3.6 or 2.0?

Braxtonsag

I’m looking into trading in my jk and building a similar jl but one thing that has me stuck is which engine to go with. The mpg potential of the 2.0 really has me leaning that way but I KNOW the 3.6 is a great engine being that I have one and it’s yet to give me any problems.

I live in the center of indiana and only get to play in the west one month a year. We travel a lot so the gas mileage is kind of a big deal if it’s not much of a performance sacrifice.

Iv done some searching and everything I’ve found was from early 2018 before anyone really got any hands on experience with the jl, so wondering if anyone has some updated info that could help sway my decision!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Napalm

I went back and forth on this debate quite a bit before buying my JL... and I ended up going with the 3.6L. I don’t have anything negative to say about the 2.0L, but I just wanted what I knew. I’ve owned a lot of Jeeps with the 3.6L, and just felt much more comfortable with that. Granite, I did average 17mpg on my road trip recently... and I am completely stock. The real star of the show is the 8spd.. but that’s another story for another thread. [emoji16]

If it goes anything like my search did, you’ll beat yourself up looking for a definitive answer on the internet to help you decide which engine is best. Unfortunately, there isn’t one. Test drive both of them, choose the one that works best for you. There are advantages and disadvantages to both of them I am sure.

Good luck in your search and be sure to let us know what you decide!

Last edited:

Ddays

Hooked
If the choice was simply between a 2.0t and the 3.6 V6, it might come down to what you like best. But the added complexity of the 2.0t being a mild hybrid is what pushed me to the 3.6. The other reason I chose the 3.6 is longevity. I know the Pentastar v6. This is my 3rd vehicle with it. My '12 Durango now has 255k miles on it and I do not burn oil and haven't touched the drivetrain since new. I keep vehicles a long time and rarely get rid of them until they're well over 200k miles. I couldn't get reassurances from anyone that the 2.0 would have the same durability.

wjtstudios

Hooked
I’ve had the opportunity to drive the 2.0 in a JLU Sahara for about 2,000 miles this month. 1500 miles of that was in New Mexico above 7k. We averaged 29 mpg running around up there. The last 500 has been with my dads JLU Sahara on 33s closer to sea level. He and I are averaging about 26 mpg. I agree with Ddays about the unknown complexity of the 2.0, but after driving it a ton this month I liked it enough to have my dad buy his with it. He’ll never build it above the 33s we put under it, So i don’t have much insight on a built Jeep with a 2.0. His plan is to tow it out west behind his RV and tour the National Parks and explore the back roads.

Short of running mountain roads we ran, we’ve had limited trail use. I’ll have his up on Drummond in August. We’ll give it a run then and try not to scratch it. It’s a bit too pretty for me.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 Jeep Scrambler

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
I have no experience with the 2.0 but Mel seems to like it. He got high 20s stock pre running the GladiatorX I think. And I remember he posted a while back that he actually preferred the 2.0 over the 3.6 or a v8 on the hwy but liked the bigger non turbo engines Offroad.

Braxtonsag

I’ll stick with the 3.6 then. I’d rather not take the chance and end up regretting it. I know I’ll be much happier regardless with the 8 speed and supposedly the 3.6 was “slightly reworked” for better fuel economy. Not really sure what all that entails.

Well on to the next subject then, I am planning on keeping my wheels, tires, bumper, and winch from the jk and I’ll need a lift. Rather than buying a whole kit I’m leaning towards piecing one together. As of right now I’m thinking Core 4x4 Tier 3 front lower and rear upper arms, Evo springs, haven’t decided on extended end links or track bar yet because ideally I’d like to keep oem and run raised brackets if possible.

Or if anyone knows of a decent kit that includes everything I’m not opposed to it. I just prefer mostly maintenance free and quality parts. After having my rock krawler kit I’m good on having to buy special expensive grease that’s hard to find and keeping it on hand all the time.

Anyone have any input?

Ddays

Hooked
Are you sure the bumper will fit? I don't think it will but could be wrong.

You should check out the sister site - jlwrangler.com - lots of good info over there to check out. Especially the lift questions you have.

Jeepfan30

I’m looking into trading in my jk and building a similar jl but one thing that has me stuck is which engine to go with. The mpg potential of the 2.0 really has me leaning that way but I KNOW the 3.6 is a great engine being that I have one and it’s yet to give me any problems.

I live in the center of indiana and only get to play in the west one month a year. We travel a lot so the gas mileage is kind of a big deal if it’s not much of a performance sacrifice.

Iv done some searching and everything I’ve found was from early 2018 before anyone really got any hands on experience with the jl, so wondering if anyone has some updated info that could help sway my decision!

I'm averaging 23.5 mpg with mixed city/hwy miles. Completely stock 2.0 JLUR with 2500 miles on it.

Braxtonsag

Are you sure the bumper will fit? I don't think it will but could be wrong.

You should check out the sister site - jlwrangler.com - lots of good info over there to check out. Especially the lift questions you have.

Idk I just said fuck it and bought a prorock. I can’t get the dealership to cooperate and they’re making the process a pain in the ass so I’ll just keep mine and ditch the Dana 30 in a few weeks when the pro rock gets here.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Idk I just said fuck it and bought a prorock. I can’t get the dealership to cooperate and they’re making the process a pain in the ass so I’ll just keep mine and ditch the Dana 30 in a few weeks when the pro rock gets here.

That’ll solve the problem

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 Jeep Scrambler

Jeepfan30

I was in the same boat until I found a 2018 marked down $10,800 off MSRP. I loved my built 2014 and still miss it some days, but the JL is such a huge improvement.

Braxtonsag

I was in the same boat until I found a 2018 marked down $10,800 off MSRP. I loved my built 2014 and still miss it some days, but the JL is such a huge improvement.

I didn’t need to hear that 😂 I’d love a jl but the dealers around here are seriously so lousy. There are 5 fca plants in the area that employ thousands of people so they can pick and choose who they want to work with because there’s so many of us that buy what we build.

NightFox915

Go with the 2.0 my friend I already had to replace two lifters from my pentastar and I do it’s oil changes always at the dealership made me think twice now and started doing my own oil changes

BlueRubicon

Caught the Bug
2.0L is the future and then electric. Better all get use to it.
I have JLU Rubicon with 2.0L and its fine. When I off-road it does great. One of you said you averaged 26 or 29mpg driving around out west.

BULLSHIT!!! maybe if you were driving down hill the whole time. I’ve had mine since end of Nov and have about 5800 miles on it.
Expect for normal driving 17-19. Wranglers will NEVER get great gas mileage until hybrid or all electric

Last edited:
Top Bottom