15" Alloy Wheels Vs. 15" Steel wheels

Discount Tire

This is a very popular thread topic among JK and JKU owners so I thought it would be appropriate to post this write up here.

As an enthusiast myself, and a cost conscious one at that, I thought I should share some insights with you all on this subject.

Those that are thinking about purchasing 15" steel wheels may want to consider purchasing 15" Alloy wheels instead. Here's why:

First, WEIGHT. Steel wheels are extremely heavy. The average 15x8 soft 8 styled wheel weighs approx. 27 lbs. On the aluminum side the average 15x8 alloy weighs only about 20lbs. This is a 35% weight difference. 7lbs per wheel may not sound like much to some of you but those that know about unsprung weight will tell you that every ounce you can save at your wheels is worth saving. The less weight you have in your wheels and tires the more $$$ you will save at the pump and the more power you will have at your feet when you want it.

Second FITMENT: Many of you have already found that 15" steel wheels are very hit and miss with brake clearance. Steel wheels are manufactured in two pieces, the center is stamped into shape and then welded to the barrel. This stamping process leaves flanges at the back of the spokes (or holes in the soft 8's case) and these flanges often make contact with the Jk's brake calipers. The easiest fix for this is to run spacers (not recommended by the wheel manufacturer). Running spacers adds $$$ to your wheel and tire package and again, weight. (The common Spidertrax bolt on spacers run $99.00 for the pair of 2) Some may try to grind down the wheel or caliper this is not recommended either. Grinding down the wheel can jeopardize the strength of the wheel and grinding down your brake caliper can be enough for some dealers to void your vehicles warranty. As for the 15" alloys listed below... They fit like a glove with no need for spacers. The 15x8 alloys below can run a 35x12.50-15 without any rubbing. (min leveling kit/mini lift needed)

Now on to STRENGTH: This is the controversial one and I personally don't know which one is stronger. I have heard arguments for both but I haven't seen any data to support either. Some say steel wheels are stronger and if bent can be straightened. Some say aluminum alloy wheels are stronger and have higher resistance for impacts. I have yet to see data from any manufacturer for impact testing. Both wheels are tested on a pass fail basis and both wheels, for DOT purposes, pass. According to the manufacturers of both steel wheels and the alloys listed below all of them have a load carrying capacity of 2400 lbs. :thinking: I'm thinking, I might be able to have some testing done for this subject. I will keep you posted.

FINISH: Steel rusts, Aluminum alloy doesn't. Enough said here I think. Either one can be touched up easily if scratched or scuffed.

This all leads us down to COST (updated 1/22/2013). Most people would think that with all the benefits for running alloy wheels there would be a pretty good cost difference as well. This is not always the case. The Level 8 Tracker below has been brought in to help you get more for your money and it is doing just that. Here are package details based off current pricing with Jk-Forum member Discount. (Prices do not include tax or installation)

Cragar Soft 8 with 35" KM2's -(one of our favorite tires :ya: )
15x8 Cragar Soft 8 13mm offset Black: $80.00 each with FREE shipping (includes center cap)
35x12.50R15 BFG KM2: $240.00 each
Mount and balance: FREE
NON TPMS valves: $3.00 each
Installation kit: (lugs): $45.00
Jk-forum member Discount with purchase of 5 tires: -$50.00 off total
Sub Total package for 5 each: $1610.00

Add cost of bolt-on Spidertrax spacers: $99.00/pair (X 2)
Grand total: $1808.00
Now for comparison the Level 8 Tracker with 35" KM2's.
15x8 Level 8 Tracker -19mm offset Matte Black: $99.00 each with FREE shipping
35x12.50R15 BFG KM2: $240.00 each
Mount and balance: FREE
NON TPMS valves: $3.00 each
Installation kit: (lugs + hub rings): $45.00
Jk-forum member Discount with purchase of 5 tires: -$50.00 off total
Sub Total package for 5 each: $1705.00

*No need to purchase wheel spacers
Final cost is $1705.00

Those that want to can probably figure out the fuel savings in an average year to add to this cost difference. I'll leave that up to the mathematicians.

So your next question may be, what 15" alloys fit my 2007+ JK or JKU? Here's a list of the current 15" alloy wheels we guarantee fit.

