Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ignition cutoff ideas.

Ignition cutoff ideas.

Thinking I would like to hide an ignition cutoff switch somewhere as a theft deterrent. Anyone done this? It’s too easy to steal a Jeep especially running around with tube doors etc. Nothing crazy elaborate just a hidden toggle switch somewhere to make it a little harder on a potential thief.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Nothing but a Thing Snboarder113's Avatar
    Jk’s have immobilizer keys. Most are stolen on a trailer not by defeating the security system. If it’s an issue where you live I’d suggest a live tracking system. Older jeeps you could hammer a flat screwdriver in and use it as a key. But If you’re set on installing a starter lockout. Open up the taped harness coming from ignition and slice the starter trigger wire and put a switch there. On/off.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Quote Originally Posted by Snboarder113 View Post
    Jk’s have immobilizer keys. Most are stolen on a trailer not by defeating the security system. If it’s an issue where you live I’d suggest a live tracking system. Older jeeps you could hammer a flat screwdriver in and use it as a key. But If you’re set on installing a starter lockout. Open up the taped harness coming from ignition and slice the starter trigger wire and put a switch there. On/off.

There has been a lot of Jeeps stolen around here lately. Not sure how they are getting around the immobilizer but they have it figured out. Shouldn’t be too hard to do. Might be worthwhile weekend project.

Nothing but a Thing Snboarder113's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    There has been a lot of Jeeps stolen around here lately. Not sure how they are getting around the immobilizer but they have it figured out. Shouldn’t be too hard to do. Might be worthwhile weekend project.

Just remember this can easily be bypassed by jumping the wires at the starter. There was a post awhile back about a immobilizer made by ravelco you may want to look into if you want an extra step in starting.

I had a Ravelco anti theft system installed. It is a small round “key” that plugs into a port. Without it the fuel pump is disabled. 23 years and they have not had a single vehicle stolen by starting the vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Jkzinger View Post
    I had a Ravelco anti theft system installed. It is a small round “key” that plugs into a port. Without it the fuel pump is disabled. 23 years and they have not had a single vehicle stolen by starting the vehicle.

I'll check it out. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Been Around the Block PokerStogey's Avatar

Ignition cutoff ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post

There was a time that “chip” keys meant a vehicle was virtually unstealable... this is no longer the case. A cut-off switch is a great idea.

Knows a Thing or Two RockinAZJK's Avatar
    I would think it would be easy enough to put a switch in your fuel pump lead and run it under the dash.

I just got the Ravelco installed on my 2017 JKU, it kills both the starter & fuel pump. You have to retrain yourself to remember to remove the Ravelco key everytime you leave the Jeep. I hung a long keychain from mine to help remind me.
    FYI: Ravelco offers a 10% AAA Auto Club discount.

20190606_115141.jpg
    Last edited by ChevyCJ7; 06-23-2019 at 02:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jkzinger View Post

^^^ This.. I have it as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast