Safari too and rain

Unlimited4x4

Safari top and rain

So, the factory top on my 05 LJ has seen better days. I never have anyone in the back, so I was considering a full length safari top with the duster/tonneau cover. So the way the safari tops fit, will it keep the rain out of the cab? I have no experience with them at all. Always had a factory top. I’ll be running full doors. I like the bestop on Quadratec.

Last edited:
How much rain are we talking? Lol

When I don’t feel like putting everything back on, I run the stock soft top up. No windows. Full doors and when you park tumble front seats forward. Driver stays dry. Back gets wet.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Unlimited4x4

Snboarder, I’ve done what you described for 14 years here in Florida. No windows, seats forward. Works great. The issue is My factory top is worn out and since I typically don’t use the windows, even during tropical storms, Im considering a safari top and duster cover for 250$ vs new softop at $700. Just want to know if the safari top will leak around the doors or into the cab.

boardsurfer

full length safari top with the duster/tonneau cover. .

I ran my LJ that way for a few years.

IMG_0180.jpg

I cant find a photo with the tonneau cover, but you can see here the top wedges into the door surround and seals up pretty good. It's a Bestop Safari. You may get a little mist on the back of your neck if the wind is right though.

I still run the JK that way as well. Perfect combo of open air, but stuff is still covered in the back.

IMG_20180619_111145.jpg

wjtstudios

Hooked
I’ve run a bestop NX with a bestop tonneau cover and windjammer for years.

IMG_0920.jpg

IMG_0921.jpg

IMG_0922.jpg

It keeps most of the water out, although if you are driving thru a down pour some water will come in the corners and piss the kids off. But the sacrifices that we make.

Clutch

Caught the Bug

Stotch

Caught the Bug
I ran the 3 summer top combo on my old TJ in the rain a few times. It's not nearly as water tight as a full soft top. It will only keep you "mostly" dry.

With the JK I didn't bother with the wind jammer part. When driving I still stay "mostly" dry. When it rains with that combo parked it just pours puddled water of the tonneau behind the front seats the first time I hit the brakes or reverse.

RCVRY

I pull the doors and windows every summer and leave them off until fall. It’s my daily driver and it’s definitely not for everyone. People ask what happens when it rains and my response is always “I get wet.”

I also keep a spare t-shirt, socks and drawers in my console. It’s a wayalife.

jesse3638

Hooked
I pull the doors and windows every summer and leave them off until fall. It’s my daily driver and it’s definitely not for everyone. People ask what happens when it rains and my response is always “I get wet.”

I also keep a spare t-shirt, socks and drawers in my console. It’s a wayalife.

I do the same thing, Last summer was the first summer I didn't It sat parked most of the year. My step son just asked last week once we get moved can we pull the top and doors. Of course we can..haha. I have been caught in thunder storms with just my homemade screen top on and as long as I was moving I stayed fairly dry. Once I stopped it was a who;e different story. I always carry a heavy jacket and pants because you never know.

Unlimited4x4

So, still looking at the Bimini style top with tonneau cover and with jammer piece. If I get the wind jammer piece, what do I do with the speaker bar? Won’t it be “outside” of the cab.

Don’t kid yourself that there will be an ‘inside’ but yes it’ll be on the other side, you can turn the bar 180* and move the wiring to the other side and mount it right over your head.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Top Bottom