15x8 -30mm Level 8 Tracker Full Matte Black: Wheel Details - Discount Tire Direct
15x8 -19mm Level 8 Tracker Full Matte Black: http://www.discounttiredirect.com/d...ProductSize.do?pc=16168&tmn=Tracker&typ=Truck
15x8 -30mm Level 8 Tracker Polished: Wheel Details - Discount Tire Direct
15x8 -19mm MB Razor Black and Machined: Wheel Details - Discount Tire Direct
15x8 -19mm Level 8 Punch Anthracite w/machined lip: http://www.discounttiredirect.com/d...itProductSize.do?pc=51008&tmn=Punch&typ=Truck
15x8 -19mm MB Chaos 5 Black and Machined: Wheel Details - Discount Tire Direct
15x8 -19mm MB Chaos 5 Silver and Machined: Wheel Details - Discount Tire Direct
15x8 -19mm MB TKO Full Matte Black: Wheel Details - Discount Tire Direct
15x8 -12mm Black Rock D-Window Alloy Full Matte Black: Wheel Details - Discount Tire Direct
15x8 -12mm Black Rock D-Window Alloy Tungsten and Matte Black: Wheel Details - Discount Tire Direct
15x8 -19mm Black Rock Viper Tungsten and Matte Black: Wheel Details - Discount Tire Direct
15x8 -19mm Black Rock Viper Tungsten and Silver: Wheel Details - Discount Tire Direct
15x8.5 -19mm American Outlaw Deptuy Matte Black/Machined: http://www.discounttiredirect.com/d...tProductSize.do?pc=73456&typ=Truck&tmn=Deputy
15x8.5 -19mm American Outlaw Deputy Full Matte Black: http://www.discounttiredirect.com/d...tProductSize.do?pc=73458&typ=Truck&tmn=Deputy
15x10 -38mm Black Rock D-Window Alloy Full Matte Black: Wheel Details - Discount Tire Direct
15x10 -38mm Black Rock D-Window Alloy Tungsten and Matte Black: Wheel Details - Discount Tire Direct
15x8 -19mm MB72 (Discontinued)

Images
15" Level 8 Tracker -30mm
Jeep3_zpsb3975102.jpg

15" MB TKO:
15x8MB_TKO1.jpg

15" Razor :
attachment.php

15" Razor :
attachment.php

15" Chaos 5:
attachment.php

15" Chaos 5: x 33x12.50R15 - example of how far a 15x8 -19mm offset will stick out with a 12.5" wide tire
attachment.php

15x8.5 ET-19 American Outlaw Deptuy
83d9952359058a04ca63980074d82969_zpse5e9b81a.jpg

68f6756efa8c55b1fdfd5fe43d627485_zpsa868814d.jpg

Last edited:

wvjeepin

So I want the package deal with the alloy wheels. How much including five tires and I wonder if there is a discount tire near me, 25438

Discount Tire

So I want the package deal with the alloy wheels. How much including five tires and I wonder if there is a discount tire near me, 25438

There's a few different alloy wheels to choose from so the price will very a little. Give TC a call at 1.888.459.4080 ext 51826 He has a 2012 JKU and knows the fitment well. He can run through your options and make sure you get all discounts that apply. Mention this website when you call and if you order 5 tires we'll give you an extra $50.00 discount instantly off your total. (mail order discount only, local stores are not required to give the discount)

miguel250r

1380922478788.jpg 1380922489033.jpg

Just got these from discount tire 35x12.50r15 kuhmo road adventure m/t on 15x10 crager soft 8 with 3.75"bs and -38 offset wheels and tires shipped to my door already mounted and balanced in the $1200 range great deal went with a 10 wide because I like the look of a deep lip. No wheel spacers needed for this combo. Oh and its a 4" RC lift
Sent from my DROID RAZR using WAYALIFE mobile app

1yellowjk

I like those wheels^

The only down side I have found about going with Alloy vs Steel is doing the "make your own" beadlocks, other than that I love my MB72's from you guys...best service ever! I guess that's why I have purchased 10 rims and tires from DT. :)

My new JK and my old JKU, both with 35's and MB72's.

Attachments

• Gecko Jeep.jpg
    Gecko Jeep.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 222
  • yellowjk barnwell.jpg
    yellowjk barnwell.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:

Discount Tire

I like those wheels^

The only down side I have found about going with Alloy vs Steel is doing the "make your own" beadlocks, other than that I love my MB72's from you guys...best service ever! I guess that's why I have purchased 10 rims and tires from DT. :)

My new JK and my old JKU, both with 35's and MB72's.

Awesome! Thank you very much.

dangjalopy

Hell if discount tire has an account here i am here to stay! I buy all my tires for every vehicle i own there with one exception...my MC!

RuffneckTwoZero

When I tried to buy my 35x12.5x15 KM2s the local Discount Tires that I called wouldn't mount them on my 15x8s! I had to go to another company that I hate purchasing from. I just advise calling ahead and making sure your store will do it on that rim size. I'm in Washington if that makes a difference.

Top Bottom