Ball Joint position question

MTNXR

So does anyone know why ball joints for a Jeep would be marked "mount inboard"? I bought a set through Autozone, and when I installed the first upper I was looking it over and noticed the wording stamped into the dust boot....naturally it was mounted outboard. I decided to leave it but wonder if it makes a difference on this application.

WJCO

Meme King
So does anyone know why ball joints for a Jeep would be marked "mount inboard"? I bought a set through Autozone, and when I installed the first upper I was looking it over and noticed the wording stamped into the dust boot....naturally it was mounted outboard. I decided to leave it but wonder if it makes a difference on this application.

I seriously don't know how I found this this quickly, I've never heard of such a thing. Just got lucky I guess. But here you go:

https://static.speedwaymotors.com/pdf/91032356-1.pdf

Untitled.jpg

Welcome to Wayalife.

G-mansjk

It's a reference to properly set the camber. If not set properly camber will be off binding can happen while turning. Most balljoints have the inboard reference or a arrow showing the inboard reference so alignment isn't thrown off.

Sent from my SM-G975U using WAYALIFE mobile app

MTNXR

It's a reference to properly set the camber. If not set properly camber will be off binding can happen while turning. Most balljoints have the inboard reference or a arrow showing the inboard reference so alignment isn't thrown off.

Is that true with straight / non offset ball joints? I am thinking it is just the above noted grease relief port on the boot and the boot is what is stamped.

WJCO

Meme King
Regular ball joints shouldn't affect the camber regardless of any position that they're installed in.

Now offset ball joints are a different story.

G-mansjk

Regular ball joints shouldn't affect the camber regardless of any position that they're installed in.

Now offset ball joints are a different story.
I could have sworn that all balljoints have some camber built in just not as extreme as offset balljoints. I could be off, I just remember it being hammered into my scull to always index properly Haha. If I remember correctly though all joints should be set up to give a little positive camber to adjust for when the vehicle is under load

jesse3638

Hooked
I could have sworn that all balljoints have some camber built in just not as extreme as offset balljoints. I could be off, I just remember it being hammered into my scull to always index properly Haha. If I remember correctly though all joints should be set up to give a little positive camber to adjust for when the vehicle is under load

They Synergy HD ball joints I installed a few months ago had no reference to an index. They were tight as hell for about 750 miles but have since loosened up.

jasont0311

Caught the Bug
What do you mean by that? I just had synergy bj installed and I’m experiencing some wandering.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I installed the synergy ball a couple weeks ago and had some wondering. It went away after they broke in. The worst part is I had my pro rock built and installed while I was overseas. I didn't even think about checking the brand of the ball joints I was replacing. They were pro steers!:doh:

Exodus 4x4

They Synergy HD ball joints I installed a few months ago had no reference to an index. They were tight as hell for about 750 miles but have since loosened up.

What do you mean by that? I just had synergy bj installed and I’m experiencing some wandering.

I installed the synergy ball a couple weeks ago and had some wondering. It went away after they broke in. The worst part is I had my pro rock built and installed while I was overseas. I didn't even think about checking the brand of the ball joints I was replacing. They were pro steers!:doh:

Just FYI, until recently we were installing nothing but Synergy ball joints. Suddenly we had 3 customers in one week complaining about their steering and the only thing they had done was ball joints. We tried to get them to drive them a little longer for the “break-in” but they absolutely refused to do it and I wasn’t about to argue with a customer. When we got them back in the shop we took them for a test drive and it was definitely beyond needing their so called break-in, which to them can take up to 500 miles. I ended up replacing all 3 sets on my dime with Alloy USA ball joints. I had quite a few sets of Synergy ball joints here that we were able to box up and ship back, and have not had a single issue with any of the Alloy USA ball joints. If for any reason you think that the Synergy ball joints do not feel good, don’t doubt yourself. If I sold them to you then by all means contact me and I’ll send you a replacement set of Alloys. What we felt was beyond acceptable and really, flat out dangerous.

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
Just FYI, until recently we were installing nothing but Synergy ball joints. Suddenly we had 3 customers in one week complaining about their steering and the only thing they had done was ball joints. We tried to get them to drive them a little longer for the “break-in” but they absolutely refused to do it and I wasn’t about to argue with a customer. When we got them back in the shop we took them for a test drive and it was definitely beyond needing their so called break-in, which to them can take up to 500 miles. I ended up replacing all 3 sets on my dime with Alloy USA ball joints. I had quite a few sets of Synergy ball joints here that we were able to box up and ship back, and have not had a single issue with any of the Alloy USA ball joints. If for any reason you think that the Synergy ball joints do not feel good, don’t doubt yourself. If I sold them to you then by all means contact me and I’ll send you a replacement set of Alloys. What we felt was beyond acceptable and really, flat out dangerous.

Are you saying they’ll never feel right or they will eventually brake in?

jesse3638

Hooked

Yeah mine took well over 750 maybe close to 1000 miles to finally feel about normal. It was really sketchy on the freeway passing semi's with a k-rail to my left. I wouldn't let my son drive it until it felt right as he is a pretty new driver. They feel solid and smooth now but I was wondering if they'd break it. Glad it wasn't just me.
Are you saying they’ll never feel right or they will eventually brake in?

Mine broke in it just took well over their 500 mile suggestion.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Exodus 4x4

Yeah mine took well over 750 maybe close to 1000 miles to finally feel about normal. It was really sketchy on the freeway passing semi's with a k-rail to my left. I wouldn't let my son drive it until it felt right as he is a pretty new driver. They feel solid and smooth now but I was wondering if they'd break it. Glad it wasn't just me.

Mine broke in it just took well over their 500 mile suggestion.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

And there’s absolutely no reason for that when you can buy ball joints that do not require a break in. I feel like Synergy makes some awesome products, but this isn’t one of them.

fiend

Caught the Bug
And there’s absolutely no reason for that when you can buy ball joints that do not require a break in. I feel like Synergy makes some awesome products, but this isn’t one of them.

Seems hit or miss. I’ve seen a bunch of complaints about them, and a bunch of people saying they’re great. I’ve had mine for a couple of years now and they’ve been fine. But I also have a set of Dynatrac ball joints sitting on my shelf for the day the Synergies crap out.

Top Bottom