How to protect Ranch 9000XL Adjuster Knobs?

sm31

I think I've seen some discussion on this but I can't recall where... I've had mine installed for about 3 months and 1 of the rear knobs is already damaged. Was thinking of flipping the rear shock bodies so the knobs face forward but I'm not sure whether that is advisable (or possible?).

Before I try it, has anyone else done this? Is it effective? Looks like making adjustments will be more difficult but I only adjusted them a few times until I found what I liked. Is there anything else I can do to protect them (other than not hitting rocks... lol)? Thanks!

Edit... and autocorrect fubar'd my thread title... :rolleyes2:

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
Yea I think the only thing you can do it turn the body 180. I wasnt able to adjust it but at least it's protected haha.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

CrazyTrainJK

Caught the Bug
I have mine turned around with the knobs facing inward and like it. No damage but a pain in the ass to adjust if needed.

TrailHunter

Hooked
Turned mine around... installed all 4 shocks with the factory setting... I’m not even sure which direction to turn them or if I will. Lol

USMC Wrangler

I’ve been only a few trails since installing mine and no damage so far. I do have Rockstars installed so I don’t know if that helps, at least in the back.

I use this as my guide to adjusting. Turn all the way counter clockwise for light loads or softer ride, vice versa for a heavy load. PS - My knobs don’t have numbers on them like shown in the video.

https://youtu.be/MFykRllwwqI

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure adjusting does anything to them really. At least I never felt a difference. Just flip them and be done with it.

I can feel the difference but really, only at 0 or 5 or 9. Everything else in between is too subtle to tell. That being said, I pretty much just set mine to what I like and never really touch them again. :crazyeyes:

WJCO

Meme King
Just found this video also for anyone who needs to have the Rancho shock knob replaced:

Abntroop

I can feel the difference but really, only at 0 or 5 or 9. Everything else in between is too subtle to tell. That being said, I pretty much just set mine to what I like and never really touch them again. :crazyeyes:

Given how many folks have expressed the same doesn’t that defeat the purpose and price tag for them? Or are they that good of a shock to just be worth it anyway?

Typed on my iPhone with my Jimmy Dean sausage fingers

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
Given how many folks have expressed the same doesn’t that defeat the purpose and price tag for them? Or are they that good of a shock to just be worth it anyway?

I can feel a difference vs the 5000x version. I like the fact that if you don't like the feel you can adjust it a little to your driving style but after you fine tune it you really won't mess with it again. It really just depends if you want a shock that you can adjust slightly to give it a firmer or softer feel or somewhere in between.

Abntroop

I can feel a difference vs the 5000x version. I like the fact that if you don't like the feel you can adjust it a little to your driving style but after you fine tune it you really won't mess with it again. It really just depends if you want a shock that you can adjust slightly to give it a firmer or softer feel or somewhere in between.

[emoji1303]

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Ride quality is 100% subjective. I ran my RS9000X on my JL at 6 up front and 4 in the rear. A RS5000X would feel about a 5 on a RS9000X and so, you could say that I ran my fronts a bit firmer and rear softer but, essentially what a 5000 would feel like right out of the box.

Now, on my CJ-5 with stiff leaf springs, I run them at 2 up front and 0 on the rear.

Abntroop

Ride quality is 100% subjective. I ran my RS9000X on my JL at 6 up front and 4 in the rear. A RS5000X would feel about a 5 on a RS9000X and so, you could say that I ran my fronts a bit firmer and rear softer but, essentially what a 5000 would feel like right out of the box.

Now, on my CJ-5 with stiff leaf springs, I run them at 2 up front and 0 on the rear.

And that’s really going to vary depending on load, bumper choices, etc I’d imagine correct? Even from a subjective “this is what my butt tells me feels right” outlook.

BaddestCross

And that’s really going to vary depending on load, bumper choices, etc I’d imagine correct? Even from a subjective “this is what my butt tells me feels right” outlook.

This right here for sure. I messed with mine quite a bit until I found where I like it on road. I think I'm running 4 or 5 in the front and 7 in the rear. Offroad I drop the front to 1 or 2... 0 if it's lot of slow crawling. Probably 5 in the rear.

I did rotate the rear to protect the knobs. It's a little tough to adjust with the Rockstars, but not impossible.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Abntroop

This right here for sure. I messed with mine quite a bit until I found where I like it on road. I think I'm running 4 or 5 in the front and 7 in the rear. Offroad I drop the front to 1 or 2... 0 if it's lot of slow crawling. Probably 5 in the rear.

I did rotate the rear to protect the knobs. It's a little tough to adjust with the Rockstars, but not impossible.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Ok, so be prepared to fuss with it a bit for personal preference. Good to know [emoji1303] thank you!

sm31

Not sure adjusting does anything to them really. At least I never felt a difference. Just flip them and be done with it.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Feel a bit that way myself... Set them on 3 (I think). The Clayton Overlander seems to have fairly stiff rear springs, so with this setup I'm not even running a rear sway bar and it feels fine.

Does the 9000xl adjuster affect rebound, compression, or both? The Konis I'm used to from my autox days were rebound only...

I'll go ahead and rotate the rears & leave'em be. Thanks!

Top Bottom