Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Prorock 44 leak(s) Need Help

Caught the Bug

Prorock 44 leak(s) Need Help

I have a Prorock 44 with a 35 spline ARB locker and RCV shafts I bought here in Wisconsin from a vendor. The axle has about 3000 miles of mostly street driving and the last time it was wheeled was December of 18. I know the leak is new (today) because I installed a metalcloak lift about a month ago and there was no leak. I have gear oil in 2 places. One is at the knuckle near the rcv shaft but the other is puzzling and it is on top of the tube I think near the diff. I have no idea how this is leaking. I do run 37's also but have had no issues until now. First off please tell me how difficult it is to replace the seal? Do I have to pull the locker? DO you usually replace both seals? I also have heard 35 splines eat seals. Not sure if this is true but I hope not What parts do I need to fix this and what is the deal with the leak at the tube? Any advice / help is appreciated. Edpr44a.jpgpr44b.jpgpr44c.jpgpr44d.jpgpr44e.jpgpr44f.jpg

The leak near the diff looks like something above it dripping on it. Power steering or the coolant reservoir overflow. The one at the knuckle looks like an inner seal possibly.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Nothing but a Thing desertrunner's Avatar
    The one by the knuckle looks like a classic inner axle seal leak. Haven't experienced that with my PR but I had that same looking leak on my old JKUR. From the research I did with that one yes you have to pull the carrier to replace that seal and will need some sort of long pipe to pound out the old seal. I didn't end up replacing them in my old Jeep before selling it so can't help much there sorry.

The other leak though I would agree it looks like something dripping from above. Maybe try cleaning that one up and catch it sooner might be more of an indication of where it's coming from. To me it doesn't look like it's coming from the tube or the plug welds and maybe just maybe a small leak from the cover with driving wind could spread it up on top like that but a cover leak would be an easy fix especially since you will need to pull the cover anyway to get to the inner seal

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Last edited by desertrunner; 06-27-2019 at 12:35 AM.
    12' 2dr Gecko Sport 6 speed
    PR44, ARBs, 4.88s, 35 spline rear, Adams 1350 Front & Rear, Rubi T-case, Rubi sway bar + Evo no limits, Evo armor & skids, 37/13.50" Cooper STT Pro, Evo 2" plush / OME med duty springs

***SOLD*** 08' JKU Rubicon 6-speed Stone White, 3.5" RK lift, 37" KM2s and lots more.
    ***CURRENT DD*** 16' F150

Agreed with the others... Check your steering gear and trans cooler lines just above that general area. Probably the steering gear as the trans lines are probably too far forward to hit the axle.

--
    Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407
    Build Thread: The Adventures of Fiona
    '08 JKR Rescue Green 2-Door

What color is the fluid on the diff? Lightly press a white rag and post it. It looks slightly pink in the pics.

Call Dynatrac before working on it yourself. They have a 12 month no-fault warranty.

IMG_20190626_192954_817.jpg
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Dynatrac will take care of it. We recently installed a PR44 with 35 splines and it immediately leaked. They sent out a new immediately.

Caught the Bug
    Thanks for the replies folks. Its been in for more than a year but I certainly will take any help they will give. It certainly has not been wheeled hard and that is the truth. I like doing what I can but this one is a little beyond me. Id love to watch the guy fix it because I think it may be a trend but now I have to find that guy to fix it and the parts he will need. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ed View Post
    Thanks for the replies folks. Its been in for more than a year but I certainly will take any help they will give. It certainly has not been wheeled hard and that is the truth. I like doing what I can but this one is a little beyond me. Id love to watch the guy fix it because I think it may be a trend but now I have to find that guy to fix it and the parts he will need. Thanks again!
    I have the Spicer part number you need at the shop. If I don’t post it back up here later then you might try calling me at the shop and I’ll give it to you. It’s a $10 seal, with about $250 labor at a reputable shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ed View Post
    Spicer #36487

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast