Engine whine at all RPMs

aermotor

2012 JK 3.6 w/ 68K miles

I have an annoying engine whine that started about a week ago. It’s at all RPMs all the time. I don’t think the steering pump as it doesn’t happen when turning (have PSC Big Bore 1 year old). Don’t think it’s transmission as it happens all the time even when I’m neutral and revving engine.

It sounds like it’s coming from near the alternator but I’m not sure, could be the main pulley under it.

Wondering if anyone has had something similar and how you solved it. Thanks

bhaner

I get the same thing now and then. Almost sounds like a supercharger.

I have read that it could be the tensioner or idler pulleys. I just haven't isolated what one it is yet.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
2012 JK 3.6 w/ 68K miles

I have an annoying engine whine that started about a week ago. It’s at all RPMs all the time. I don’t think the steering pump as it doesn’t happen when turning (have PSC Big Bore 1 year old). Don’t think it’s transmission as it happens all the time even when I’m neutral and revving engine.

It sounds like it’s coming from near the alternator but I’m not sure, could be the main pulley under it.

Wondering if anyone has had something similar and how you solved it. Thanks

Was happening to mine. Replaced the idler pulley. With a stethoscope you could hear the bearing was shot. Got an aftermarket one for $12 at a local store

aermotor

Was happening to mine. Replaced the idler pulley. With a stethoscope you could hear the bearing was shot. Got an aftermarket one for $12 at a local store

I’m seeing 2 idler pulleys, the main lower one off the engine and then a smaller upper one, which one did you replace?

3b05e183a3ef338fbd3cd2f2ec50e56b.png

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Engine wine at all RPMs

I’m seeing 2 idler pulleys, the main lower one off the engine and then a smaller upper one, which one did you replace?

3b05e183a3ef338fbd3cd2f2ec50e56b.png

I have a 3.8l so I only have one idler pulley lol.

Replaced number 8.

I had a similar issue happen to me last year. I thought it was an alternator noise but turned out mud got into one of the idler pulleys and ruined the bearings

Top Bottom