Tire Carrier Rattling HELP

MericaMade

I just got done installing the EVO skins and tire carrier and wanted to know from you guys running them if your carrier rattles a lot? The Genright tire carrier I removed never made a sound or rattled at all but I think that was also due to the rubber isolater at the hinge pins vs. johnny joints or simply install error on my part.

Right now, I actually have to push down on the EVO carrier to close it. Not much pressure but it will not close unless I put a little down pressure on it. Should the Johnny joints be floating in between the drive hinges or should I allow some weight to sit on it? I also miss aligned the holes slightly to give the pins a tighter fit but can still hear rattling on ever single bump.

Also, any one have a cleaver way to run the wiring from inside jeep to license plate?

Ddays

Hooked
In order for these to be rattle free, they need to be a little misaligned. One of the pins should be a little more difficult to insert that the other. Sounds like maybe you just need to tweak yours some more. Try adjusting one of the ends a half turn at a time. When they are sdjusted properly they will not rattle

I drilled holes in mine to run the wires. Two on the inside of the carrier arms and then siliconed the hole closed.

MericaMade

In order for these to be rattle free, they need to be a little misaligned. One of the pins should be a little more difficult to insert that the other. Sounds like maybe you just need to tweak yours some more. Try adjusting one of the ends a half turn at a time. When they are sdjusted properly they will not rattle

I drilled holes in mine to run the wires. Two on the inside of the carrier arms and then siliconed the hole closed.

Thanks Ddays, I will make some more adjustments. Do you need to lift your carrier onto the driver mounts or does it slid in without hitting the driver side brackets?

Good idea on the wiring....thanks.

dillard09

Thanks Ddays, I will make some more adjustments. Do you need to lift your carrier onto the driver mounts or does it slid in without hitting the driver side brackets?

On mine I have to lift it just a tad to get it to go into the mounts. My top pin slides in easy and then I have to give it a little tug out to get my bottom pin to go in. Rattle free. Thanks to Bubba (Exodus Jeeps)

Ddays

Hooked

See post #54 about halfway on the pics - this is how I had mine adjusted on the initial iinstall. In these pics mine slid into the mounts perfectly level. A couple whacks on some trees fixed that so it isn't perfect anymore, but it's still level when I close it.

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/31355-The-build-re-build-of-Gruff/page6

MericaMade

See post #54 about halfway on the pics - this is how I had mine adjusted on the initial iinstall. In these pics mine slid into the mounts perfectly level. A couple whacks on some trees fixed that so it isn't perfect anymore, but it's still level when I close it.

Very nice info and thank you, I love the red with black Johnny joints. I took some preload out and its alot better. This also helped with the pin misalignment.

I think my biggest issue now are the skins are about 1/8 inch on each side to far back and the rears skins are damn near flush on the back tail gate. This cause the upper brackets to be about 1/4 to narrow. I did this so the skin would cover the existing holes from the genright carrier. Because of this I can not get all 4 locking nuts on and the joints are moving a little as well.

I either need to find a lot smaller locking nut or take the current ones and grind or have them milled down. Unless someone else has a better idea?

I'm super happy with the look and the new Maxxima lights at the end of the day.

Last edited:

MericaMade

Figured a picture is better. Having the skins flush with rear door to cover a hole changed the minimum mounting distances for the cage. You can see I dont have room to fit locking nuts, so I need smaller ones.
20190515_083157.jpg 20190515_083219.jpg 20190515_083255.jpg

MericaMade

Got it set and working good now. I grinded down the locking nuts to make it fit. Thanks for the help guys.

Last edited:

MericaMade

So, I have messed with this for a few days and cant get the rattling to stop. I understand its going to make noise but not like what I am hearing. When you close your cage does it float right in between the bracket tabs or does it drag on the top or bottom? My Johnny Joints hit both the top and bottom of bracket at the front of the bracket and I have to give it a little push to get it to line up where the pins drop in. There is a gap where the pin holes are I can fit a washer in between the bracket and johnny joint. I think this is where the noise is coming from.

I tired closing the gap with a BFH but all that did was bend the ends and not allow me to get the Johnny joint in and close it. I guess the simple question is do you have any play in between the joints and the mounting brackets where the pins pass through?

