Caster Settings - JKUR

TrailHunter

Hooked
So I have checked my Caster with both a digital level and an analog Angle finder.... both are reading about 4.8 - 5*. (I think it's 5*) I measured off the top of the ball joints but that seems harder because any rotation of the angle finder can change the number a little..... I also did it off the large machined holes on the front of the Axle which I trust a little more.

The Jeep seems to track great... no major flighty feeling (just basic 35" mud terrain movement) and the front LCA are set at 22 7/8" exactly per EVO's 3" enforcer instructions... and no vibrations on the 1350 drive shaft. Should I leave it at the 5* or try and drop it to the recommended 4.2*.

I have a local alignment shop that I trust with all my vehicles... they do excellent work... maybe I should take it to them to get a better reading? Or am I just over thinking it?

Last edited:

A.J.

Higher caster will track better as long as the pinion angle doesn't get to great. If you're not getting any driveline vibration leave it where it is.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

I’d say go for it man. Try adjusting the uppers to get to that 4.2. I have a JKUR with 3.5 inches of lift and after setting my uppers and lowers to the recommended length, the castor was a couple degrees off in the front. The rear pinion was not quite pointing straight at the t case either (I have double cardan front and rear shafts). Anyway, I didn’t have any major problems driving on the highway, but I readjusted the control arms anyway and it rides a little smoother now. Opinion: I feel like every jeep is a little different, try it and if it feels worse, change it back.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

TrailHunter

Hooked
Higher caster will track better as long as the pinion angle doesn't get to great. If you're not getting any driveline vibration leave it where it is.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

That's what I'm thinking.

I have mine at 8. Rides great. I do have Tom Woods driveshaft, no vibrations

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

:shock:

I’d say go for it man. Try adjusting the uppers to get to that 4.2. I have a JKUR with 3.5 inches of lift and after setting my uppers and lowers to the recommended length, the castor was a couple degrees off in the front. The rear pinion was not quite pointing straight at the t case either (I have double cardan front and rear shafts). Anyway, I didn’t have any major problems driving on the highway, but I readjusted the control arms anyway and it rides a little smoother now. Opinion: I feel like every jeep is a little different, try it and if it feels worse, change it back.

Also pure opinion: I definitely would not pay a shop to look at that.

I only have adjustable lowers.... which is fine to change a little.... but I'm almost curious at this point what the readings would be from a shop.

SLO

Don’t do 4.2*. If you want to mess with it, shoot for 6*, 7* at the most. However, if it’s driving ok, I wouldn’t mess with it. 4.2* on a lifted Jeep is not going to drive well.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So I have checked my Caster with both a digital level and an analog Angle finder.... both are reading about 4.8 - 5*. (I think it's 5*) I measured off the top of the ball joints but that seems harder because any rotation of the angle finder can change the number a little..... I also did it off the large machined holes on the front of the Axle which I trust a little more.

The Jeep seems to track great... no major flighty feeling (just basic 35" mud terrain movement) and the front LCA are set at 22 7/8" exactly per EVO's 3" enforcer instructions... and no vibrations on the 1350 drive shaft. Should I leave it at the 5* or try and drop it to the recommended 4.2*.

I have a local alignment shop that I trust with all my vehicles... they do excellent work... maybe I should take it to them to get a better reading? Or am I just over thinking it?

Unless you've got problems you're trying to address, I think you're over-thinking things.

bigmase33

Agreed. I tend to do that sometimes. [emoji51]

When it comes to my jeep that i love so much i do the same thing. Can't hurt to try and make adjustments to see if it gets better or worse. Change it back if you need to. Also factor in if it is worth your time to make further adjustments if you are satisfied with how the jeep is driving now.

jesse3638

Hooked
Don’t do 4.2*. If you want to mess with it, shoot for 6*, 7* at the most. However, if it’s driving ok, I wouldn’t mess with it. 4.2* on a lifted Jeep is not going to drive well.
While 6-7 would potentially help it drive and track better it's going to put your drive shaft at a weird angle and probably cause a bunch of bad vibrations (not to be confused with the beach boys good vibrations). Your pinion will be flat, 0 deg, or pointing down, -1 deg. When I installed my lift I was told to shoot for 4.2-5. I got 4.8 (checking off the pinion flange) and have driven it for 7 years and 40k miles. No issues so far and no bad vibrations.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

SLO

While 6-7 would potentially help it drive and track better it's going to put your drive shaft at a weird angle and probably cause a bunch of bad vibrations (not to be confused with the beach boys good vibrations). Your pinion will be flat, 0 deg, or pointing down, -1 deg. When I installed my lift I was told to shoot for 4.2-5. I got 4.8 (checking off the pinion flange) and have driven it for 7 years and 40k miles. No issues so far and no bad vibrations.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

So, it depends on lift height but I’m at 6.5° and my pinion angle is definitely not flat.

Top Bottom