General question

Cstone4985

So being new to the Jeep world I was just wondering how long it took for the average guy to build the Jeep they wanted. I bout mine (2017 Jeep jku Smokey mountain edition) because even used rubicons were I live are still high 37k-43k for something that isn’t rode into the ground. Bought mine with 16k on it for 26k. I know doesn’t come with lockers or the d44 front axel but it does have 3.73 gearing. I’m currently saving for a metal cloak 3.5” lift and tires. Planning on running 31517r17. As the wheels I bought the spare (brand new) already has that size. After that I have no idea where to go next. Lol. Anyways. How long did it take you guys to build your Jeep to the way you like it or are you still working on it?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

duktrx

Year 5 and still building. I don't think I will ever be done, I keep researching and finding more upgrades to do. A word of advise, do more research on lifts before you decide on Metal cloke, better options are out there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Cstone4985

Year 5 and still building. I don't think I will ever be done, I keep researching and finding more upgrades to do. A word of advise, do more research on lifts before you decide on Metal cloke, better options are out there.

What makes you say that. From the research I’ve done they are one of the tops along with rockcrawler. If you recommend a different brand I’d be happy to research it.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Welcome to Wayalife. Building never ends for the average guy. There is always something to be upgraded, replaced or maintained. The build process is different for everyone and is dependent on what the user goals are.

Since you’ve asked this type of question, I’ll assume that your Jeep will be a daily driver with maybe some light trails on the weekend. You’re set on 35” tires so I would continue researching lifts and try and keep it 3” or less. Going past 3” gets expensive and puts a lot of strain on the drivetrain. If you’re adamant about the high lift, then maybe the goal should be 37” tires to make all the other expenses worth while?

After you get your 35” tires on the first thing you will notice is lack of power. Being in Oregon, the terrain will accelerate your disdain for the 3.73 gears you have and be wishing for 4.56. While upgrading the gears you should consider adding a locker to the rear, but don’t bother with the front unless you upgrade the axel.

I hope that helps and congratulations on the new Jeep!

Last edited:

Cstone4985

Welcome to Wayalife. Building never ends for the average guy. There is always something to be upgraded, replaced or maintained. The build process is different for everyone and is dependent on what the user goals are.

Since you’ve asked this type of question, I’ll assume that your Jeep will be a daily driver with maybe some light trails on the weekend. You’re set on 35” tires so I would continue researching lifts and try and keep it 3” or less. Going past 3” gets expensive and puts a lot of strain on the drivetrain. If you’re adamant about the high lift, then maybe the goal should be 37” tires to make all the other experience worth while?

After you get your 35” tires on the first thing you will notice is lack of power. Being in Oregon, the terrain will accelerate your disdain for the 3.73 gears you have and be wishing for 4.56. While upgrading the gears you should consider adding a locker to the rear, but don’t bother with the front unless you upgrade the axel.

I hope that helps and congratulations on the new Jeep!

Thanks for the reply. Yeah mainly a daily driver for the next 5 years then maybe keep it for a fun crawler. New gears and a locker are planned but priority is lift and tires. I’ve looked into 37” tires and I’m concerned on my d30 front axel. If they could support the 37” tire and be able to wheel on the weekend without any major upgrades then I would go that route. I was thinking after the lift 4.88 gears and a locker. At the same time I don’t want to put a ton into the axels for the plain fact I would like to one day upgrade to pro rock 44’s all around with 5.13 and 37” tires. Like I said I’m new to this Jeep stuff and get lost in all the upgrades you can do to these vehicles. Seems like if you can think it you can modify it.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Thanks for the reply. Yeah mainly a daily driver for the next 5 years then maybe keep it for a fun crawler. New gears and a locker are planned but priority is lift and tires. I’ve looked into 37” tires and I’m concerned on my d30 front axel. If they could support the 37” tire and be able to wheel on the weekend without any major upgrades then I would go that route. I was thinking after the lift 4.88 gears and a locker. At the same time I don’t want to put a ton into the axels for the plain fact I would like to one day upgrade to pro rock 44’s all around with 5.13 and 37” tires. Like I said I’m new to this Jeep stuff and get lost in all the upgrades you can do to these vehicles. Seems like if you can think it you can modify it.

Yeah, I wouldn’t recommend 37’s on the d30 either. Like mentioned by others, keep researching lifts. MC doesn’t have the best reputation here while Evo and Rancho seem to be very popular. I personally don’t have any of them and made my own Budget Boost.

Like I mentioned, if you go past 3”, you will need to consider a drag link flip, adjustable control arms, adjustable trackbar/bracket and extend brake lines/relocation brackets. Some kits will come with this stuff while others don’t. Depending on the outcome of all that you might need longer drive shafts. The fun never ends!

Cstone4985

Yeah, I wouldn’t recommend 37’s on the d30 either. Like mentioned by others, keep researching lifts. MC doesn’t have the best reputation here while Evo and Rancho seem to be very popular. I personally don’t have any of them and made my own Budget Boost.

Like I mentioned, if you go past 3”, you will need to consider a drag link flip, adjustable control arms, adjustable trackbar/bracket and extend brake lines/relocation brackets. Some kits will come with this stuff while others don’t. Depending on the outcome of all that you might need longer drive shafts. The fun never ends!

Yeah I figure 37” tires are out of the question for now. At least for awhile. The metal cloak comes within the 1500-1700 budget I set for the lift and comes with all the above mentioned. Extended brake lines, adjustable control arms, track bar adjustable and bracket flip. If someone can offer a lift to research that offers all what the metal cloak does id would definitely put in the time to research it. Haven’t bought anything yet. Saving a few more months then I’ll be able to afford it.

WJCO

Meme King
It's an eternal sickness. And once you think you're 'done,' it's likely that it will break. As the sickness grows, you'll buy another Jeep. Then Jeep clothing, then Jeep decorations for the home and garage. It will consume every aspect of your life. You will be a prisoner and a slave. Enjoy and have fun :thumb:

longarmwj

Like WJCO said, it never ends.

Personally I haven’t heard good things about metalcloak, especially their 6 pack shocks. For your budget there are other better lift kits you can buy. Just steer away from rough country and teraflex and other low quality brands

Clutch

Caught the Bug
You’ll never be done tinkering but I was content once I put on a 2” puck lift and 35s Nitto Trail Grapplers. Everything thing else just made it more capable. And that still took me almost 2 years for my jeep (first jeep). If I got another I’d have it built in probably 2 months, because I feel more confident I know what I’m doing.

Edit: look into Evo Manufacturing 3” enforcer lift, Synergy, JKS, or Rancho lifts. I have the JKS 2.5” on my 2 door but if I had the 4 door I’d go with the 3 or 4” enforcer with the Draglink flip kit.

Last edited:

Red Knight15

Caught the Bug
They are never really done. I have been working on mine about 4 years.
No need to replace the rear axle housing. You can lock it , 4.88 gears and upgrade axles shafts. It will run 35s or 37s with the right upgrades. The front is a different story , don’t lock the D30. You can regear it and save your money for ProRock 44 .
That’s what I did. Well pleased so far. IMG_4403.JPG
When I bought it.
IMG_4708.jpg
About 4 years and 15-16k later, still not done.
Welcome to the sickness and congrats on the the Jeep.

JJ151

Building a Jeep is certainly a long process depending on goals and access to disposable income. As far as MetalCloak is concerned I know many people running their lift kits and really like them. It was part of my decision to add their control arms when I upgraded my axles. So far so good. I do agree that 3.73 and 35s will be a bit rough here in Oregon.

Coop

Caught the Bug
Building a Jeep is certainly a long process depending on goals and access to disposable income. As far as MetalCloak is concerned I know many people running their lift kits and really like them. It was part of my decision to add their control arms when I upgraded my axles. So far so good. I do agree that 3.73 and 35s will be a bit rough here in Oregon.

Disposable income? Hmmm. Maybe that’s what’s wrong!

wjtstudios

Hooked
You found the right place to get honest, experienced based information. Read a bunch of threads here, it should help make your decision. Then call Bubba from Exodus Jeeps and talk with. him. You guys can easy develop a plan that will fit your budget and not have to spend money twice on crap parts you are going to replace after a year or two. Good luck with your build and welcome!

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 Jeep Scrambler

duktrx

What makes you say that. From the research I’ve done they are one of the tops along with rockcrawler. If you recommend a different brand I’d be happy to research it.

When looking for a jeep, test drove a jeep with a Metalcloak lift, don't know which kit it was; had all 8 arm and front trackbar, and fox shocks.

Handled terribly, very flighty, and harsh ride, thought the tires may have been over inflated, running 25 psi on 35" Toyo Open Country MT's.

Rode in jeep with an OME lift, which influenced my lift decision, I went 4" OME and added JKS drag link flip, and RK lower front arms.

After I installed my lift; I rode in a 4 door with front RK arms, Plush ride springs and Rancho shocks. Felt like riding in a Cadillac.

I settled for 35s due to my D30 up front, still getting by on 3.73 gears, but I have a manual so can deal with the trek over the mountains.

monstrousmac

Caught the Bug
I have been working on my for 9 Years, Currently have 3.5 Rock Krawler X-Factor Lift (I have had it for 7 Years now and no problems) I did go with the EVO Plush ride springs and Bilstein 5160 Shocks. I just put in my DynaTrac Pro Rock 44and 37 inch tires. I am not a Fan of Metal Cloak lifts or shocks. I have personally seen the shocks break and fail during one of the European Jeepers Jamborees. A few shots of mine through the stages.

Attachments

• Jeep JK 2013 Bilstein Shocks 097.jpg
    Jeep JK 2013 Bilstein Shocks 097.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_6867.jpg
    IMG_6867.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC_04894.jpg
    DSC_04894.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 55
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 54
  • B28BE571-C5DC-488D-AAB4-7528CEC3A9DE.jpeg
    B28BE571-C5DC-488D-AAB4-7528CEC3A9DE.jpeg
    138.2 KB · Views: 54
  • D885857F-2948-4D9C-9EF4-FBEC6B95084A.jpeg
    D885857F-2948-4D9C-9EF4-FBEC6B95084A.jpeg
    133.9 KB · Views: 54
  • CEF85700-9E39-4B0F-B20D-CCFB15A9BC88.jpeg
    CEF85700-9E39-4B0F-B20D-CCFB15A9BC88.jpeg
    117.2 KB · Views: 54
  • BA8F4D2F-C9E5-4275-B236-B4D4C22F4A7C.jpeg
    BA8F4D2F-C9E5-4275-B236-B4D4C22F4A7C.jpeg
    164.4 KB · Views: 54

MericaMade

So being new to the Jeep world I was just wondering how long it took for the average guy to build the Jeep they wanted. I bout mine (2017 Jeep jku Smokey mountain edition) because even used rubicons were I live are still high 37k-43k for something that isn’t rode into the ground. Bought mine with 16k on it for 26k. I know doesn’t come with lockers or the d44 front axel but it does have 3.73 gearing. I’m currently saving for a metal cloak 3.5” lift and tires. Planning on running 31517r17. As the wheels I bought the spare (brand new) already has that size. After that I have no idea where to go next. Lol. Anyways. How long did it take you guys to build your Jeep to the way you like it or are you still working on it?

All it takes is money! If you got 20k take it to ORE and 5 days later Boom!!! DONE.

Bought mine new in 2017 and about 90 percent complete today. Its never going to be 100 percent done LOL!

Last edited:
Top Bottom