just need to tweak yours some more. Try adjusting one of the ends a half turn at a time. When they are sdjusted properly they will not rattle

I drilled holes in mine to run the wires. Two on the inside of the carrier arms and then siliconed the hole closed.
    Thanks Ddays, I will make some more adjustments. Do you need to lift your carrier onto the driver mounts or does it slid in without hitting the driver side brackets?

Good idea on the wiring....thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by MericaMade View Post
    Thanks Ddays, I will make some more adjustments. Do you need to lift your carrier onto the driver mounts or does it slid in without hitting the driver side brackets?

On mine I have to lift it just a tad to get it to go into the mounts. My top pin slides in easy and then I have to give it a little tug out to get my bottom pin to go in. Rattle free. Thanks to Bubba (Exodus Jeeps)
    '08 JKUR 6.0LS, 6L80
    EVO DTD, Evolever w/ Hi Clearance long arms
    40x13.50R17 Nitto TGs w/ KMC Machettes
    Dana 60, Sterling 10.5
    EVO stuff
    Evo Pro & Warn Zeon
    Evo Tire Carrier

Quote Originally Posted by MericaMade View Post

See post #54 about halfway on the pics - this is how I had mine adjusted on the initial iinstall. In these pics mine slid into the mounts perfectly level. A couple whacks on some trees fixed that so it isn't perfect anymore, but it's still level when I close it.

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/...of-Gruff/page6

Quote Originally Posted by Ddays View Post
    See post #54 about halfway on the pics - this is how I had mine adjusted on the initial iinstall. In these pics mine slid into the mounts perfectly level. A couple whacks on some trees fixed that so it isn't perfect anymore, but it's still level when I close it.

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/...of-Gruff/page6
    Very nice info and thank you, I love the red with black Johnny joints. I took some preload out and its alot better. This also helped with the pin misalignment.

I think my biggest issue now are the skins are about 1/8 inch on each side to far back and the rears skins are damn near flush on the back tail gate. This cause the upper brackets to be about 1/4 to narrow. I did this so the skin would cover the existing holes from the genright carrier. Because of this I can not get all 4 locking nuts on and the joints are moving a little as well.

I either need to find a lot smaller locking nut or take the current ones and grind or have them milled down. Unless someone else has a better idea?

I'm super happy with the look and the new Maxxima lights at the end of the day.
    Last edited by MericaMade; 05-15-2019 at 12:44 AM.

Figured a picture is better. Having the skins flush with rear door to cover a hole changed the minimum mounting distances for the cage. You can see I dont have room to fit locking nuts, so I need smaller ones.
    20190515_083157.jpg20190515_083219.jpg20190515_083255.jpg

Red lock tight?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by fiend View Post
    Red lock tight?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    I thought about that or rvt but I don't think it's strong enough.

Got it set and working good now. I grinded down the locking nuts to make it fit. Thanks for the help guys.
    Last edited by MericaMade; 05-20-2019 at 05:29 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast