Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear end clunk

Rear end clunk

Iím stumped, and Wayalife always seems to remind me to check things I forget to check.

When I accelerate, there is a brief clunk that sounds like it is coming from the passenger side rear end. My control arm bolts all are tight and there seems to be no play in anything. I put the rear end on jack stands and let it spin in drive (with drew in the front ready on the brake) and nothing seemed off and nothing was wobbling.

So Iím stumped. Could it be a bearing?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Captain Imachurity
    2003 WJ Build Thread
    2017 Gobi JKU Build Thread
    2016 Renegade Sport Build Thread
    2019 Compass Sport Build Thread

Drive shaft u-joint?

Considering who started this thread I was a little reluctant to click on it

Iíve had two, four wheel disc break vehicles give off a strange clunk from the rear. It took me awhile to find it the first time but it was a disintegrating e-break shoe inside the rotor. It was the first thing I checked on the 2nd vehicle and same thing.

Other than that...sway bar links, shocks, brake caliper, caliper mount or driveshaft all check out ok?
    2013 JKU Sport "Spider" with some EVO goodies and a chop here and there

DIY trail/tube door build http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?24449-My-DIY-Doors

Overall "build thread" http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?2...ker-quot-build

Missing brake pad retainer clips, loose control arms, loose e-brake pads... Had all of those cause weird noises when accelerating from a stop.

--
    Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407
    Build Thread: The Adventures of Fiona
    '08 JKR Rescue Green 2-Door

Probably a loose rear end.

Quote Originally Posted by sipafz View Post
    Drive shaft u-joint?
    Havenít checked that far. Started drinking out of frustration lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Ddays View Post
    Considering who started this thread I was a little reluctant to click on it

Quote Originally Posted by USMC Wrangler View Post
    Iíve had two, four wheel disc break vehicles give off a strange clunk from the rear. It took me awhile to find it the first time but it was a disintegrating e-break shoe inside the rotor. It was the first thing I checked on the 2nd vehicle and same thing.

Other than that...sway bar links, shocks, brake caliper, caliper mount or driveshaft all check out ok?
    Swaybar links are good, didnít think to check shocks, caliper and mount Iím pretty sure are good but Iíll check those too.
    Quote Originally Posted by BaddestCross View Post
    Missing brake pad retainer clips, loose control arms, loose e-brake pads... Had all of those cause weird noises when accelerating from a stop.

--
    Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407
    Doubtful itís the retainer clips because I put those in myself. Control arms seem tight. Havenít thought about the e-brake
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailHunter View Post
    Probably a loose rear end.
    Giver, not taker 🤫

Captain Imachurity
    2003 WJ Build Thread

I put the retainer clips in myself too. With grease. They always fall out after a few thousand miles.

--
    Build Thread: The Adventures of Fiona
    '08 JKR Rescue Green 2-Door

Knows a Thing or Two tastethebeast's Avatar
    Two things that caused a clunk in the rear of my JK. The first was the lower shock bolt was loose on the passenger side. The second, not sure what it is actually called, is the black latch guide thing on the driver side of the Jeep that helps secure the tailgate. There are two screws that you can use to adjust it up and down. After a lot of off road trips mine shifted 1/4 of an inch which was enough to cause the noise. I moved it up slightly and test drove. After a couple adjustments the noise is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by longarmwj View Post
    Iím stumped, and Wayalife always seems to remind me to check things I forget to check.

When I accelerate, there is a brief clunk that sounds like it is coming from the passenger side rear end. My control arm bolts all are tight and there seems to be no play in anything. I put the rear end on jack stands and let it spin in drive (with drew in the front ready on the brake) and nothing seemed off and nothing was wobbling.

So Iím stumped. Could it be a bearing?

Quote Originally Posted by tastethebeast View Post
    Two things that caused a clunk in the rear of my JK. The first was the lower shock bolt was loose on the passenger side. The second, not sure what it is actually called, is the black latch guide thing on the driver side of the Jeep that helps secure the tailgate. There are two screws that you can use to adjust it up and down. After a lot of off road trips mine shifted 1/4 of an inch which was enough to cause the noise. I moved it up slightly and test drove. After a couple adjustments the noise is gone.
    Never even though about checking the hatch. Providing the rain holds off, I will be checking several things tonight.
    Captain Imachurity
    2003 WJ Build Thread

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast