Moab to Ouray

Red Knight15

Caught the Bug
Which is the best mountain pass heading from Moab to Ouray?Prefer scenic route. I’m from Alabama need all pointer I can get. You can pm if want.
Please don’t post coordinates per forum rules.
Thanks

Bierpower

Hooked
If you want scenic I would suggest 491 to 160 and then in Durango take 550 up to Ouray. That section of 550 is refered to as the million dollar highway if you want to Google it. If your headed back east I would recommend hwy 50 east from 550. It's a 50mph road for the most part but I love that drive. It winds past at least one ski resort and follow the Arkansas river for quite a ways before hitting I-25.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
Curious if there’s any cool landmarks along these routes? I’ll be in Ouray in late July heading to Moab. Driving the Jeep from NJ to CO to UT. Can’t wait!!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
Curious if there’s any cool landmarks along these routes? I’ll be in Ouray in late July heading to Moab. Driving the Jeep from NJ to CO to UT. Can’t wait!!

If you take 550 down to Durango there’s Mesa Verde National Park, ancient Pueblo ruins. There’s also Black Canyon just North of Ouray (maybe an hour). Google search these spots for more info.

WiscoHR

The last couple times I’ve made the drive from Moab to Ouray, I’ve taken La Sal Pass trail out of Moab. Then 90 to 145 to Telluride for lunch . Then Imogene Pass over to Ouray. Beautiful views and you get to spend a lot of time in the dirt on the way.

IMG_4925.jpg

IMG_1401.jpg

IMG_4959.jpg

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
The last couple times I’ve made the drive from Moab to Ouray, I’ve taken La Sal Pass trail out of Moab. Then 90 to 145 to Telluride for lunch . Then Imogene Pass over to Ouray. Beautiful views and you get to spend a lot of time in the dirt on the way.

View attachment 329870

View attachment 329871

View attachment 329872

Nice pics, I hope Imogene pass is open by then. I’ve read the snowpack is bad this year.

rlew0083

Ophir Pass just did open up this past week. We're going to be in Telluride later this month and hoping Imogene is open by then. Read that Black Bear may not open at all this year.

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
Ophir Pass just did open up this past week. We're going to be in Telluride later this month and hoping Imogene is open by then. Read that Black Bear may not open at all this year.

Good to know. I’m suppose to run Imogene on 7/22. I’m hoping they get it cleared in time.

Last edited:

Red Knight15

Caught the Bug

View attachment 329870

View attachment 329871

View attachment 329872

That sounds like what I’m looking for. Want to be in Ouray before dark. Wife gets nervous on the trails at night.

Top Bottom