Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rear Wheel Bearing noise?

Rear Wheel Bearing noise?

I've got a noise that sounds like it's coming from my rear passenger side...rear wheel bearing? It's an intermittent sound...and only seems to occur after driving for awhile after it heats up...this happening on my 2015 Anvil JKUR...PR 60 semifloat…

Recently had all four rotors replaced, fairly certain it is not a brake noise...braking does not change the noise.

If it is a rear wheel bearing, is it easier (aka cheaper) to have the bearing cut off the axle and find someone with a press to put back on...or order a new axle with new bearings already pressed on?

Mahalo...

Don’t you have Daynatrac on both jeeps? If so new axle is an overkill I think

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Nothing but a Thing boardsurfer's Avatar
    Same axle/shaft here. I had a new bearing and seal pressed on a few months ago. I think I was all in $90-100 parts and labor. I dont know what a new shaft cost though.

Quote Originally Posted by boardsurfer View Post
    Same axle/shaft here. I had a new bearing and seal pressed on a few months ago. I think I was all in $90-100 parts and labor. I dont know what a new shaft cost though.
    That's definitely cheaper than a new axle shaft...thanks

I know its not the same thing but on my Titan I had the rear axle seal leak. Had to remove the bearing and ring and have all new parts pressed on. The parts were under $100 and had it done at a local NAPA for $25. Pulled the shaft dropped it off with the parts and came back in an hour to pick it up all assembled. Pretty easy and cost effective.

Since you are cutting the bearing off yourself, and if you are feeling like you want a cool task to complete, try heating the new bearing up with a heat gun and it will drop right on the shaft. Then tap it down with a punch. You will know when it is seated by the sound as you tap it. I believe the top threshold temp to heat it up is somewhere around 300 degrees F. using an infrared thermometer. You can get the bearing number from Dynatrac and cross reference it at your local Napa. Of course, the simpler method is to have the shop press the bearings on and off.

There's pros/cons to each (repair vs replace). Press services could range from 20-100 bucks to do the job. Seriously that's one tool that I would invest in if you own a jeep. I wouldn't necessarily recommend a press if you're not staying on the island that long though. But once you move, it is a great tool. Even if you just need to help out a friend.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Is it oscillating?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

2012 Dozer JK
    -Dynatrac PR44/Rubicon Rear
    -Nitto 37” Trail Grapplers
    -Rock Krawler 2.5” Lift
    -ATX Slabs
    -Warn VR8
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

2012 Billet Silver JKUR
    -EVO DTD front and rear
    -Dynatrac PR60/PR80
    -EVO High Clearance Long Arm
    -Nitto 40” Trail grapplers
    -KMC Machetes
    -JE Reel 1410/1350 Driveshafts
    -Warn CTI 9.5
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

1975 DJ5

Quote Originally Posted by Slimebones View Post
    Since you are cutting the bearing off yourself, and if you are feeling like you want a cool task to complete, try heating the new bearing up with a heat gun and it will drop right on the shaft. Then tap it down with a punch. You will know when it is seated by the sound as you tap it. I believe the top threshold temp to heat it up is somewhere around 300 degrees F. using an infrared thermometer. You can get the bearing number from Dynatrac and cross reference it at your local Napa. Of course, the simpler method is to have the shop press the bearings on and off.
    Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    There's pros/cons to each (repair vs replace). Press services could range from 20-100 bucks to do the job. Seriously that's one tool that I would invest in if you own a jeep. I wouldn't necessarily recommend a press if you're not staying on the island that long though. But once you move, it is a great tool. Even if you just need to help out a friend.
    I won't be doing it myself...we sold the house & renting a condo temporarily until our youngest grads high school next year...

Quote Originally Posted by Brute View Post
    I won't be doing it myself...we sold the house & renting a condo temporarily until our youngest grads high school next year...
    Exactly. You're too old for this shit. Bring/ship the Jeep down here (since I know you'll be buying property here) , supply the parts, and I'll provide my press/services, beer, BBQ, and we'll have a good time.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast