How to keep my St. Bernard safe in my JKUR when the top is off?

sm31

As the title says... is it possible?

I'm worried about how to drive my 170 lb saint (he's tall for a St. too...) around in the jeep with the top off.

Was thinking about a harness... if I can find/build one large enough, and some sort of strap to attach it to the top center portion of the roll bar. It needs to be long enough so he can move around a bit and lay down but I'm worried the length of the strap could defeat the purpose.

Jaeger would *love* to ride back there with the top off but I want it to be as safe as possible!

Attachments

• 20190623_161300.jpg
    20190623_161300.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 99

Weebz

Caught the Bug
I run my 180 lb Mastiff around as is and he doesn’t think about moving. He’s also too lazy and scared to jump out even when I want him to.

nbunga

Caught the Bug
I used to run around with a Saint Bernard and a lab in the back of my pickup, usually they would end up laying down. Never worried about them jumping out.

jesse3638

Hooked
I had a 175 lb English Mastiff that I'd put in the bed of my truck, easier said than done..haha. I got two lengths of chain that went about 2/3's across the bed from each forward bed anchor. I attached them to the bed with the barrel screw links then to each other with a caribeaner/spring link type link. I'd put the cinch collar on her that I'd use to walk her. She could stand up and walk from side to side just not close enough to think she could jump out. If she pulled hard the collar would tighten like pulling the leash. You could probably do something similar using the latch teacher mounts on the bottom of the rear seats.

I'm not sure where the chain ended up but if I can find it I'll show you and take some pics of it in the jeep.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jsouder53

Hooked
I ended up finding a “seat belt” harness at a thrift shop for my husky, haven’t given it a try yet. It was a few bucks so thought it couldn’t hurt. He would absolutely jump out if he had the chance lol

jesse3638

Hooked
I ended up finding a “seat belt” harness at a thrift shop for my husky, haven’t given it a try yet. It was a few bucks so thought it couldn’t hurt. He would absolutely jump out if he had the chance lol
A coworker of mine had his boxer jump out and he was tied off. Fortunately he was going slow around a turn and went to the outside so he didn't go under the rear wheel.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

duktrx

My parents had a harness for their Great Pyrenees, she was as big as a St Bernard, so should be able get that portion of the restraint. In the back seat the center position would be option,

If you dont need the center seatbelt, what about feeding the buckle portion of the middle seat belt to the cargo area and use the center belt. My tuffy deck makes it hard for me to see how this would work, just an option I can see as a possible solution.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom