auto transmisson

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
not 100% sure on a CJ5 but on a CJ7 with a 258, I believe it used a model 999 automatic transmission.

Robar

The Enforcer
not 100% sure on a CJ5 but on a CJ7 with a 258, I believe it used a model 999 automatic transmission.

I don't remember for sure either, but I think my 81 CJ7 with a 258 straight 6 engine had an A904 3 speed automatic transmission. Not sure on the model number, but it was a torque little bastard. :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I don't remember for sure either, but I think my 81 CJ7 with a 258 straight 6 engine had an A904 3 speed automatic transmission. Not sure on the model number, but it was a torque little bastard. :yup:

yeah, could be a 904.

Little Nicky

Both Robar and Wayoflife are correct. Four auto's came in CJ-7 only. 904,909,999 those were behind 4 and 6 cyl. and the a TH400 behind and 304 V-8 with quadra-trac. Problem is a CJ-5 never came with a auto because it is about 10" short than a 7. This would make a super short drive shaft with steep angles.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Both Robar and Wayoflife are correct. Four auto's came in CJ-7 only. 904,909,999 those were behind 4 and 6 cyl. and the a TH400 behind and 304 V-8 with quadra-trac. Problem is a CJ-5 never came with a auto because it is about 10" short than a 7. This would make a super short drive shaft with steep angles.

LOL!! i guess that would explain why i wasn't sure about a CJ5. i knew it was something like that, thanks for the confirmation - been a while since i last worked on a CJ. :crazyeyes:

Top Bottom