Dilemma

Ctowns

So I scheduled my lift install last week. The bad thing is that due to EJS coming up and this being the "Busy" season they couldn't schedule me until the first week of April.

I hate waiting because I will over think things.... Well guess what I've been thinking :cheesy: (this sucks)

The AEV 2.5" lift installed and an AEV ProCal will be right about $1800. If they would have scheduled me within the first week I wouldn't have batted an eye at the install.

BUT now I'm wondering if I should just skip it and install a lift myself (like a teraflex 2.5 coil and Bilstein 5100's) and spend the extra $1000 on front bumper & winch? OR (other options)???

Or am I just over thinking this and should just leave well enough alone and wait until the first week of April?

gtony12

Caught the Bug
So I scheduled my lift install last week. The bad thing is that due to EJS coming up and this being the "Busy" season they couldn't schedule me until the first week of April.

I hate waiting because I will over think things.... Well guess what I've been thinking :cheesy: (this sucks)

The AEV 2.5" lift installed and an AEV ProCal will be right about $1800. If they would have scheduled me within the first week I wouldn't have batted an eye at the install.

BUT now I'm wondering if I should just skip it and install a lift myself (like a teraflex 2.5 coil and Bilstein 5100's) and spend the extra $1000 on front bumper & winch? OR (other options)???

Or am I just over thinking this and should just leave well enough alone and wait until the first week of April?

Me personally would install it myself as long as I have the tools and place to do it, to me that's the fun of owning a jeep :yup:. If you can save money by doing it. Then more money for more parts, win win situation! :twocents::thumb:

Rivertoys

I recently installed a Rock Krawler 2.5 Max Travel on mine. I did it completely by myself, and it was a lot of fun. I started one weekend, and finished the next. Pretty much didn't touch it through the week between. Seemed like I was doing everything at least twice, because it was a learning process. I feel I completely understand everything down there now though, and won't have any fears if bad things happen on the trail and I have to crawl under there and figure it out. A Jeep is like a toy for adults to play with...doing it yourself is what it's about, IMHO.

The only thing I didn't do myself was the welding, my neighbor did that.

I had planned to have mine regeared at some point, but I'm reading more and more on it.... I might tackle that one too.....
doh.gif

Ctowns

Hmm I hadn't given any thought to welding (I don't know how to weld). Is there any welding involved in the Teraflex 2.5 Coil kit?

For clarity I've never installed a lift but I've been around jeeps for a long time and have done as much work as I can but most of it still basic (brakes, water pumps etc).

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Hmm I hadn't given any thought to welding (I don't know how to weld). Is there any welding involved in the Teraflex 2.5 Coil kit?

For clarity I've never installed a lift but I've been around jeeps for a long time and have done as much work as I can but most of it still basic (brakes, water pumps etc).

Nope you shouldn't need to weld anything.

Rivertoys

The RK kits has you weld the rear trackbar relocate as a back-up. It's bolted, but they ask that you weld it before going off-road. I ran it around town for a week or so, and did the alignment before having it welded. Everything else was easy with hand tools..... just have BIG 21mm wrenches and sockets ready.

1BAMFR

Install it yourself!

I would recomend doing it with a buddy that is handy!

It never fails that you need that extra 3rd or 4th hand to hold something or tighten something!

suicideking

I would do the Teraflex over the AEV.

Does somewhat depend on what you want to do with it though. AEV are considered better lifts for street driving, not really meant for wheeling because of the relocation brackets they use. If you want to wheel it, don't get the AEV, get something else that uses control arms instead of the brackets. AEV also tends to be way overpriced for what you get.

Tackerdown

Banned
Yeah if your handy do it yourself and if you don't have the tools buy them with the money you save. Then you'll have what you need to work on it later down the road.

Sent from my PC36100 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ctowns

Yeah if your handy do it yourself and if you don't have the tools buy them with the money you save. Then you'll have what you need to work on it later down the road.

I'm going to look at this approach this weekend. I have most if not all of the tools already.

Rivertoys

Got the TF 2.5 Coil lift on my JK. Didn't have to weld anything. The front bump stomps where a PITA though.

Yeah, that's fab work...so to speak.

I made the front out of hockey pucks, epoxied together, drilled, countersunk and bolted to the perch. A 90 degree drill was the trick to making the holes for me. I epoxied them to the perch, then drilled everything at the same time. I was going to just epoxy, but bolting wasn't hard and ensures I won't lose them.

On the back I used 1/4" wall, 2" steel box tubing (cut from an old trailer hitch insert). Had to use "custom" length bolts (cut to size) to attach it to the stock holes.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
If you get the teraflex bumpstops extensions its easy to install, took me and a friend about 3 hours to do my 2.5" coil lift

jbaskin28

If you get the teraflex bumpstops extensions its easy to install, took me and a friend about 3 hours to do my 2.5" coil lift

That's what I had was the extension. They were the hardest part to install. Also did mine in about 3-3.5 hrs

rtguy1

The aev 2.5 kit is a good kit. I ran it while saving up for long arms and coil overs. It has the same basic components as any other 2.5 kit and works great. Comes with progressive coils and bilsteins. Do the install yourself. It's not hard, maybe like 6-8 hours if you take your time. Don't let others who have no experience with the aev 2.5 tell you otherwise. When it comes to bigger lifts like 3.5 and up, there are better options out there. But at 2.5 they all have about the same components and aev is top quality. My kit still looked brand new when I shipped it off a couple days ago. I cleaned the dirt off it and bam, perfect condition. Never had a single issue with handling, steering, sag, etc. my opinion of course:standing wave:

Top Bottom