2WD vs 4WD suspension

longarmwj

Well I guess since the Chinese attacked us we have to re post this.

Does anybody know the differences in the 4wd vs 2WD suspensions on the renegade and compass?? From what i can tell the knuckles seem different but the struts seem the same, which begs the question, Will trailhawk struts fit on a non trailhawk?

I’m wanting to retrofit a set into Drew’s compass.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

black pearl

Hooked
It’s funny you posted this. I was wondering if it was the struts or Springs that give the trailhawk A taller stance. I have the compass altitude and wanted a touch more hight.
So I’m curious to the answer as well.

longarmwj

It’s funny you posted this. I was wondering if it was the struts or Springs that give the trailhawk A taller stance. I have the compass altitude and wanted a touch more hight.
So I’m curious to the answer as well.

When I compare part numbers, it appears that the only difference are the knuckles front and rear. Maybe the added height comes from the knuckles??

Ironically enough the part number for the struts are the same for 2WD and trailhawk, yet ATP says their lift only works on 4WD

black pearl

Hooked
Is it a spacer lift that goes on top of the strut? If so I should work if it’s the same part.

Mine is 4wd but when parked next to a trailhawk, it seems taller than mine. I’ll have to start doing some comparisons. I only noticed this on Saturday. But have thought about a little lift.

longarmwj

Is it a spacer lift that goes on top of the strut? If so I should work if it’s the same part.

Mine is 4wd but when parked next to a trailhawk, it seems taller than mine. I’ll have to start doing some comparisons. I only noticed this on Saturday. But have thought about a little lift.

That is for their 4.0 which is a coil spring and spacer lift.

One thing I didn’t think to do was compare part numbers on springs. Wonder if the added height comes from a stiffer spring rate.

longarmwj

That was what my initial thought was. But again that’s as far as I made it.

Just checked the part numbers for the springs. They're the same for 2WD and Trailhawk. I assume that the added inch or so in ride height has to come from the knuckles then, because that is the only thing that is different between the two, at least that I can see.

black pearl

Hooked
Just checked the part numbers for the springs. They're the same for 2WD and Trailhawk. I assume that the added inch or so in ride height has to come from the knuckles then, because that is the only thing that is different between the two, at least that I can see.

That’s weird. I would have thought there would be a difference.

black pearl

Hooked
That would have been my guess as well. That leads me to think that the small lift is given by the knuckle. Maybe they made the lower strut mount higher on the trailhawk vs others?

I was just looking and all trim levels of the compass 4WD, 2017-2019 are the same knuckle. The 2WD is a different part number from what I can tell. It doesn’t make sense now why the sit a little taller.

Top Bottom