Soft tops

Napalm

I can honestly say that I have ran every top pretty much made for the Jeep thanks to my own indecisiveness. But because of that I have learned the quirks and features of all of them. In short it really does come down to personal preference. Here are some high points in my opinion in owning and using the different tops. Keep in mind though, these are subjective and may differ from you or what someone else thinks.

Hardtop - safer if you have to park outside, looks nice, the back window makes for super easy opening and closing, it is the quietest of tops you can run(subjective), but is large and cantankerous for removal. I dread removing mine from my JL because i have no help and no lifting solution yet.

Factory soft top - also looks good. Allows you to easily pull it back and run completely convertible style

Trektop (or fast back style) - in my opinion, the best looking of the three, but with a few draw backs. The slant back design does rob you of some storage space in the rear. But if you go with something like the Trektop NX, those tops have a lot of cool features that make it very appealing. Although, another drawback is you cannot run fully naked without completely removing the entire Trektop.

Hope this helps. In my opinion, I think the best option is to keep your hard top(if you have one) and purchase a soft top and run it during the nice months and have a hard top for winter. And if you decide never to put your hard top back on again, you can always sell it. I myself am struggling right now at wanting to sell my JLU hardtop so I can put a Trektop on Remi, but I am trying to keep the hard top so I can have both. Good luck. [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
I like the look of the fast back tops but seeing in person the lack of storage space, that part kind of sucks.

Braxtonsag

Iv also had all 3, factory soft top looked gay to me because of the bows on the roof and made the rear end look bow legged, I liked the hard top but mine was used and kind of a piece of shit. It didn’t seal right because it was the old style that didn’t have the center latch so wind noise was a huge issue and the rubber feet were missing from the latches so it was just all around ghetto on brand new Jeep. I currently have a twill trektop nx and I like it but I’m not sure I love it.

My Jeep is base model so I added a small powered sub to the cargo area. I do love that with the rear windows removed it’s a premium bikini top, but I don’t like how you have that tiny hole to put shit in the back with the windows installed. That goes for really any soft top though. It folds back so much nicer than the factory soft top though. Your decision really just needs to be between a hard top or trektop, skip factory soft top all together. Here’s a pic of mine with windows removed and a tonneau cover IMG_2840.jpg

Bierpower

Hooked
I found a factory trill top on Craiglist for a song. I like the look of the trek top but with the car seat and two labs I couldn't cut off that much cargo space. Like everybody said, it comes down to what will work best for your situation.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

DogHouse

I can honestly say that I have ran every top pretty much made for the Jeep thanks to my own indecisiveness. But because of that I have learned the quirks and features of all of them. In short it really does come down to personal preference. Here are some high points in my opinion in owning and using the different tops. Keep in mind though, these are subjective and may differ from you or what someone else thinks.

Hardtop - safer if you have to park outside, looks nice, the back window makes for super easy opening and closing, it is the quietest of tops you can run(subjective), but is large and cantankerous for removal. I dread removing mine from my JL because i have no help and no lifting solution yet.

Factory soft top - also looks good. Allows you to easily pull it back and run completely convertible style

Trektop (or fast back style) - in my opinion, the best looking of the three, but with a few draw backs. The slant back design does rob you of some storage space in the rear. But if you go with something like the Trektop NX, those tops have a lot of cool features that make it very appealing. Although, another drawback is you cannot run fully naked without completely removing the entire Trektop.

Hope this helps. In my opinion, I think the best option is to keep your hard top(if you have one) and purchase a soft top and run it during the nice months and have a hard top for winter. And if you decide never to put your hard top back on again, you can always sell it. I myself am struggling right now at wanting to sell my JLU hardtop so I can put a Trektop on Remi, but I am trying to keep the hard top so I can have both. Good luck. [emoji1303]

I agree with all of this except for the last part of the fast back. The main reason I bought TrekTop NX Glide was because it will fold all the way down without having to take it off.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
I live in Wisconsin so I like having both factory tops. Hard Top November through April, Twill Factory Soft Top May through October. I have a hoist in the garage that makes removing and storing the Hard Top easy.

RCVRY

Trektop Pro 2-door here. I call it the whiskey top, not hard, not soft. Whistles when you blow it hard on the interstate. Can’t go full topless without wrenching but I’m okay with that.

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
Been wondering if I can get away with a soft top year round in SoCal . Not worried about weather or leaks or highway noise but mostly about people slashing it and getting into my Jeep which is parked in an outdoor spot . Sure would be nice tho . Freedom tops don’t do all that much and taking top off is horrendous . Had a soft top on a rental in Hawaii and used it constantly

TrailHunter

Hooked
Been wondering if I can get away with a soft top year round in SoCal . Not worried about weather or leaks or highway noise but mostly about people slashing it and getting into my Jeep which is parked in an outdoor spot . Sure would be nice tho . Freedom tops don’t do all that much and taking top off is horrendous . Had a soft top on a rental in Hawaii and used it constantly

I with you on this one... I really want one, but I trust nobody here.

BaddestCross

I with you on this one... I really want one, but I trust nobody here.
I've been running my soft top for about 2 years now. No issues, but I don't live in the good part of town like you guys. [emoji41]

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Top Bottom