Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Ignition cutoff ideas.

  1. #1
    Knows a Thing or Two A.J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Grants Pass Or.
    Posts
    836

    Ignition cutoff ideas.

    Thinking I would like to hide an ignition cutoff switch somewhere as a theft deterrent. Anyone done this? It’s too easy to steal a Jeep especially running around with tube doors etc. Nothing crazy elaborate just a hidden toggle switch somewhere to make it a little harder on a potential thief.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

  2. #2
    Nothing but a Thing Snboarder113's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    1,210
    Jk’s have immobilizer keys. Most are stolen on a trailer not by defeating the security system. If it’s an issue where you live I’d suggest a live tracking system. Older jeeps you could hammer a flat screwdriver in and use it as a key. But If you’re set on installing a starter lockout. Open up the taped harness coming from ignition and slice the starter trigger wire and put a switch there. On/off.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

  3. #3
    Knows a Thing or Two A.J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Grants Pass Or.
    Posts
    836
    Quote Originally Posted by Snboarder113 View Post
    Jk’s have immobilizer keys. Most are stolen on a trailer not by defeating the security system. If it’s an issue where you live I’d suggest a live tracking system. Older jeeps you could hammer a flat screwdriver in and use it as a key. But If you’re set on installing a starter lockout. Open up the taped harness coming from ignition and slice the starter trigger wire and put a switch there. On/off.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE
    There has been a lot of Jeeps stolen around here lately. Not sure how they are getting around the immobilizer but they have it figured out. Shouldn’t be too hard to do. Might be worthwhile weekend project.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

  4. #4
    Nothing but a Thing Snboarder113's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    1,210
    Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    There has been a lot of Jeeps stolen around here lately. Not sure how they are getting around the immobilizer but they have it figured out. Shouldn’t be too hard to do. Might be worthwhile weekend project.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Just remember this can easily be bypassed by jumping the wires at the starter. There was a post awhile back about a immobilizer made by ravelco you may want to look into if you want an extra step in starting.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

  5. #5
    Knows a Thing or Two Jkzinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Sahuarita, Arizona
    Posts
    904
    I had a Ravelco anti theft system installed. It is a small round “key” that plugs into a port. Without it the fuel pump is disabled. 23 years and they have not had a single vehicle stolen by starting the vehicle.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

  6. #6
    Knows a Thing or Two A.J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Grants Pass Or.
    Posts
    836
    Quote Originally Posted by Jkzinger View Post
    I had a Ravelco anti theft system installed. It is a small round “key” that plugs into a port. Without it the fuel pump is disabled. 23 years and they have not had a single vehicle stolen by starting the vehicle.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    I'll check it out. Thanks!


    Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

  7. #7
    Been Around the Block PokerStogey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Bakersfield
    Posts
    333

    Ignition cutoff ideas.

    Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    There has been a lot of Jeeps stolen around here lately. Not sure how they are getting around the immobilizer but they have it figured out. Shouldn’t be too hard to do. Might be worthwhile weekend project.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    There was a time that “chip” keys meant a vehicle was virtually unstealable... this is no longer the case. A cut-off switch is a great idea.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

  8. #8
    Knows a Thing or Two RockinAZJK's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Posts
    870
    I would think it would be easy enough to put a switch in your fuel pump lead and run it under the dash.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

  9. #9
    Fresh Catch ChevyCJ7's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Canyon Country CA.
    Posts
    3
    I just got the Ravelco installed on my 2017 JKU, it kills both the starter & fuel pump. You have to retrain yourself to remember to remove the Ravelco key everytime you leave the Jeep. I hung a long keychain from mine to help remind me.
    FYI: Ravelco offers a 10% AAA Auto Club discount.

    20190606_115141.jpg
    Last edited by ChevyCJ7; 06-23-2019 at 02:50 PM.

  10. #10
    Old Timer TrailHunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    3,956
    Quote Originally Posted by Jkzinger View Post
    I had a Ravelco anti theft system installed. It is a small round “key” that plugs into a port. Without it the fuel pump is disabled. 23 years and they have not had a single vehicle stolen by starting the vehicle.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    ^^^ This.. I have it as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Help with fuel cutoff switch or other means of theft disabler
    By The Cock Father in forum Jeep JK Wrangler
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-24-2017, 02:54 PM
  2. Sticky ignition
    By rogerk93 in forum Jeep JK Wrangler
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-29-2016, 02:35 PM
  3. Ignition Key?
    By DMF in forum Jeep JK Wrangler
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-19-2014, 04:38 PM
  4. Defense Mine Cummings Cutoff Trail Run
    By wayoflife in forum Trails & Upcoming Trips
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 04-25-2013, 10:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
“wayoflife” is a moniker that I’ve been using for 20 years now and I chose it because I think it does a great job of explaining, in simple terms, the passion I have for Jeeps and the Jeep way of life. This is a lifestyle that transcends age, gender and race as the only thing you need to be a part of it is a love for the outdoors, a desire to explore, a yearning to take on a challenge and a will to conquer it. Over the years, Cindy and I have attempted to capture the essence of this lifestyle through photographs and videos and share it with others around the world. And, this is how WAYALIFE was born.
Join us
WATCH OUR VIDEOS