Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jeep jk locks up in 4x4

Nothing but a Thing Snboarder113's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dstrick88 View Post
    No noise in 2 high, I can shift it into all gears including neutral. I get some resistance but it goes back to 2 high and drives fine. My thinking is itís not fully engaging.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    I hope thatís all it is for ya but that doesnít make sense to me. When it doesnít fully engage at the linkage you get grinding and popping out of gear or popping into neutral. You described it still sending normal power to the rear but completely stopped front axle from turning which makes me think itís something internal like the fork or sliding clutch jammed on something broken not allowing the chain to turn. But I havenít been inside a jkís t case personally, disclaimer.

Jeep jk locks up in 4x4

I would say gears, but you said it hasnít been re geared. Did you use 4x4 before you switched the bushing? Do you have a programmer?

It sounds to me like it is not disengaging the high range gear, and then when low engages it binds up. Shifting back to high, low disengages like it should and everything works.

What I don't know is what could be causing it, as I haven't been inside of one of these so I'm not sure how the shift mechanism is set up.

Quote Originally Posted by jdofmemi View Post
    It sounds to me like it is not disengaging the high range gear, and then when low engages it binds up. Shifting back to high, low disengages like it should and everything works.

What I don't know is what could be causing it, as I haven't been inside of one of these so I'm not sure how the shift mechanism is set up.
    From the research Iíve done Jeep t case issues are a dark hole, everyone knows how to replace a bushing but not much besides that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mybadjk View Post
    I would say gears, but you said it hasnít been re geared. Did you use 4x4 before you switched the bushing? Do you have a programmer?

Gears are in tact and fine, 4x4 was used last winter. Only info Iíve found is if tires are different size and air pressure they could be spinning at different speeds?

Jeep jk locks up in 4x4

Disconnect your drive shafts from the TC and disconnect the TC shift cable at the TC. Then try to shift the TC at the TC between 2H, 4H, N, and 4L while someone else is in the cab working the transmission. If everything works fine then youíve eliminated the TC as your problem. If you still have the problem, then youíve probably ruled out the linkage and anything at the axles.

Last edited by fiend; 05-29-2019 at 05:20 PM.

Changes the transfer case fluid and didnít see any metal flakes. Drove it after and still having the same issue. More than likely will take it to my 4x4 shop at the end of the month

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12