Tube bumper d ring mounts

Hillbilly

Well I been trying to figure out how to mount d rings on front and back of my 3 inch tube bumpers.I looked at the weld on type but figured out a better way.I used high test 3/8 heavy grade logging chain at 12 inch length.5/8 x5 inch length hex bolt with flat and lock washers with nut. Tighten down very snug and worked out great. With the right amount of torque they do not move or bounce up and down. Anyway I think they look great and function well.
Hope this helps anybody facing this issue. IMG_3224.JPG IMG_3226.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Uhhh. What bumpers are they and do you have any idea how thick the tubing is? Seems a bit unsafe. Looking at that bolt as well what grade is it?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

These welds don’t look like something I would put force on. If I were you I’d look into other options like a hitch d ring receiver.
IMG_3409.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

maskale

If you are tolling, ok

but really, that's not the way to do what you are tying to do. Those types of bumpers are very thin, no made for pulling no matter how you attach the mount.

longarmwj

Truthfully I don’t think that’s remotely a good idea. Like at all. Those tube bumpers have very very thin hollow tubing that they are made out of and I would not be surprised if those tore right through the first time you went to pull somebody or get pulled.

If I were you I would highly suggest looking into an actual bumper that has integrated D ring mounts. Offroad Evo and Poison Spyder have good options as well as a few other brands (LOD, Genright, etc).

Btw I noticed the dealer badge. I worked at troncalli for a few years ironically.

Abntroop

Let’s disregard the damage to your bumper those will cause WHEN they fail and address the safety concern when they turn into a kinetic piece of shit flying towards whatever poor sap who doesn’t have the common sense to look at those and say fuck that! Or some bystander. Jesus dude, you realize the forces involved on recovery gear and points?? Do yourself a favor and use a ball hitch with a kinetic strap for recovery while you’re at it.

Last edited:

jdofmemi

On top of what has already been said about how bad of an idea this is, "high test" is a misnomer. It is the lowest grade of chain above ornamental.

That chain is not even legal to tie down a load on a commercial truck, much less tow anything.

It is a toss up which will fail first, the crappy chain, or the too small hardware store boot that looks to be ungraded as well.

Thinking like this is what gets people hurt or killed when put into use. I would not hook on to anything bigger than a lawnmower with that set up for fear of it breaking and killing a bystander.

Zstairlessone

On top of what has already been said about how bad of an idea this is, "high test" is a misnomer. It is the lowest grade of chain above ornamental.

That chain is not even legal to tie down a load on a commercial truck, much less tow anything.

It is a toss up which will fail first, the crappy chain, or the too small hardware store boot that looks to be ungraded as well.

Thinking like this is what gets people hurt or killed when put into use. I would not hook on to anything bigger than a lawnmower with that set up for fear of it breaking and killing a bystander.

Exactly, grade 80, or grade 100 chain is expensive for a reason, and pulling on it from there, the term torque arm should come to mind. This setup will get someone hurt

Hillbilly

I jacked it up with a high lift on one side did not bend when I swapped tires plus pulled jeep with a pickup uphill on my drive to test d ring no stress or bending
my bumpers. So say what you want to guys it works.

longarmwj

I jacked it up with a high lift on one side did not bend when I swapped tires plus pulled jeep with a pickup uphill on my drive to test d ring no stress or bending
my bumpers. So say what you want to guys it works.

Jacking it up from the bumper does not show how strong a bumper is.

Slowly pulling a Jeep up a hill with a truck does not replicate an offroad recovery. The forces are not anywhere near that of having to actually pull somebody out of a hole or off a rock. It’s more of a yank then a tug.

I truly am concerned for anybody that every wheels with you because that is going to kill somebody and two idiotic tests do not prove that your “idea” works.

Hillbilly

Wow did not know that you boys know everything about anything forces and all I got stuck in a mud hole in my k10 6 inch lift-with 37 inch tires I got pulled out
with regular ole rope. I was buried up to top of diff covers sometimes the force is with you[emoji609]

WJCO

Meme King
Well I been trying to figure out how to mount d rings on front and back of my 3 inch tube bumpers.I looked at the weld on type but figured out a better way.I used high test 3/8 heavy grade logging chain at 12 inch length.5/8 x5 inch length hex bolt with flat and lock washers with nut. Tighten down very snug and worked out great. With the right amount of torque they do not move or bounce up and down. Anyway I think they look great and function well.
Hope this helps anybody facing this issue. View attachment 328672

download.jpg ......

longarmwj

Wow did not know that you boys know everything about anything forces and all I got stuck in a mud hole in my k10 6 inch lift-with 37 inch tires I got pulled out
with regular ole rope. I was buried up to top of diff covers sometimes the force is with you[emoji609]

1: rope is stronger then the chain you have your d rings attached with

2: guarantee what you pulled from was a properly mounted tow point and not a piece of insufficient chain wrapped around a hollow tube

3: you’re not very bright

Top Bottom