Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ‘11 JK Sport - Painfully sluggish!

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by longarmwj View Post
    If you wheel your Jeep, especially in dusty environments, do NOT get an open element style intake. Get one that is sealed. I run an AFE intake on my 17 JK and I went to clean the filter the other day and there was nothing beyond ordinary dust on it, and the intake tube was free of debris.
    Great suggestion! Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Knows a Thing or Two TheGrendel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Predfan75 View Post
    My wife just wants it to be a daily driver at this point.

if you're in a sport, your gearing is no better than 3.73 but could be as low as 3.21. regear to get some power to the ground.

From the sound of it, you may have the 3.21 gearing. My JKUR (4.10) is certainly not "peppy" but I find it livable even with my 35" tires on heavy beadlocks. Unless there is something wrong with the power output, that would be my guess.

And it's always nice to speak with a Predators fan.

Just turbocharge it. I’ve heard nothing ever goes wrong when you throw boost on a 3.8

Captain Imachurity
    2003 WJ Build Thread
    2017 Gobi JKU Build Thread
    2016 Renegade Sport Build Thread
    2019 Compass Sport Build Thread

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by longarmwj View Post
    Just turbocharge it. I’ve heard nothing ever goes wrong when you throw boost on a 3.8

Yeah I’m not sure about that!

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by sm31 View Post
    From the sound of it, you may have the 3.21 gearing. My JKUR (4.10) is certainly not "peppy" but I find it livable even with my 35" tires on heavy beadlocks. Unless there is something wrong with the power output, that would be my guess.

And it's always nice to speak with a Predators fan.
    Absolutely! Go PREDS! I will need to figure out which gear ratio I have and look at options from there. Thank you!

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGrendel View Post
    if you're in a sport, your gearing is no better than 3.73 but could be as low as 3.21. regear to get some power to the ground.
    That seems to be the unanimous suggestion. Thank you!

Caught the Bug
    New gearing will make a huge noticeable difference, intake, exhaust & tune in comparison, not so much. Google "Jeep JK 3.8 Gear Chart" be sure to use the one for the automatic and keep yourself in the middle of the green area for a on street daily driver. Be sure you measure your tire size manually for the calculation. The 3.8l engine makes decent power, its the 42RLE automatic trans that kills the whole driving experience. I would skip the bolt-ons and go straight for gears.

I'm running 3.73's and 295/7017's. Been happy. Also calibrated with Superchips. 2011 JK.
    DID I MENTION MY RIG IS FOR SALE?

“Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace.”

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do...
    Explore. Dream. Discover."

"Take a compass, because it's always awkward when you have to eat a friend."

Hooked
    Quote Originally Posted by Predfan75 View Post
    That seems to be the unanimous suggestion. Thank you!

Ya, the super charger bit was a joke (for the love of GOD do not do that). You likely have 3.21 gears (which means you didn't have much torque in the first place). I would explore getting regearing done. For a pavement princess, you likely can go with 4.56 or 4.88 gears (more torque on the low end and higher RPMs at the high end). I went from 3.21's to 4.88's on a 3.8l and it was night and day.

If there is a chance you may start wheeling it, you might want to look into the more expensive option of replacing the front Dana 30 axle and housing with a Dana 44. If you wheel the D30, you will likely break it over time and it is expensive to regear twice.

I would check with Essentially Offroad in Murfreesboro (I know, the is hell and gone for you, but they are a good shop) for pricing.

I am a huge Preds fan, still play hockey and went to every home game in the 2017 cup run, love the handle man!
    2017 White JK : (build thread)
    Synergy 3"/2", Dynatrack Trail Leader Package
    Dynatrac Pro Grip Kit, PSC Big Bore Steering Kit
    MCE Fenders, 10th Anniversary Hood, Borla Climber Exhaust
    ATX Slabs, Nitto Trail Grappler 37's
    Shrock Works Front Middy, LoD Destroyer Rear
    Genright Sliders, Warn VR12-S ,

Oh yeah, and VENGEANCE.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast