Ignition cutoff ideas.

A.J.

Thinking I would like to hide an ignition cutoff switch somewhere as a theft deterrent. Anyone done this? It’s too easy to steal a Jeep especially running around with tube doors etc. Nothing crazy elaborate just a hidden toggle switch somewhere to make it a little harder on a potential thief.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jk’s have immobilizer keys. Most are stolen on a trailer not by defeating the security system. If it’s an issue where you live I’d suggest a live tracking system. Older jeeps you could hammer a flat screwdriver in and use it as a key. But If you’re set on installing a starter lockout. Open up the taped harness coming from ignition and slice the starter trigger wire and put a switch there. On/off.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

A.J.

Jk’s have immobilizer keys. Most are stolen on a trailer not by defeating the security system. If it’s an issue where you live I’d suggest a live tracking system. Older jeeps you could hammer a flat screwdriver in and use it as a key. But If you’re set on installing a starter lockout. Open up the taped harness coming from ignition and slice the starter trigger wire and put a switch there. On/off.

There has been a lot of Jeeps stolen around here lately. Not sure how they are getting around the immobilizer but they have it figured out. Shouldn’t be too hard to do. Might be worthwhile weekend project.

There has been a lot of Jeeps stolen around here lately. Not sure how they are getting around the immobilizer but they have it figured out. Shouldn’t be too hard to do. Might be worthwhile weekend project.

Just remember this can easily be bypassed by jumping the wires at the starter. There was a post awhile back about a immobilizer made by ravelco you may want to look into if you want an extra step in starting.

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
I had a Ravelco anti theft system installed. It is a small round “key” that plugs into a port. Without it the fuel pump is disabled. 23 years and they have not had a single vehicle stolen by starting the vehicle.

PokerStogey

There was a time that “chip” keys meant a vehicle was virtually unstealable... this is no longer the case. A cut-off switch is a great idea.

ChevyCJ7

I just got the Ravelco installed on my 2017 JKU, it kills both the starter & fuel pump. You have to retrain yourself to remember to remove the Ravelco key everytime you leave the Jeep. I hung a long keychain from mine to help remind me.
FYI: Ravelco offers a 10% AAA Auto Club discount.

20190606_115141.jpg

Last edited:

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
Does anyone with a wiring schematic have the wire color and location of the fuel pump wire?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

I wish I did. I’m hoping someone else jumps in with one. I just got tube doors and would love to put a kill switch in.
I believe that the ABS and fuel pump are on the same fuse on the 3.8 JK, but I could be completely wrong.

Last edited:

Slimebones

I mean definitely an idea if you’re leaving it for an extended time (days). But just at the movies, hotel, etc I don’t want to pop my hood and get into the fuse box every time I drive it lol

Exactly. Was hoping someone who has done this would chime in and advise of an easy access to the correct wires somewhere under the dash. Placement of the switch could get creative to be sure.

Top Bottom