Low range and won't go!

bhaner

I will come up against an obstacle and the engine will just bog and the rpm's won't come up. Esc shows off. Holding the auto in 1st.

Is there a trick to get it to go?

jorgelrod

Hooked
On the floor there should be a two pedals, the one on the right side, you press on it and it goes... :cheesy::cheesy:

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
On my Jeep, sometimes it likes to pop out of 4 lo, even though it appears to be in, with the lever in the right place and ESC light OFF. When I shift it into 4 lo I use one hand to firmly shift into 4 lo and use other hand to put it back to drive while holding pressure on the t-case lever

bhaner

You need to be in 4 low. I have what you describe if I try to wheel in 4 high over moderately large obstacles.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

It's in low. I am sure of that.

It seems like an electronic issue. Like torque management. Feels like the traction control is on and it is cutting the power.

If I let off and roll in really slow sometimes it will go fine. But I can also floor it and it will do nothing but load the engine. RPM's won't go much over an idle.

bhaner

On my Jeep, sometimes it likes to pop out of 4 lo, even though it appears to be in, with the lever in the right place and ESC light OFF. When I shift it into 4 lo I use one hand to firmly shift into 4 lo and use other hand to put it back to drive while holding pressure on the t-case lever

Yep. I will hold mine in low when shifting it and go reverse to drive to make sure it is locked in all the way.

It's not coming out of gear. Something is just not letting the engine apply power.

Brute

Hooked
Yep. I will hold mine in low when shifting it and go reverse to drive to make sure it is locked in all the way.

It's not coming out of gear. Something is just not letting the engine apply power.

Front hubs not locked?

boardsurfer

It's in low. I am sure of that.

It seems like an electronic issue. Like torque management. Feels like the traction control is on and it is cutting the power.

If I let off and roll in really slow sometimes it will go fine. But I can also floor it and it will do nothing but load the engine. RPM's won't go much over an idle.

Sounds like the torque converter being weird?

wjtstudios

Hooked
Before electronic controlled BS I would say the stall is too low...

But this really feels like torque management... Just no idea how to turn it off. I may need to look into a tuner.

I don’t know if it would work or not but you can wire in an ESP/ABS kill switch which will take the computer out of play. I’m not sure how that would affect the torque converter, but if it’s computer based it may work.

bhaner

I don’t know if it would work or not but you can wire in an ESP/ABS kill switch which will take the computer out of play. I’m not sure how that would affect the torque converter, but if it’s computer based it may work.

I have that button that cuts the power to the ABS... But it doesn't seem to make a difference.

On the floor there should be a two pedals, the one on the right side, you press on it and it goes... :cheesy::cheesy:

That.

Really though if it’s bogging down it doesn’t have enough power to do what you want it to do. If your fluid levels are correct, and you don’t need a tuneup, and your RPM doesn’t shoot up without moving it sounds like you’re just taking on too much obstacle. Tire pressures etc. Take a video next time, that’ll help the keyboard diagnosis.

bhaner

It seems to have plenty of power to go 80 on the highway... It's just this situation where it feels like it is holding itself back.

Less than 30k miles on it.

If I get the application of the throttle at just the right speed it will go right up. But if I push the throttle too fast it acts just like trying to do a burnout with traction control on. I can actually feel it kill cylinders. Just like traction control.

Top Bottom