ROCK HARD 4X4 HARDHAT DIFFERENTIAL COVER question..

TxCoastie

Not wanting to spend alot money on the dana 30 while saving up for PR44 I did want a lil protection for now so I purchased a thicker diff cover.

RH4×4 says that after removing the 5 lower stock bolts the seal may or may not break when installing the new diff cover over the stock diff cover.

I have a lube locker on that diff and was wondering if any of you have installed a diff cover (5 lower bolts and guard) without breaking the seal.

I just regeared (thanks Bubba) 1200 miles ago and I didnt think until later that I wanted to cover the dana 30. I would hate to waste fresh full synthetic diff fluid cause I removed 5 bolts for 5 minutes.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190517-224002_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190517-224002_Chrome.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 128

Turbo21

Since it was just resealed you probably won’t break the seal. I usually have to use a screwdriver to pry the cover off and break the seal when I remove my diff cover. Just take it easy and remove the bolts without moving the cover. Even if it had a very small leak at the bolt holes which isn’t probable it will reseal when you torque the bolts down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

USMC Wrangler

In addition to the above, if it were me, I’d do this when it’s cold. As in, sitting overnight, for example. Just a thought.

WJCO

Meme King
Not wanting to spend alot money on the dana 30 while saving up for PR44 I did want a lil protection for now so I purchased a thicker diff cover.

RH4×4 says that after removing the 5 lower stock bolts the seal may or may not break when installing the new diff cover over the stock diff cover.

I have a lube locker on that diff and was wondering if any of you have installed a diff cover (5 lower bolts and guard) without breaking the seal.

I just regeared (thanks Bubba) 1200 miles ago and I didnt think until later that I wanted to cover the dana 30. I would hate to waste fresh full synthetic diff fluid cause I removed 5 bolts for 5 minutes.

Did you already do your 500 mile fluid change? If not, now would be the perfect time.

TxCoastie

Did you already do your 500 mile fluid change? If not, now would be the perfect time.

Thanks guys. Ill give it a go.

Yea WJCO we did the 500 mile break in and fluid change. But I still forgot about the diff cover guard 😆. Its life with brain damage.

Why not just change or reuse the fluid? Clean catch can and put it back in. Or fluids not that expensive anyways. Or wait til the next time you go through water and need to change anyways

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom