Pentastar tick again:/

NightFox915

So this is the second time this engine (driver side) has been ticking. I uncovered the valve cover for second time after noticing a tick tick tick noise from the engine coming out of the Dunkin’ Donuts lol perfect way to start the morning right? Lol well discovered another bad rocker hence tick noice bad bearing on it? Has anyone upgraded their camshaft lifters and rockers? I saw some aftermarket ones and thinking of rebuilding the entire valve bay or engine swap? What do you recommend? Lol thinking of that Ls swap ;)

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I haven't had any issues on my 3.6 but I only have 32k miles. With all the horror stories I have heard I wonder if it is even worth tearing into engine to do upgrades. Save that money for the LS swap!

So this is the second time this engine (driver side) has been ticking. I uncovered the valve cover for second time after noticing a tick tick tick noise from the engine coming out of the Dunkin’ Donuts lol perfect way to start the morning right? Lol well discovered another bad rocker hence tick noice bad bearing on it? Has anyone upgraded their camshaft lifters and rockers? I saw some aftermarket ones and thinking of rebuilding the entire valve bay or engine swap? What do you recommend? Lol thinking of that Ls swap ;)

rsbad454

I bought my 15 Rubicon with 18k miles on it in 2017, and no tick or rocker noise until a few thousand miles later. It only made that noise periodically at start up then noise disappeared once oil pressure built up. The tick was periodic at start up only...then a little over a month ago at 42k I got the P0306 cylinder 6 misfire CEL code. I reset the code to see how long it took to come back, but at that same time I noticed the idle seemed to be a little more rough than usual. It took quite a few miles to set the code again. I checked code with my scan tool.....P0306. I decided to change spark plugs out for new ones, and swap #6 coil with #1 to see if code followed. Once I completed the work, I started the engine, went for a drive....and boom, check engine light came back on. Rechecked code, and it showed the same P0306....so at that point I knew it was a mechanical issue, and called the dealer. It has been sitting at the dealer with the drivers side head tore off waiting for the replacement to show up. Typically the tick is the rocker needle bearings eating away the pin they ride on causing a loose fit, hence the ticking noise. Sucks they haven't figured out better material to use for rockers, and the head issues.:hmm:

NightFox915

Yeah i was reading up on a new 2018 pentastar engine on a Chrysler 300 with 5000 miles on it and camshaft had completely warped due to rockers and lifters again with the same problem. I literally think they do this on purpose so they can keep getting our hard earned money. they've have this problem since jk 2007. Why hasn't Chrysler dress this problem with better internal mechanic material? I went to the dealership when it had its first tick they wanted an estimate of 1800$ just to switch out a rocker. I said hell no plus it would be in the garage for a month or two. it literally took me 4 hours to complete. rocker arm from mopar at jeep was $7.00, gasket kit for upper intake and valve covers was about 40$ a little bit of silicone and were good. Tore the upper intake out removed the driver side valve cover and what did i find loose rockers (bearings shot) so replaced the loose rocker. covered back everything to torque settings (very very important) put everything back together, boom no tick noise i also switched out the oil weight since 5w20 is really really light especially synthetic, i know why they choose it so it be more fuel economic but i went with a pensoil high mileage conventional 5w30 i have 80k on my jeep no problems whatsoever.

praktfull1

Yeah i was reading up on a new 2018 pentastar engine on a Chrysler 300 with 5000 miles on it and camshaft had completely warped due to rockers and lifters again with the same problem. I literally think they do this on purpose so they can keep getting our hard earned money. they've have this problem since jk 2007. Why hasn't Chrysler dress this problem with better internal mechanic material? I went to the dealership when it had its first tick they wanted an estimate of 1800$ just to switch out a rocker. I said hell no plus it would be in the garage for a month or two. it literally took me 4 hours to complete. rocker arm from mopar at jeep was $7.00, gasket kit for upper intake and valve covers was about 40$ a little bit of silicone and were good. Tore the upper intake out removed the driver side valve cover and what did i find loose rockers (bearings shot) so replaced the loose rocker. covered back everything to torque settings (very very important) put everything back together, boom no tick noise i also switched out the oil weight since 5w20 is really really light especially synthetic, i know why they choose it so it be more fuel economic but i went with a pensoil high mileage conventional 5w30 i have 80k on my jeep no problems whatsoever.
Which valve gaskets did you use? They're $60+ here for a set and rocker arms are a bit over $8. Still cheaper than the $2500-$3500 quote from the dealership

Sent from my SM-G975U using WAYALIFE mobile app

rsbad454

Interesting mine has had that tick since almost new I have 40k now on it and have never had a code wondering if I should be concern.

As long as the tick isn't constant, I wouldn't worry about. As long as you don't have a code, there isn't anything to worry about, plus it's covered under powertrain warranty. If tick is constant, I would have rocker changed before cam lobe gets worn down.

jorgelrod

Hooked
If tick is constant, I would have rocker changed before cam lobe gets worn down.

Mine is ticking but hasn't thrown the code, I'm trying to ride it at least as possible until I can take it to the shop in August.

Last edited:

NightFox915

I bought mine from the dealership we have a Chrysler Jeep and dodge dealership. Yeah keep a look out for that tick also look down to see if you have any oil leaks under the oil filter reservoir the O ring gaskets seem to wear out pretty bad had to replace mine

Top Bottom