Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Motech LS Swap Gremlins

Fresh Catch
    I used a Motech kit, itís gen v l86 with 8l90. Uses the stock AC pump in stock location. I also put the DTD and thereís no interference. Maybe the RPM Extreme mounts the engine lower? What exactly contacts?

Right now my biggest annoyance is the shifter, Iím going to make a new plate that will put the shifter positions next to a lever stop.

Functionally itís all working as it should except for traction control. I donít have overheating issues and the fan doesnít ever ramp up to 100%. Engine temp stays steady, hasnít creeped up. I live in a tropical environment, 90 and humid. Maybe later in the summer itíll be different, but Iíll keep an eye on it anyway.

Right now I have more gripes on the DTD / Lever than on the gen v drivetrain.

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus Jeeps View Post
    The up-travel on the DTD is so much so that it hits the ac compressor. They use all GM accessories which puts the ac compressor too low.

Look, donít get bound up over opinions. Just be careful making claims that the LT swap is good to go, until you really put some miles on it. I swap engines for a living and Iím not touching that swap for a reason.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeseburger View Post
    I used a Motech kit, itís gen v l86 with 8l90. Uses the stock AC pump in stock location. I also put the DTD and thereís no interference. Maybe the RPM Extreme mounts the engine lower? What exactly contacts?

Right now my biggest annoyance is the shifter, Iím going to make a new plate that will put the shifter positions next to a lever stop.

Functionally itís all working as it should except for traction control. I donít have overheating issues and the fan doesnít ever ramp up to 100%. Engine temp stays steady, hasnít creeped up. I live in a tropical environment, 90 and humid. Maybe later in the summer itíll be different, but Iíll keep an eye on it anyway.

Right now I have more gripes on the DTD / Lever than on the gen v drivetrain.
    He literally said in the post you quoted what interferes with the dtd.

RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

2012 Dozer JK
    -Dynatrac PR44/Rubicon Rear
    -Nitto 37Ē Trail Grapplers
    -Rock Krawler 2.5Ē Lift
    -ATX Slabs
    -Warn VR8
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

2012 Billet Silver JKUR
    -EVO DTD front and rear
    -Dynatrac PR60/PR80
    -EVO High Clearance Long Arm
    -Nitto 40Ē Trail grapplers
    -KMC Machetes
    -JE Reel 1410/1350 Driveshafts
    -Warn CTI 9.5
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

1975 DJ5

Fresh Catch
    He said what gets hit, not whatís doing the hitting. I replied with my experience on running gen v and DTD and all clears. You are one dense dude.

Quote Originally Posted by OverlanderJK View Post
    He literally said in the post you quoted what interferes with the dtd.

He said what gets hit, not whatís doing the hitting. I replied with my experience on running gen v and DTD and all clears. You are one dense dude.
    Dumb. Maybe you should have left.

RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

2012 Dozer JK
    -Dynatrac PR44/Rubicon Rear
    -Nitto 37Ē Trail Grapplers
    -Rock Krawler 2.5Ē Lift
    -ATX Slabs
    -Warn VR8
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

2012 Billet Silver JKUR
    -EVO DTD front and rear
    -Dynatrac PR60/PR80
    -EVO High Clearance Long Arm
    -Nitto 40Ē Trail grapplers
    -KMC Machetes
    -JE Reel 1410/1350 Driveshafts
    -Warn CTI 9.5
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

1975 DJ5

The passenger side upper control arm hits the ac compressor.

Fresh Catch
    Iím going to change out springs soon. Iíll put it full bump and post a picture. It clears on mine.

I am running UD 60ís, what axle/mounts were you using when you had the clearance issue? Stock or something aftermarket? Curious if they were taller?

The passenger side upper control arm hits the ac compressor.

Iím going to change out springs soon. Iíll put it full bump and post a picture. It clears on mine.

I am running UD 60ís, what axle/mounts were you using when you had the clearance issue? Stock or something aftermarket? Curious if they were taller?
    There are no issues with the motech kit and the DTD. It was the the RPM gen 4 kit.

Maybe I misunderstood. Are you using the RPM kit?

Fresh Catch
    I used Motech. I was asking whatís the difference with RPM vs Motech that one would clear and the other not. Iím guessing RPM places the engine lower in the chassis?

Now, the truck style water pump does get close to the steering box. But it clears.

Overland Performance. Itís still Motech but they are basically a middle man that has refined the kit and customer service 1000%. If it wasnít for them, I wouldnít be doing LS swaps at all.

I know you guys already moved past this comment but i want to highlight what Bubba said about John at Overland Performance. He has taken no less than 10 calls from me in the last 4 days at all hours of the day to help me get my issues sorted out. He has sent me a couple different tunes and walked me through the changes and things are running so much better. I wouldnít go Gen V (or Gen IV for that matter) without a good tuner that knows what they are doing like John.

Spent a good portion of the day on Poison Spider today. Just past Little Arch, there is an obstacle that has a steep climb. I started crawling up it in 4H and kept increasing throttle until it was floored and I wasnít going anywhere. Not enough power to climb it. I backed down and went into 4L and then crawled up it. I was shocked that the LS didnít have enough power to climb it. Still thinking I have some weird stuff going on but WAY better than the last few days.

You shouldnt need to change your springs out. Given that your suspension has only been on for 1k miles, it is just settling in. I would look more into how it is tuned before messing with spring rate. Your timing ring could be too low on the coilover. Also need to looking into your compression/rebound tubes. I would recommend only adjusting one thing at a time otherwise you wont be able to tell the difference on adjustments.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast