Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Rock Hard Skids - Poor Design!

It's not just about weight. Hell, you could make a 2" thick belly pan that goes frame rail to frame rail if you are willing to give up 2" of ground clearance. Skids plates are about compromise. How much clearance are you willing to sacrifice (and weight are you willing to gain) to provide what level of protection?

While I'm sure a hefty quadruple-ply garbage bag would provide better protection...there is a reason people buy rubbers.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Knows a Thing or Two elgordomucho's Avatar
    I’m confused. I am nowhere near the level of the members on here, but it seems like it did its job? I mean shit that banging on essential parts would have fucked you over a lot more.

Also you admitted you were going to copy a companies product on here, may want to think about saying that on a public forum.

Also everyone keep their eye out for my upcoming Jet Li T-shirt’s.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Rock Hard Skids - Poor Design!

Quote Originally Posted by rubiDave View Post
    Have you hit it since you shimmed it? I shimmed mine too to eliminate the rattle. Next trip it took a hit and the shim smashed into the cross member exactly the the thickness of the shim. The exhaust tube rattle is back.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Not exactly sure where its been hit since then... but its been hit for sure... Still good so far... and if makes contact again, I’ll bang it all out and start over.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post

While I'm sure a hefty quadruple-ply garbage bag would provide better protection...there is a reason people buy rubbers.
    Lol!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post

He’s a lawyer, he would know. “Yes your honor. I’m suing Trojan to pay my child support.”

Nothing but a Thing Zstairlessone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    Unfortunately I think your going to be disappointed with pretty much every skid plate option there is. I bent mine just goofing around last weekend flex testing. It didn't feel like a hard hit at all but I bent the oil pan trans skid enough to split the seem on the passenger side where it angles in. I just got a big ass pry bar a hammer and bent it back enough to weld up the split. I think the bending soaked up the hit so I too was surprised how much it was bent. It's just part of the game. Wait until it touches the exhaust and rattles. It will drive you nuts!

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Maybe he can get a 3/4” AR 500 plate made, might last a little longer

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    Wait until it touches the exhaust and rattles. It will drive you nuts!

That seriously drives me nuts. Plus haven’t had time to get around to adjusting it

Rock Hard Skids - Poor Design!

Am I the only one here going to offer a solution? No more worrying about them. No more rattles. No more having to touch them up with paint. No more shimming or bending back.

I’ll give you 50 bucks for all your skids.
    en hopup veritas

My jeep was leaking fluid. I just Installed skid plates and no more leak. Two birds!

Quote Originally Posted by HighwayTrout View Post
    Am I the only one here going to offer a solution? No more worrying about them. No more rattles. No more having to touch them up with paint. No more shimming or bending back.

I’ll give you 50 bucks for all your skids.
    Solid solution

Quote Originally Posted by Jsouder53 View Post
    That seriously drives me nuts. Plus haven’t had time to get around to adjusting it
    I've had good luck with a real big long pry bar and a big hammer on the trail. If you can catch the corner near the crossmember with the pry bar and then hit the plate right right under the crossmember while prying. It's kind of a two person job but it works pretty good.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456