Bottle Jack Recommendations

JJ151

On several forum posts I have encountered members mentioning the use of a bottle jack over a Hi-Lift type jack. Conceptually this makes sense, but I have a couple questions. What type and lift height bottle jack is recommended and is there ever a situation where a Hi-Lift type jack would work better than a bottle jack?

What are you using it for? Changing a tire on the trail? Hi lifts are great multipurpose tools but they’re rarely the right tool for the job. And they’re multiple uses are being replaced with better options, such as winching, I’m guessing not many people here even know how to use one to hand winch or carry chain to do so. Realistically the only thing on a trail I could imagine wanting one for is if for some reason you needed to lift the body up- not an axle. High centered on a boulder and it’s stuck somehow and can’t winch off of it. Also helpful if you need to pop a bead off a tire. Hydraulic bottle jacks are cheap and available everywhere get one with a good size foot print so it’s stable. I still carry my oe jack in my tj for swapping flat tire roadside, it’ll lift axle just enough to pull a 35 off.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

WJCO

Meme King
On several forum posts I have encountered members mentioning the use of a bottle jack over a Hi-Lift type jack. Conceptually this makes sense, but I have a couple questions. What type and lift height bottle jack is recommended and is there ever a situation where a Hi-Lift type jack would work better than a bottle jack?

Many of the 12 ton ones are a little taller than the 20 ton ones. But really, any difference in height can be made up for by carrying a couple chunks of 4x4 wood with you. The wood doesn't weigh much and isn't bulky.

Brute

Hooked
Many of the 12 ton ones are a little taller than the 20 ton ones. But really, any difference in height can be made up for by carrying a couple chunks of 4x4 wood with you. The wood doesn't weigh much and isn't bulky.

...and if your stuck real bad in the desert for a week, you can use the 4x4's to cook your friend...

TrailHunter

Hooked

A 12" square of 1 1/8" Plywood works great as a base as well... doesn't weigh much either.

Can't beat these 20 ton bottle jacks from Harbor Freight. $40. Just be sure to keep a couple good pieces of wood or other suitable platform to help stabilize the Jeep while you're using the jack. I actually have two. One of them I has a spring perch welded upside down on the lift pad so it cradles the axle and doesn't slip off. The other I left as is.

https://www.harborfreight.com/20-ton-hydraulic-bottle-jack-66482.html

Did you weld the perch to the jack... or is it removable? I need to make one of those.

Ddays

Hooked
Did you weld the perch to the jack... or is it removable? I need to make one of those.

It's non-removable. Then I worried that it wasn't removable "just in case", so I bought another one. Wonder why my damn Jeep weighs 6000#? :thinking:

Jack 1.jpg

Jack 2.jpg

TrailHunter

Hooked
It's non-removable. Then I worried that it wasn't removable "just in case", so I bought another one. Wonder why my damn Jeep weighs 6000#? :thinking:

Lol... what if you just carried a 4" stick of tube steel that fit inside the perch in case you need it flat...

Abntroop

Mexican American oysters for starters. And a trouser trout main dish.

source.gif

Typed on my iPhone with my jimmy dean sausage fingers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom