Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 11 JK Sport - Painfully sluggish!

Truthfully on a 3.8 with larger tires, I would skip the 4.56 gears and go straight for 4.88s.
    Captain Imachurity
    2003 WJ Build Thread
    2017 Gobi JKU Build Thread
    2016 Renegade Sport Build Thread
    2019 Compass Sport Build Thread

Im pretty sure the problem with the Jeep is your choice of hockey teams.
    IMG_1433.jpg
    GO HAWKS!!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by catahoula View Post
    I'm running 3.73's and 295/7017's. Been happy. Also calibrated with Superchips. 2011 JK.
    Im glad to hear from someone that has the same make and model. Thank you!

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by Torrin View Post
    Ya, the super charger bit was a joke (for the love of GOD do not do that). You likely have 3.21 gears (which means you didn't have much torque in the first place). I would explore getting regearing done. For a pavement princess, you likely can go with 4.56 or 4.88 gears (more torque on the low end and higher RPMs at the high end). I went from 3.21's to 4.88's on a 3.8l and it was night and day.

If there is a chance you may start wheeling it, you might want to look into the more expensive option of replacing the front Dana 30 axle and housing with a Dana 44. If you wheel the D30, you will likely break it over time and it is expensive to regear twice.

I would check with Essentially Offroad in Murfreesboro (I know, the is hell and gone for you, but they are a good shop) for pricing.

I am a huge Preds fan, still play hockey and went to every home game in the 2017 cup run, love the handle man!
    Man thank you so much for this detailed information! This really gets me on the right path for a resolution.

As for the Preds... we have another 2-3 years in my opinion before this window closes so weve got to get the PP figured out and make another run!

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajkaz View Post
    New gearing will make a huge noticeable difference, intake, exhaust & tune in comparison, not so much. Google "Jeep JK 3.8 Gear Chart" be sure to use the one for the automatic and keep yourself in the middle of the green area for a on street daily driver. Be sure you measure your tire size manually for the calculation. The 3.8l engine makes decent power, its the 42RLE automatic trans that kills the whole driving experience. I would skip the bolt-ons and go straight for gears.
    Will do that right now! Thank you!

11 JK Sport - Painfully sluggish!

Our last Jeep was a 2011 sport as well. Was running bfg At KO tires in a 33 (they tend to run small so was probably a high 31 low 32) with 3.21 gears on a superchips tune, volant cold air intake, and afe exhaust. Did ok until one long fast 12 hr. slog from Idaho back to Portland towing our little bantam trailer that fully loaded is 700ish lbs. By the end it was gutless power wise (not that it had much before but was at least driveable) but Im talking pedal to the floor to do maybe 5mph up a hill to the in-laws cabin at the end. Was quite a bit better the next day, but a long bit short of how it was before. We traded it in a couple months later. It idled fine, nothing wierd. Just permanent power loss. Never figured it out.

Last edited by Abntroop; 06-07-2019 at 12:36 AM.
    Matthew Nicholas
    The Wampa- 16 JK Rubicon Hard Rock
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the RECOMMENDED-Jeep-Parts-amp-Accessories section of this forum will help support this forum and at no cost to you.

You said you used the programmer for a "tune" but did you use it to program the new tire size? If not, that will throw off the shift points and speedometer.

I don't disagree with the need for a regear, but start with the easy stuff. Don't invest in a gear job until you know what tire size you're going to end up with when you're "done" upgrading.

--
    Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407
    Build Thread: The Adventures of Fiona
    '08 JKR Rescue Green 2-Door

Quote Originally Posted by Predfan75 View Post
    Torin - It is a Sport trim level. It's actually my wife's JK that I bought her after she kicked cancer's ass! So, it is definitely a pavement ride. I assumed the bigger wheels and tires was part of the issues and had I known the HP difference between the 3.8 and 3.6, I would have shopped for a 2012 or newer. I'm stuck now because she is in love with it...lol I would welcome your recommendations on the regear. I am a grease monkey on the side but don't think I want to get into that work.
    Congrats to you and your wife! Way to stay strong in the fight!

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by Abntroop View Post
    Our last Jeep was a 2011 sport as well. Was running bfg At KO tires in a 33 (they tend to run small so was probably a high 31 low 32) with 3.21 gears on a superchips tune, volant cold air intake, and afe exhaust. Did ok until one long fast 12 hr. slog from Idaho back to Portland towing our little bantam trailer that fully loaded is 700ish lbs. By the end it was gutless power wise (not that it had much before but was at least driveable) but Im talking pedal to the floor to do maybe 5mph up a hill to the in-laws cabin at the end. Was quite a bit better the next day, but a long bit short of how it was before. We traded it in a couple months later. It idled fine, nothing wierd. Just permanent power loss. Never figured it out.

Man thats crazy! Luckily ours isnt that bad, its just the fact it feels like Im having to really push it to get down the road. I can run 70 mph on the interstate but I have to keep the pedal hammered down for sure. Thank you for the feedback!

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by Clutch View Post
    Congrats to you and your wife! Way to stay strong in the fight!

Thank you so much! She is a fighter and very lucky to have such a great outcome. We dont take it for granite for sure as there are tons of folks who dont win the battle! Shes always wanted a Jeep but it was never the right time. So, I say screw that and took some savings I had and found the perfect one for her. She is truly in love with it so Im determined to get the driving experience better for her! Thanks again!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast