Rear end clunk

longarmwj

I’m stumped, and Wayalife always seems to remind me to check things I forget to check.

When I accelerate, there is a brief clunk that sounds like it is coming from the passenger side rear end. My control arm bolts all are tight and there seems to be no play in anything. I put the rear end on jack stands and let it spin in drive (with drew in the front ready on the brake) and nothing seemed off and nothing was wobbling.

So I’m stumped. Could it be a bearing?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

USMC Wrangler

I’ve had two, four wheel disc break vehicles give off a strange clunk from the rear. It took me awhile to find it the first time but it was a disintegrating e-break shoe inside the rotor. It was the first thing I checked on the 2nd vehicle and same thing.

Other than that...sway bar links, shocks, brake caliper, caliper mount or driveshaft all check out ok?

longarmwj

Drive shaft u-joint?
Haven’t checked that far. Started drinking out of frustration lol
Considering who started this thread I was a little reluctant to click on it :crazyeyes:
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
I’ve had two, four wheel disc break vehicles give off a strange clunk from the rear. It took me awhile to find it the first time but it was a disintegrating e-break shoe inside the rotor. It was the first thing I checked on the 2nd vehicle and same thing.

Other than that...sway bar links, shocks, brake caliper, caliper mount or driveshaft all check out ok?
Swaybar links are good, didn’t think to check shocks, caliper and mount I’m pretty sure are good but I’ll check those too.
Missing brake pad retainer clips, loose control arms, loose e-brake pads... Had all of those cause weird noises when accelerating from a stop.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407
Doubtful it’s the retainer clips because I put those in myself. Control arms seem tight. Haven’t thought about the e-brake
Probably a loose rear end.
Giver, not taker 🤫

Two things that caused a clunk in the rear of my JK. The first was the lower shock bolt was loose on the passenger side. The second, not sure what it is actually called, is the black latch guide thing on the driver side of the Jeep that helps secure the tailgate. There are two screws that you can use to adjust it up and down. After a lot of off road trips mine shifted 1/4 of an inch which was enough to cause the noise. I moved it up slightly and test drove. After a couple adjustments the noise is gone.

I’m stumped, and Wayalife always seems to remind me to check things I forget to check.

When I accelerate, there is a brief clunk that sounds like it is coming from the passenger side rear end. My control arm bolts all are tight and there seems to be no play in anything. I put the rear end on jack stands and let it spin in drive (with drew in the front ready on the brake) and nothing seemed off and nothing was wobbling.

So I’m stumped. Could it be a bearing?

longarmwj

Two things that caused a clunk in the rear of my JK. The first was the lower shock bolt was loose on the passenger side. The second, not sure what it is actually called, is the black latch guide thing on the driver side of the Jeep that helps secure the tailgate. There are two screws that you can use to adjust it up and down. After a lot of off road trips mine shifted 1/4 of an inch which was enough to cause the noise. I moved it up slightly and test drove. After a couple adjustments the noise is gone.

Never even though about checking the hatch. Providing the rain holds off, I will be checking several things tonight.

USMC Wrangler

Maybe you’ve done this already, but thought I had a clunk once. Couldn’t find it for a couple weeks until I prepped for an outing. I left one shackle in my storage cubby. It sounded like the back half was going to come off but couldn’t feel anything over bumps. I wanted to slap myself when I found that. Just another random thought...

Twelve1665

Rear End Clunk

I had a similar noise. Drove me crazy. Found out the problem when I changed my rear track bar. The track bar was a little loose, not enough to notice while on a lift. It just moved under load. Worth checking.

longarmwj

I had a similar noise. Drove me crazy. Found out the problem when I changed my rear track bar. The track bar was a little loose, not enough to notice while on a lift. It just moved under load. Worth checking.

Ya know what, I haven't even though about checking the track bar ends. This is why I ask Wayalife, they remind me to do shit I should have thought to do in the first place :cheesy:

pararescue82

I had the exact same experience you described, I chased it for 2 weeks. It ended up being the rear track bar bolt where it mounts to the Jeep, not the axle. I tightened it and has not happened again.

longarmwj

Hurry up and figure it out, the suspense is killing me...haha.
If I can get a break from the rain!! Lol
I vote u-joint

I vote against that [emoji23]
Probably a trunk monkey. Let the fucker out! [emoji23]

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407
It is getting expensive with all the bananas it eats

Top Bottom