Bent frame...

So this Toyota Highlander ran a red light and I T boned her going 35 mph. Basically exploded her front end and broke her wheel off her axle and totaled her front body / suspension. My jeep appears basically fine. My Poison Spyder bumper is literally still in perfect condition (Insert jeep vs Toyota comment here:taunt:) Just kidding ;)

HOWEVER, it is clear that the front of the frame is bent to the side about one inch over about two feet of frame rail. Her insurance and the collision center are certain that with their 100,000 dollar machine, they can bend it back 1/16” at a time and laser calibrate it back to within an eighth of factory spec.
I’ve read a few discussions on different forums about this issue, but haven’t heard much about people’s experience with actually going through with this repair.

Does anyone have experience wheeling with a frame that was straightened after being slightly bent like this!?

Thanks in advance.

mattfl

IMO that Jeep will never drive the same again no matter how much they say they can straighten it back.

Zeus

Bent frame and I get rid of it, sorry man that suck but never heard anything positive after a bent frame was fixed.

Eloucha

So this Toyota Highlander ran a red light and I T boned her going 35 mph. Basically exploded her front end and broke her wheel off her axle and totaled her front body / suspension. My jeep appears basically fine. My Poison Spyder bumper is literally still in perfect condition (Insert jeep vs Toyota comment here:taunt:) Just kidding ;)

HOWEVER, it is clear that the front of the frame is bent to the side about one inch over about two feet of frame rail. Her insurance and the collision center are certain that with their 100,000 dollar machine, they can bend it back 1/16” at a time and laser calibrate it back to within an eighth of factory spec.
I’ve read a few discussions on different forums about this issue, but haven’t heard much about people’s experience with actually going through with this repair.

Does anyone have experience wheeling with a frame that was straightened after being slightly bent like this!?

Thanks in advance.

U can buy new frame.abt 1k. From mopar.tell them . If u want keep ur jeep. Or buy it back from them and u fix it. Tell them is red flag total and ur title be rebuild depend on ur state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

longarmwj

I agree with the above. Bent frame is always a pain and the vehicle will never drive like it did before. I would count your losses and part it out and throw all your parts on a new Jeep.

Ddays

Hooked
Mine was bent after a similar scenario and was completely replaced. I would insist on a new frame if I was you. If they don't I'd trade it in.

Ddays

Hooked
My Lincoln Navigator was t-boned and the frame was bent to shit. I had it straightened and you'd never know there was an issue.

I'm guessing it depends on who's doing the work.

Maybe, but then you don't take your Navigator out into rocks that twists the living shit out of your frame. Once frames are bent badly and then straightened, I wouldn't want to trust them to stay the same afterwards. :twocents:

longarmwj

Maybe, but then you don't take your Navigator out into rocks that twists the living shit out of your frame. Once frames are bent badly and then straightened, I wouldn't want to trust them to stay the same afterwards. :twocents:

On top of that, bending the frame, or any metal for that matter, stretches the metal and weakens it. Having to have it bent back into shape would further stretch and weaken it. I would be concerned that it would create a weak spot in the frame and I would not want that while wheeling.

USMC Wrangler

I worked in a collision shop as an apprentice more than a few moons ago. It was/is common practice to straighten frames if they are not bent outside of certain tolerances and in certain locations of the frame.

I was also t-boned in my ‘99 F150 which bent the frame. It was straightened and went another 50k miles before trading it in for my Jeep. No issues.

However, I did not wheel that truck and I would be concerned doing so after frame straightening, IMO. I would also suggest pushing for frame replacement while you have a direct connection to an incident covered by insurance. Good luck! [emoji1303]

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Not sure what the labor force is like in Australia, but that qualifier would make me want a new frame.

Agreed...

...and agreed, no matter the location.

Labor force is the same anywhere, you get what you pay for. I’m saying if it’s done by a qualified person with the right equipment there is no issue because if it’s bent enough that it won’t be right afterwards they won’t fix it.

I’ve had plenty of 4x4s including a Jeep straightened without issue.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Labor force is the same anywhere, you get what you pay for. I’m saying if it’s done by a qualified person with the right equipment there is no issue because if it’s bent enough that it won’t be right afterwards they won’t fix it.

I agree with you. I don’t see an issue with straightening it. If you can get a new frame, cool but just straighten it otherwise.

Doesn’t really seem like you have a choice here. Either way once it’s straightened you’d never notice. And I wouldn’t worry about it.

TrailHunter

Hooked
I agree with you. I don’t see an issue with straightening it. If you can get a new frame, cool but just straighten it otherwise.

Doesn’t really seem like you have a choice here. Either way once it’s straightened you’d never notice. And I wouldn’t worry about it.

Yup... I’d already be building some red neck Jigs in my backyard to try and straighten it myself... whats the worse that could happen, you lose that “Cadillac” feel the Jeep is known for?

Those straightening machines are impressive.. I wouldn’t walk away from my Jeep over a 1” bend.

Thanks for sharing that experience.

Appreciate all the feedback. I’m feeling good about the shop bending it back on Monday :rock:

medic2283

So the striking vehicles insurance company is gonna wanna pay the least amount of money, which idk what the cost is for the frame straightening runs, but if I was you, I would push their company to spring for a new frame and call it a day. Before I had my JK, had an XJ that was rear-ended, frame bent and body knocked 3 inches from frame. Striking vehicles insurance company paid for a new frame. No issues. Fast forward two months later, my XJ took a hit parked out front of my house. Frame bent. This time, insurance paid for the frame to be straightened and I took it. Road and Highway no issues. Of road, noticeable problems. Push for the frame man.

Top Bottom