Tire Carrier that Opens with Gate

BaddestCross

Thinking about changing things up on Fiona... Need to move some of the rear weight forward.

Looking at purchasing a tire carrier that opens with the tailgate. EVO is an option and I know there's others, but it's been so long since I've looked at them I forgot what companies offer them.

If you've got something for sale, let me know. If you've got opinions on different options, please let me know that too. 😎

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

dhughes16

I've heard more good than bad about the EVO carrier for sure.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

I liked my Evo tire carrier a lot. It held up 37x13.5x17 coopers just fine. The only bad stuff I consistently saw was people saying some of the bolts backing out over time. To remedy this I just used red loctite during install. Never had any rattling or misalignment. But that’s just me.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wjtstudios

Hooked
I'll be dumping the bumper as part of the weight reduction plan. I really like the functionality, but that fucker is around 640lbs unloaded.

--

I don’t think it’s that heavy. The arm and mount weight around 50 lbs. the bumper, you are not required to have and I’ve seen them run without and it looks and functions well. My wheel tire combo weight 112 pounds plus air, the 10 gallon tank full will weight about 100 and the shovel is maybe 3-5 lbs. so at most it’s running about 280-300 lbs. if you add the rear bumper and fill it full of water that’s another 100 or so. But no way is it 640 lbs. It is a great system, but a bit pricy.

BaddestCross

I don’t think it’s that heavy. The arm and mount weight around 50 lbs. the bumper, you are not required to have and I’ve seen them run without and it looks and functions well. My wheel tire combo weight 112 pounds plus air, the 10 gallon tank full will weight about 100 and the shovel is maybe 3-5 lbs. so at most it’s running about 280-300 lbs. if you add the rear bumper and fill it full of water that’s another 100 or so. But no way is it 640 lbs. It is a great system, but a bit pricy.

I'm talking about the Atlas bumper and carrier I have on her now.

--

MericaMade

Thinking about changing things up on Fiona... Need to move some of the rear weight forward.

Looking at purchasing a tire carrier that opens with the tailgate. EVO is an option and I know there's others, but it's been so long since I've looked at them I forgot what companies offer them.

If you've got something for sale, let me know. If you've got opinions on different options, please let me know that too. ��

--

I have tested a few out and here are my opinions.

The PS bumper tire carrier was nice but did rattle and it was a lot of work to get the tire off because you needed to remove the light and plate to get to the tire.

Genright tire cage carrier, hands down the best. ZERO noise and easy to install. No skins needed and works with stock rear lights. Stop lock is a cool feature and the rubber isolators are a great idea to stop rattles, Wish I could do this with the EVO one.

EVO mounted carrier, Great all around even though you will feel a little weight when swinging the door open this would be my go to if I was to go away from the cage tire carrier. On the JL removing the light, plate, and camera, to remove tire is a good amount of work. I think its different on the JK.

This weekend I install the EVO cage and skins carrier. IMO best out there and strong as shit, I just need to make some little adjustments to get rid of the little rattling I am hearing. I never once heard the Genright rattle.

BaddestCross

I have tested a few out and here are my opinions.

The PS bumper tire carrier was nice but did rattle and it was a lot of work to get the tire off because you needed to remove the light and plate to get to the tire.

Genright tire cage carrier, hands down the best. ZERO noise and easy to install. No skins needed and works with stock rear lights. Stop lock is a cool feature and the rubber isolators are a great idea to stop rattles, Wish I could do this with the EVO one.

EVO mounted carrier, Great all around even though you will feel a little weight when swinging the door open this would be my go to if I was to go away from the cage tire carrier. On the JL removing the light, plate, and camera, to remove tire is a good amount of work. I think its different on the JK.

This weekend I install the EVO cage and skins carrier. IMO best out there and strong as shit, I just need to make some little adjustments to get rid of the little rattling I am hearing. I never once heard the Genright rattle.
Thanks, but don't want to run a cage-style carrier. Looking for options of carriers that open with the tailgate.

--

SLO

Assuming you are still running 37’s, I would look at the EVO as top of the list.

I personally ran the Teraflex carrier and never had one issue with it. It is still my personal favorite but I know most people on here would never consider anything Teraflex. This is the only thing of theirs I would put on my Jeep. I am selling mine now that I moved to 40’s. I wasn’t planning to ship (was hoping to sell locally) unless you were really interested.

Back to my original suggestion, I’d go EVO if you are totally against Teraflex.

Last edited:

BaddestCross

Assuming you are still running 37’s, I would look at the EVO as top of the list.

I personally ran the Teraflex carrier and never had one issue with it. It is still my personal favorite but I know most people on here would never consider anything Teraflex. This is the only thing of theirs I would put on my Jeep. I am selling mine now that I moved to 40’s. I wasn’t planning to ship (was hoping to sell locally) unless you were really interested.

Back to my original suggestion, I’d go EVO if you are totally against Teraflex.
Yep, running 37s.

Thanks for the offer, but since the only thing I've had from TeraFlex were some rear bump stops and they disintegrated, I'm not a huge fan of them. 😂

--

Arrcherr

Caught the Bug
I've only had the Evo on for about 6 or 7 months and probably 10k miles. I've been really happy, my only complaint would be that the powder coating and Chicago winter's didn't get along to well. It's not to bad but I did get some surface rust. Really happy with it other than that.

Top Bottom