Which Diff Cover Gets More Abuse?

sm31

I think I may be asking a stupid question... but that never stopped me before.

Intuitively, I would say the front. But since the rear axle may be a little harder to manage in terms of placement, I'm thinking it's possible the rear cover gets more scuffs on average. I've hit mine a few times each but not one substantially more than the other, and I don't have any conclusions to draw from personal experience.

And to the root of my question... I have a Ruffstuff diff cover in my possession but likely won't have the allowance to purchase another for about 2 months. My jeep hobby does not play well with my cycling hobby or my skiing hobby, so I clearly have a prioritization problem in addition to my tendency to ask dumb questions. :rolleyes2:

fiend

Caught the Bug
The rear is more prone to getting peeled off. If you grind down the perimeter so that the pumpkin is lower than the cover, you can minimize risk.

Judging by appearances, my front cover takes more abuse than the rear.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

TheGrendel

The rear is more prone to getting peeled off. If you grind down the perimeter so that the pumpkin is lower than the cover, you can minimize risk.

Judging by appearances, my front cover takes more abuse than the rear.

i agree with this. most of the time rear housing is taking the abuse sliding over things. it's just the lip that catches. front takes more direct hits.

sm31

i agree with this. most of the time rear housing is taking the abuse sliding over things. it's just the lip that catches. front takes more direct hits.

Thanks! Good point... probably also means I need to work on my "reverse" skills. I've got a couple of good knocks virtually in the middle of my rear diff cover but I'm guessing it's from reversing to get a better line on an obstacle and not paying attention to what the ass-end is doing.

sm31

I have the RuffStuff Diff covers, they are heavy!

My JKUR currently has a bit more rake than I like. Was considering front spacers but I think mounting the Ruffstuff diff cover on the back should even things out nicely. :D

That thing is freakishly heavy!

RCVRY

My JKUR currently has a bit more rake than I like. Was considering front spacers but I think mounting the Ruffstuff diff cover on the back should even things out nicely. :D

That thing is freakishly heavy!

A heavy diff cover won’t help. You need a big girl in the backseat. I’m talking Amazon big.

Ruvicon

A heavy differential cover won’t help your “rake” issue as axles are unsprung weight. Both of my stock covers leaked from hitting rocks in front, or dragging over them in the rear. Go with the big Amazon.

And I’ve got two new ARB covers for sale in Recycler section, if you’re interested.

WJCO

Meme King
Seriously, with good lines, the front won't get hit too much. I've got a few marks on my front cover though. But on the rear diff, the underside of the pumpkin has taken a ton of hits. I've seen a few people with an OEM cover on the rear get it peeled back. So I would say if you're set on covers, do the rear one first.

sm31

Thanks!! I really thought there was something lacking in my ability to pick a line with dings on the back to match the front but this makes sense.

Not that my line-picking abilities aren't questionable...

With this recent lift, I’ve been feeling pretty invincible on some of my go-to runs. That said, they only spot I’ve been hanging up at times is the rear diff and the rear shock mounts. Got my eyes on Metalcloak 6paks to lift that rear shock mounting point up a bit, but that won’t be until next year at the earliest. In the mean time, whenever I feel it connect, I just back up a couple inches, jam some rocks under the rear tires and boost over. Usually gives me enough of a bump to avoid dusting the case. But to answer your question, hah, yea go rear for now. I work in a steel shop and I’m considering welding some little plates onto the lower shock mounts:hmm: happy wheeling. 3759EC05-BA1F-4D06-9478-A8A07FFF6E9C.jpg

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
With this recent lift, I’ve been feeling pretty invincible on some of my go-to runs. That said, they only spot I’ve been hanging up at times is the rear diff and the rear shock mounts. Got my eyes on Metalcloak 6paks to lift that rear shock mounting point up a bit, but that won’t be until next year at the earliest. In the mean time, whenever I feel it connect, I just back up a couple inches, jam some rocks under the rear tires and boost over. Usually gives me enough of a bump to avoid dusting the case. But to answer your question, hah, yea go rear for now. I work in a steel shop and I’m considering welding some little plates onto the lower shock mounts:hmm: happy wheeling. View attachment 328645

Metal joke is garage.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

USMC Wrangler

With this recent lift, I’ve been feeling pretty invincible on some of my go-to runs. That said, they only spot I’ve been hanging up at times is the rear diff and the rear shock mounts. Got my eyes on Metalcloak 6paks to lift that rear shock mounting point up a bit, but that won’t be until next year at the earliest. In the mean time, whenever I feel it connect, I just back up a couple inches, jam some rocks under the rear tires and boost over. Usually gives me enough of a bump to avoid dusting the case. But to answer your question, hah, yea go rear for now. I work in a steel shop and I’m considering welding some little plates onto the lower shock mounts:hmm: happy wheeling. View attachment 328645

These actually work for lifting the shock mount and protecting the LCA mounts...

http://evomfg.com/EVO Rock Star Rear Skids

Overall "build thread"
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?26097-I-guess-it-s-the-quot-Super-Stocker-quot-build

Top Bottom