KC Lights Wiring assistance

Kevgund

Hey All.. I am looking for some easy to understand assistance with wiring up my KC Hilites KCL-151 Halogen lights to a switch system. In my case I have the Rough Country MLC-6 switch, which is basically exactly like an Spod, having built-in relays and fuses. I am including the wiring diagram that came with the lights below.

I called KC to ask for assistance and all they said I needed to hook up was the Load (green) wire and the ground to my switch and it will work, well it did not work. I even tried hooking up the yellow and ground to my battery and that also did not work. My last attempt I tried also hooking in the Supply(white) wire to the battery and with the green on my switch. The lights came on but were not controllable by my switch.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this that could help me out with wiring these lights?

I appreciate any assistance, thank you.

Kevin

KCL-151.PNG

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I’ve never grounded lights to a relay. I ground the lights directly to the Jeep. The only connection between the relay and the lights is the power from the relay.

You will need three connections if youre using the relay that comes with it. Yellow to battery, black to Jeep ground as stated above, and green to your switching system.

BaddestCross

You're overthinking this. The switch box is your relay. There should be a numbered switched and ground leg that corresponds to what switch in the cab you want to use to activate the lights. The 2 wires from the KC lights go to those. Done.

That's why you buy the switch panel in the first place. It eliminates the diagram you posted.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Kevgund

You're overthinking this. The switch box is your relay. There should be a numbered switched and ground leg that corresponds to what switch in the cab you want to use to activate the lights. The 2 wires from the KC lights go to those. Done.

That's why you buy the switch panel in the first place. It eliminates the diagram you posted.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407
That's what the guy at KC said.. he told me to use the green load wire as nd black ground so I did and it did not work.

Should I be using the yellow instead?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

That's what the guy at KC said.. he told me to use the green load wire as nd black ground so I did and it did not work.

I think you misunderstood, If you want to use only your switch system with built in relay. Slice the wires coming from the lights, positive wire goes to the switch system ground goes to ground. And you throw the rest of the unnecessary crap away.

Cut at the red line. Trash the yellow circle.
IMG_3200.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

BaddestCross

I think you misunderstood, If you want to use only your switch system with built in relay. Slice the wires coming from the lights, positive wire goes to the switch system ground goes to ground. And you throw the rest of the unnecessary crap away.

View attachment 327413

☝️ This.

Everything in the yellow circle is unneeded if you're using a switch panel. You wire the lights directly to it without any of the extra stuff.

--

Kevgund

View attachment 327413

Thank you man.. that worked perfectly.

Top Bottom