Pritchett Canyon Father’s Day run

In all my time wheeling trails both up here in northern Utah as well as in Moab, never before I have ran a trail where luck played such a part in getting through it, even if just a bit. And also, just how close to disaster you are on every obstacle.

We set out for a yearly Father’s Day Moab trip and this time, with my good friend Tyler and our friend and well experienced driver Jason and his well built XJ set out sights on Pritchett Canyon.

It was difficult to get many pictures and even harder to get good ones but I hope these show at least some of the fun.

Airing down
IMG_3329.jpg
Yeah, it’s tough. And everything is big
IMG_3095.jpg

Working our way into the canyon
We also had another JKU along with us that drove down last minute to play.
IMG_3096.jpg
Working our way up the first ledge. This would be the smallest obstacle we’d encounter all day
IMG_3101.jpg
IMG_3103.jpg
Tyler getting setup
IMG_3106.jpg
And he’s in it
IMG_3108.jpg

Next set of ledges to climb shortly after dropping down into a wash
IMG_3119.jpg
IMG_3124.jpg
Lining up to take on Chewy Hill
IMG_3129.jpg
It’s big, and steep and just nasty
IMG_3130.jpg
IMG_3132.jpg
IMG_3140.jpg
Bryce and his green Frankenjeep killin it
IMG_3137.jpg
Tyler also making it look easier than it is
IMG_3147.jpg
IMG_3159.jpg
As for me, I had it dialed the first half then got a little cocky and stayed in it a bit too long and nearly flopped
5189F6CA-B217-44DF-9DC5-E873F2DF2E6B.jpg
But a calm head and a good spotter kept me shiny side up. Had to pull cable but I safely made it up.
Tyler dropping down some steep and tippy ledges shortly before dropping down to rocker knocked
IMG_3169.jpg
IMG_3172.jpg
Gettin the old girl down was somewhat tedious for me being that my nerves will still somewhat fried from a near rollover on chewy
IMG_3306.jpg
To be continued...

Last edited:
And here we are... rocker Knocker. It’s big and steep and intimidating in the sense that the approach is on a fairly steep hill.
Here’s Jason and his very well built XJ showing us how it’s done
IMG_3174.jpg
IMG_3179.jpg
IMG_3182.jpg
Bryce gave it hell in his green JK but ultimately took the bypass which isn’t much of a bypass and it gave him nearly as much trouble.
Tyler giving it a try
IMG_3188.jpg
IMG_3193.jpg
Getting her set up to make the tippy climb
F11DF4ED-D8EB-42A7-B334-66405DD597FF.jpg
Safely on top of Rocker Knocker we took a short lunch break before moving on to Axle Hill
Ah, redemption
IMG_3305.jpg
Tyler getting his JK right up as well it’s steep!
IMG_3197.jpg
IMG_3201.jpg
209FE642-3979-4EA8-A36A-59032B05EA8A.jpg
And after a quick climb up yellow hill we were up and out of the canyon
IMG_3208.jpg
3829A347-949A-4860-9AE9-4C7F99A32C37.jpg
What a trail. 4.5 miles of relentlessness. With the exception of Jason losing a rear u-joint on the broken staircase we all made it up with no issues and, I can’t wait to try my luck again and hopefully make the run clean without pulling line. Good times and good friends.

Some more random shots of our trip
IMG_3307.jpg
IMG_3294.jpg
IMG_3289.jpg
IMG_3206.jpg
IMG_3164.jpg

Hope you guys like the pictures and, if you get the chance to run Pritchett I highly recommend it.

Last edited:
Amazing shots of your adventure. Looks like a tough trail

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 Jeep Scrambler

It was incredibly tough. I have no doubts there are harder trails all round the world but this is by far the hardest I’ve personally ran in Utah and it was all I could handle and more. Tons of fun though.

Ddays

Hooked
:daydream: Almost made it there....

Awesome pics - looks like a blast. I'll make it again one of these days

SLO

Thanks for sharing. How long did it take? We are headed to Moab next week and only have a few days. Taking my JKUR and my wife’s JLUR. She won’t do it but I’d like to peel off one morning with my older boys and do it as long as it isn’t a long trek.

Thanks for sharing. How long did it take? We are headed to Moab next week and only have a few days. Taking my JKUR and my wife’s JLUR. She won’t do it but I’d like to peel off one morning with my older boys and do it as long as it isn’t a long trek.

With 4 capable rigs and a lunch break from start to finish was about 6 hours. (Not including swapping a U-joint on the XJ at the end) and then it was a long 2 hour slog on the dirt road that leads back to the highway. I’m total we were out there about 8 hours pavement to pavement. It’s only a 4.5 mike trail but it’s a hard 4.5 and the dirt road out is 16 miles with lots of crawling

longarmwj

WOW that looks like a fun trail!! I've said it before and I'll keep saying it until it happens, I will ride out west one day.

Stotch

Caught the Bug
Nice pictures! One of these days I'll get back out there. Pritchett Canyon always looks like a handful!

trplxj

Great pictures man. Looks like you guys had a good time. I’d like to do Pritchett one day, but I’m not sure I want to do it in my WJ. I probably would if I could go with some people that have done it several times before. And aren’t a bunch of idiots.

I’m headed to Moab in September for 10 days. It’ll be the first trip for me since 2005 and the first time in my WJ. Pritchett is not on the list though.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Brute

Hooked
As you know Casey, Pritchett is still on my list...I'm going to run it next year. I haven't decided yet whether to bring Brute or the JK6 to Moab next year...

Great pictures man. Looks like you guys had a good time. I’d like to do Pritchett one day, but I’m not sure I want to do it in my WJ. I probably would if I could go with some people that have done it several times before. And aren’t a bunch of idiots.

I’m headed to Moab in September for 10 days. It’ll be the first trip for me since 2005 and the first time in my WJ. Pritchett is not on the list though.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Lockers and a winch are a must you’ll use both and yeah, I highly recommend going with a group that knows the trail well. Also, bring spare parts... [emoji48]

As you know Casey, Pritchett is still on my list...I'm going to run it next year. I haven't decided yet whether to bring Brute or the JK6 to Moab next year...

Man that’s a tough call Ed. Both would be a blast. I’d have an impossible time choosing

Top Bottom