VIDEO : CODEX - Building a 2-Door Extra Cab Gladiator Overland Truck with a HELLCAT

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
In what's sure to be a sea of big and built up Jeep JT Gladiators coming from just about every manufacturer and vendor out there, Dynatrac decided to take a different approach to the problem of, how to stand out in a crowd. Sure, the ultimate goal was to get theirs sitting on a set of ProRock axles, 40" tires and even get a Hellcat HEMI under the hood but to really set it apart from the rest, that would require something a bit more dramatic. In this short video, you'll get to see what it took to transform a bone stock Gladiator into CODEX, a 2-door extra cab overland pickup truck and with 717 horses under the hood.

I should note that this video only covers Stages 1 and 2. Essentially, the chopping of the body and frame, the installation of a supercharged 6.2L Hellcat HEMI, the mounting of a Patriot Camper PCOR box, the wrapping of the body by Sticky Finger Designs and the installation of Rhino Rack roof racks. All this was done to get CODEX out to the 2019 Overland Expo in Flagstaff, AZ and in just a nick of time. The 3rd and final stage will resume soon after and that will include the installation of a Rock Krawler suspension system, Dynatrac XD60 front axle, ProRock 80 rear axle and 40" tires and all at the hands of Savvy Off Road.

Please let us know what you think of the video and the build! :thumb:

PLEASE SUBSCRIBE
If you enjoyed this video, Cindy and I would be grateful if you could please SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel!
https://www.youtube.com/wayalife?sub_confirmation=1

Jsouder53

Hooked
I think I might like it when it’s on 40s.... it just looks odd being on small tires, all top heavy. What size are those now?

Brute

Hooked
Thank you for the video, Eddie & Cindy...that was certainly a lot work put into this build in such a short time...

At the 3:36 mark when it left America’s Most Wanted 4x4 as a two door truck with a Hellcat in it...I would have left it just like that, with the Dynatrac axles, suspension & 40’s of the phase 3 planned...it would have been kick ass...

fiend

Caught the Bug
Thank you for the video, Eddie & Cindy...that was certainly a lot work put into this build in such a short time...

At the 3:36 mark when it left America’s Most Wanted 4x4 as a two door truck with a Hellcat in it...I would have left it just like that, with the Dynatrac axles, suspension & 40’s of the phase 3 planned...it would have been kick ass...

That’s probably where it’s going to end up after overland expo.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

TrailHunter

Hooked
I know its going to be bad ass when finished. Clearly lots of hard work to this point in the build. Can’t wait to see Phase 3.

desertrunner

Maybe it will be better with the 40s but IMO the rear tires need to be like 4-6" farther back to make the proportion look right. It looks like they chopped off all the body and front of the bed but left the back of the bed length. IDK I'm not sold yet but maybe the new suspension and bigger tires will help a bit. The concept and the amount of fab work is amazing though

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

19YJ94

Caught the Bug
Enjoyed the video, thanks Eddie and Cindy. I am definitely liking the build for sure. Going to be a great capable Overlanding vehicle.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Definitely a unique build. Not for everyone, but its pretty damn cool the way it turned out. I live 20 miles from America’s most wanted and have been resisting the urge to go check them out! That could get pricey real quick!

Awesome video as always!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I think I might like it when it’s on 40s.... it just looks odd being on small tires, all top heavy. What size are those now?

you're looking at 315's mounted on stock wheels. Once it's up on 40s, I'm sure it'll look quite different.

I wish they left the bed on there but added some length to it.

I really like the proportions of the cab. And who can't appreciate a Hellcat! 😎

The Hellcat really is AMAZING :crazyeyes:

I think the pic that 13_gecko-rubi posted in the other thread is what I personally would have preferred to see with a Hellcat under the hood. On a build like this, I think it would have made more sense to have thrown in a Cummins under the hood instead. Of course, that's just me.

That’s probably where it’s going to end up after overland expo.

I wouldn't count on it.

I know its going to be bad ass when finished. Clearly lots of hard work to this point in the build. Can’t wait to see Phase 3.

Definitely looking forward to seeing what it looks like after Phase 3 :yup:

Maybe it will be better with the 40s but IMO the rear tires need to be like 4-6" farther back to make the proportion look right. It looks like they chopped off all the body and front of the bed but left the back of the bed length. IDK I'm not sold yet but maybe the new suspension and bigger tires will help a bit. The concept and the amount of fab work is amazing though

I think right now, they're sitting at about a 120" wheel base and their end game will be 123". Still shorter than I would prefer but that and 40" tires should help things out.

Enjoyed the video, thanks Eddie and Cindy. I am definitely liking the build for sure. Going to be a great capable Overlanding vehicle.

Glad you enjoyed the video :)

Thanks for posting the video very interesting. :thumb:

You bet! Glad we could share what we saw with you :)

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
A lot of work, in a short time. I especially liked the part where they made their own brackets for the rack. Nice job on that. The guys doing the wrap made it look easy, such is their skill. The box on the back is cool, but not really my cup of tea.

I can understand Tony’s thinking on the extended cab, I suppose. It actually looked kind of cool, before everything else started.
IMG_3554.JPG
IMG_3557.jpg
In my opinion, which matters for nothing, they missed the mark by losing two doors, and shortening the bed. I don’t know. Maybe that’s what overlanders like. It will get them a lot of attention, though. I’ll be watching for Phase 3, with interest.

I’m glad you two got to film part of it. You always do an amazing job!

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The wrap process is pretty cool.

LOL - I thought so! John at Sticky Finder Design was really cool and I learned a LOT from him while there. :yup:

Thanks for the close up walk around.

So glad you enjoyed what you saw :)

Definitely a unique build. Not for everyone, but its pretty damn cool the way it turned out. I live 20 miles from America’s most wanted and have been resisting the urge to go check them out! That could get pricey real quick!

Awesome video as always!

No kidding? We almost flew out there to cover the build.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
A lot of work, in a short time. I especially liked the part where they made their own brackets for the rack. Nice job on that. The guys doing the wrap made it look easy, such is their skill. The box on the back is cool, but not really my cup of tea.

I can understand Tony’s thinking on the extended cab, I suppose. It actually looked kind of cool, before everything else started.

In my opinion, which matters for nothing, they missed the mark by losing two doors, and shortening the bed. I don’t know. Maybe that’s what overlanders like. It will get them a lot of attention, though. I’ll be watching for Phase 3, with interest.

Not sure what overlanders like but if the end game is to carry more gear and to have greater range to stay out in the wilderness for longer periods of time, I fail to understand how getting rid of cargo capacity or installing a thirsty engine helps any of that. But then, that's just me. Of course, the main purpose of a build like this is to get people talking and at that, I think Dynatrac did well. :yup:

98XJ06LJ

Chopping the cab is a statement. I haven't seen anyone else doing that so good job for stepping outside the box on that part.
As for the rest of the build, I agree with a Cummins for the power plant. Would have made much more sense for an overland build.
The frame should have been bobbed not shortened. Leaving a longer wheel base. If you are going to run PR60/PR80 on 40's wheel base is not going to be a problem, Mel proved that.
As for the Patriot camper box. As stated in the other thread, this looks like an off the shelf box that does not fit the Gladiator size. The idea of the PCOR is good, the fitment is not. PCOR dropped the ball on that.
The roof top tent and awning are badass and a great mod.
As I said before, this is a great idea that got screwed up by the parts that were used.
Props to the Dynatrac team for putting in the hours and a ton of hard work. Crazy they could pull this off in the time frame. Hopefully the lift, axles and 40's bring this thing around.

Great job on the video and thank you Eddie and Cindy for keeping such a hectic schedule to keep all of us in the loop. 👍

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Im hoping for a 2 door Sport to keep entry level down, this gets the imagination going

You can keep hoping but there's no way Jeep is gonna make a 2-door truck.

Chopping the cab is a statement. I haven't seen anyone else doing that so good job for stepping outside the box on that part.
As for the rest of the build, I agree with a Cummins for the power plant. Would have made much more sense for an overland build.
The frame should have been bobbed not shortened. Leaving a longer wheel base. If you are going to run PR60/PR80 on 40's wheel base is not going to be a problem, Mel proved that.
As for the Patriot camper box. As stated in the other thread, this looks like an off the shelf box that does not fit the Gladiator size. The idea of the PCOR is good, the fitment is not. PCOR dropped the ball on that.
The roof top tent and awning are badass and a great mod.
As I said before, this is a great idea that got screwed up by the parts that were used.
Props to the Dynatrac team for putting in the hours and a ton of hard work. Crazy they could pull this off in the time frame. Hopefully the lift, axles and 40's bring this thing around.

Now that was a well thought out and thorough assessment!

Great job on the video and thank you Eddie and Cindy for keeping such a hectic schedule to keep all of us in the loop. 👍

It's been crazy for us for sure but we're so glad that we could share some of the things we get to see with all of you. :yup:

Top Bottom