Last edited:

Masjkf84

Caught the Bug
Not sure if this will help but it sounds like you’ve messed with the joints and not had much luck.

With mine I’ve had to crank down the tire carrier portion itself a ton even though it seems snug in the first place or I have a lot of noise.

Spazbyt

Hooked
Figured a picture is better. Having the skins flush with rear door to cover a hole changed the minimum mounting distances for the cage. You can see I dont have room to fit locking nuts, so I need smaller ones.
View attachment 327017 View attachment 327018 View attachment 327019

Your pin doesn't look all that tight. Could be the bend in the pin that makes it look like it has slop though. I can only imagine that If that pin doesn't fit tighter then that its would rattle like crazy. Maybe try the pins upside down for a test drive to see it the bend of the pin is causing the rattle.

MericaMade

I will try the upside down pins and report back. As far as the pins since the last picture I misaligned them more and have to work the pins in more now. I am going to run a bolt through and tighten with a nut to remove pin slop and try and isolated the issue to either play in between the brackets or the pins them-self.

Thanks for all the help.

Ddays

Hooked
So, I have messed with this for a few days and cant get the rattling to stop. I understand its going to make noise but not like what I am hearing. When you close your cage does it float right in between the bracket tabs or does it drag on the top or bottom? My Johnny Joints hit both the top and bottom of bracket at the front of the bracket and I have to give it a little push to get it to line up where the pins drop in. There is a gap where the pin holes are I can fit a washer in between the bracket and johnny joint. I think this is where the noise is coming from.

I tired closing the gap with a BFH but all that did was bend the ends and not allow me to get the Johnny joint in and close it. I guess the simple question is do you have any play in between the joints and the mounting brackets where the pins pass through?

I just went out and took some pics: Here are pics of how mine sit now. If you want another view of something let me know and I'll take a pic of it :thumb:

There is a slight gap on the top mount, but not much of one on the bottom one.

20190520_204303_resized.jpg

20190520_204313_resized.jpg

When I pit one pin in, it forces the other one to be slightly misaligned and I have to force the pin in.

20190520_204405_resized.jpg

20190520_204413_resized.jpg

There is a little droop on the carrier before the ends fit into the mounts but a slight lift of thecarrier is enough and it slides right in.

20190520_204547_resized.jpg

20190520_204609_resized.jpg

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I just went out and took some pics: Here are pics of how mine sit now. If you want another view of something let me know and I'll take a pic of it :thumb:

View attachment 327402

View attachment 327403

When I pit one pin in, it forces the other one to be slightly misaligned and I have to force the pin in.

View attachment 327404

View attachment 327405

There is a little droop on the carrier before the ends fit into the mounts but a slight lift of thecarrier is enough and it slides right in.

View attachment 327406

View attachment 327407

That’s how mine is. Except more droop and a little tougher to get lined up cause it’s slightly bent.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

MericaMade

View attachment 327402

View attachment 327403

View attachment 327404

View attachment 327405

View attachment 327406

View attachment 327407
That’s how mine is. Except more droop and a little tougher to get lined up cause it’s slightly bent.

Perfect, those pictures are perfect. Thank you for taking the time to post them up. I made mine match yours and yes the one pin is alot harder to get in now but once it's in, its alot tighter and is now putting pressure on both joints. I tried to make the cage rattle by hand and couldn't anymore so I'm pretty sure its fixed now. I will post back after my drive into work in the morning with an update. Thanks again!

MericaMade

View attachment 327402

View attachment 327403

View attachment 327404

View attachment 327405

View attachment 327406

View attachment 327407

Gentleman the rattles are officially gone. I have to pull just a tad on the cage to get the bottom pin in but did not hear a single rattle on the way to work. I even tried hit dips in to the road and nothing. BIG THANK YOU for the help.

Ddays

Hooked
Gentleman the rattles are officially gone. I have to pull just a tad on the cage to get the bottom pin in but did not hear a single rattle on the way to work. I even tried hit dips in to the road and nothing. BIG THANK YOU for the help.

Awesome - glad you got it worked out!

PokerStogey

That’s what is really cool about this place... have a problem and most likely it has been solved by someone else here before. Still waiting for the day I am able to contribute with something useful other than the mass amount of needless knowledge stuck in my head... BTW a panda bear shits about 40 times a day, everyday... that’s a lot.

Top Bottom