Driver side door harness plug...

BlueRubicon

Caught the Bug
Have any of you had an issue with removing doors and than pins being bent on electrical connector after installing?
I saw on Wrangler forum a couple threads on it, but no real answers.
I took doors off back in May, and after installing, things didn't work. I took do dealer and they said some of pins were bent and wanted to charge me $194.00 to diagnose. I raised hell and spoke to GM and they bent pins back and got everything working for free.

Mind you, I am an electrician and have been dealing with plugs, connectors pins, etc for 30 years. I am pretty careful when plugging connectors in. I removed doors this past week and after putting back on yesterday...low and behold it is fucked again. After looking closely, I can see that female end is damaged from where a pin was bent last time. No fixing this time. Female end is on door harness side. Me thinks I need that harness. I probably don't have any choice but to have dealer deal with it(meaning order a harness for me.)
Has someone here had this same experience? If not...BEWARE...evidently those connectors are a problem. IMO a vehicle made for door removal should have plugs that are made for a little abuse.

19YJ94

Caught the Bug
I had some trouble with mine not wanting to plug in fully. So I just made sure they were clear of any dirt, then added some dielectric grease and have worked great since.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
I have seen somebody pulling the release lever without first pushing the small tab below it. Actually, that small tab can be very easy to miss. Do you think that this could be the issue?

BlueRubicon

Caught the Bug
I have seen somebody pulling the release lever without first pushing the small tab below it. Actually, that small tab can be very easy to miss. Do you think that this could be the issue?

No. Problem wasn’t removing, it was 1st time I reconnected. One of the small pins bent at the tip. Tech at dealer was able to “correct” but not guarantee if taken apart again.
When I removed 2nd time, then put back together
“very carefully”, I had/have things not working again. I looked at female end(door side) and tiny little female to bent pin is pretty much fucked. I used small pick to try and open up but nfg.
I ordered harness...shockingly only $60

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
I didn't know if maybe the pins could become damaged by forcing the leaver without pushing the tab. I don't think I would have ever noticed the tab, and only looked for it because I read the manual. I love reading those things cover to cover. Lol. Sounds like you got a decent price on the harness. Hope it goes in easy. 🍻

alf1096

Yes but mine was on the passenger side. Luckily I was able to straiten them out and it has worked fine the last few times. The small pins are just to fragile.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

If you know your way around electrics, why not just swap in a good quality weatherpack connector? Save your self a trip to dealer and $160

Noble Woodsman

If you know your way around electrics, why not just swap in a good quality weatherpack connector? Save your self a trip to dealer and $160

^^^This. I was wondering the same thing. Reduces likelihood of a repeat problem, and might be cheaper and easier to install than the harness.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Top Bottom