Help me build 4” lift on a tight budget

USMC Wrangler

No, I don’t want sub-standard garbage, but I think it’s time to get my belly higher. The trails I’m running now are beating the crap out of my undercarriage between the axles. I know taller than 35” tires would help, but I’m stuck with my dirty 30 due to funds. The EVO Protek system is doing its job, but I don’t think the cross member skid is going to last much longer.

IMG_7678.jpg

IMG_7680.jpg

IMG_7683.jpg

IMG_7684.jpg

IMG_7685.jpg

I’ve enjoyed the EVO Leveling Kit, but I think it’s time to move on. By the time I air down to 16 psi and the weight of My 4 door with gear, I drag, A LOT! Also, super happy with the Zeon 10S but I wish I didn’t need it as much as I do. I pulled line 6 times on the last trail, to recover myself and a few more times for others.

This is what I’m considering to get me started...

4” EVO Coils
Rancho 9000’s for 4” lift
Front and rear raised trackbar brackets
Extended brake lines

I have front lower adjustable control arms. Will I NEED any other control arms?

I know I’ll need to address driveshafts too. Anything else? Need to start planning ASAP.

PS - None of the above damage is from speed. I’m a slow creeper on the trail. So much so my friends pressure me to “hurry up”. Speed kills and breaks.

WJCO

Meme King
You'll likely need adjustable upper rear arms for pinion angle. And you'll probably want a drag link flip.

Andy5160

Hooked
I say 4 EVO coils will settle a bit therefore if you on the budget I would just get break lines extensions
Rancho 9000 is a must
Go with EVO drag link flip kit for the front which is about $300 it will get your TB raised so you good here
Rear TB bracket from Evo is about $150
Dshafts is something where the cost comes in but if you try and find local driveline/transmission shop you will be able to save some cash.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

USMC Wrangler

That crossmember looks brand new.

Yep, and hoping to keep it that way as much as possible. The skid has been hammered out several times now and might need it again.

I say 4 EVO coils will settle a bit therefore if you on the budget I would just get break lines extensions
Rancho 9000 is a must
Go with EVO drag link flip kit for the front which is about $300 it will get your TB raised so you good here
Rear TB bracket from Evo is about $150
Dshafts is something where the cost comes in but if you try and find local driveline/transition shop you will be able to save some cash.

Thanks! I’m checking with a few driveline shops in Tucson and Phoenix.

USMC Wrangler

Missed upper rears in my post

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Also, I have a new, DOM draglink from Ruffstuff already. I also have the TRE necessary to flip it. So I’d rather skip the whole kit. I do have brake line extensions on hand, I’ve just never installed them.

So shocks, springs, f/r raised track bar brackets, upper rear CA’s.

How long can I run O.E. driveshafts at 4”, more or less? I’m getting quotes for $350 front and $450 rear at a couple AZ driveline shops so far.

Edwrds

Caught the Bug
I still have a set of Currie springs you can have. When I gave them the part# I was told it was a 4inch lift. Just need to see what the shipping would be. I’ll try and get a picture of them when I get off work today. If you’re interested.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

longarmwj

I’ve been REALLY happy with my Superlift 4 inch kit. Not that expensive and a good kit. You would need control arms though and the things that WJCO mentioned

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jsouder53

Hooked
I first got a rough country lift just to get up to height for cheap, then started replacing with new springs and shocks over time... I know it doesn’t ride well, but it works for the time being. I was just glad it came with a pretty complete setup.

Edit: I should mention it rides better now with the Evo plush ride coils and rancho 9000 xl

Last edited:
I did the exact thing you are proposing a few years ago. Here are some considerations I've found.

1. EVO 4" plush rides on my 4 door still sit at 4.5" of actual lift. They ride great and I love them.
2. I used Artec weld-on track bar brackets front and rear. Cheap and easy to weld if you have the capability.
3. Definitely use a d link flip. Sounds like you're already planning on it.
4. I needed adjustable front control arms, one pair is plenty, probably lowers are best.
5. Stock rear control arms were perfect for 4" lift and my CV driveshaft. Pinion angle is net 0 degrees with d shaft angle.
6. My stock front d shaft grenaded in 5k miles after lift. Replace it now.

37" related issues:
1. balljoints shit the bed pretty quick. Replaced with the new Teraflex joints. Love them
2. Unit bearings dont like heavy tire/wheel combo and low backspacing (3.5"). replace them.
3. I trussed, sleeved the front axle. I like it, cheap and decent insurance. I wheel pretty tough trails, no issues yet.

That's all I can think of for now.

P.S. Good to see another Arizonan!

Top Bottom