A WIDER STANCE for JET

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As some of you know, we had some rubbing issues after installing EVO long arms and coilovers on JET and even though 12.50 wide Trail Grapplers helped, what we really needed were new wheels with less back spacing or to install wheel spacers. Needless to say, we opted for the later or at least for now and here are a few shots of what JET looks like now. :cool:

Here's a shot of our pretty new and blue Spidertrax wheel spacers. And, before any of the haters chime in, we did in fact BUY THESE on Amazon and WITH OUR OWN MONEY.
20190627102218-173c4cd5-me.jpg

I should note that these are made specifically for a JL Wrangler and that means they not only come in a 5x5 bolt pattern, they're also 1.75" thick to clear the factory wheel studs AND they come with 14mm studs, just like what's on the axle.
20190627102246-56d008d5-me.jpg

Here's a shot of how much our 12.50 Nitto Trail Grapplers mounted on KMC XD231 wheels with 4.75" of back spacing stuck out past the fender flares.
20190627102310-060da742-me.jpg

And, here's a shot of how much they stick out with 1.75" wheel spacers installed.
20190627102344-198f6558-me.jpg

Here are some overall after shots to give you an idea of what JET looks like now.
20190627102348-6077600e-me.jpg

20190627102400-8b936cfb-me.jpg

20190627102412-37d5dc0d-me.jpg

20190627102415-f08c78be-me.jpg

20190627102424-c3c1c733-me.jpg

20190627102440-c3db93d8-me.jpg

20190627102437-c24e8fa4-me.jpg

Here's another close shot from up front to show how much our tires stick out past the fender flares.
20190627102531-ed34254d-me.jpg

And, just to make sure things are clearing now, we went down the street to flex JET on our local CTI ramp (Carson Travel Index).
20190627102535-5ded1767-me.jpg

20190627102615-af7fb0f6-me.jpg

20190627102618-a352b608-me.jpg

20190627102159-50b0ce49-me.jpg

All is good in the world! We still have some fender rubbing but really couldn't care less. Certainly, it's nothing to whine about. Our sidewalls aren't making contact with the sway bar link ends and that's all we wanted to fix. :yup:

longarmwj

You installed them? Don’t you mean WE installed them? You clearly don’t do anything yourself to your Jeep and have everything done for you. Duh. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Looked really wide when I saw it last weekend but looked great!

LOL - It didn't even take you a second to notice it. The stance is wide for sure but I think a lot of that comes from the fact that we have our lift set so low. Either way, I like it like this and it really is stable. :yup:

Looks good like that.... should hold you over until the 60/80 are ready. :D

LOL!! Indeed :)

Looking great as usual. Silly question but, do you guys find that when the track width changes it kind of comes with a learning curve of sorts? I know for me when I went to my ATX chamber pro II’s and my 37x13.50’s it took a little while to get used to having a wider track I felt like I had to learn my lines all over again.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You installed them? Don’t you mean WE installed them? You clearly don’t do anything yourself to your Jeep and have everything done for you. Duh. [emoji6]

LOL - you're right, I do apologize for not being clear. :cheesy:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Looking great as usual. Silly question but, do you guys find that when the track width changes it kind of comes with a learning curve of sorts? I know for me when I went to my ATX chamber pro II’s and my 37x13.50’s it took a little while to get used to having a wider track I felt like I had to learn my lines all over again.

Actually, JET is exactly and I mean exactly the same width as Moby is now. If anything, JET feels familiar now :)

Jsouder53

Hooked
I like the look of that wider stance [emoji106] I’m glad it fixed any dubbing on your swaybar end links

USMC Wrangler

If I run spacers again it will definitely be Spidertrax, just like last time. I had a lot of miles on mine with absolutely zero issues before I changed out wheels and tires. Or was that “we”? [emoji6]

Jet looks great! [emoji1303]

SLO

Looks good. I really like the feel of a wide stance. Did you change anything with the rear sway bar to get that much flex in the rear?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If I run spacers again it will definitely be Spidertrax, just like last time. I had a lot of miles on mine with absolutely zero issues before I changed out wheels and tires. Or was that “we”? [emoji6]

LOL - "we" of course and yes, Spidertrax is the only way to go. I can speak from first hand experience that running a cheap knock off will only lead to trouble or disaster. I've made that mistake in the past but only because I was in a pinch and ended up almost losing a wheel on the highway. :shock:

Looks good. I really like the feel of a wide stance. Did you change anything with the rear sway bar to get that much flex in the rear?

Nope. If you want BIG flex, OE is the only way to go. Drop brackets were installed but only so that the sway bar would clear the coilovers at a full droop.

Jet looks great! I really like the wider look.

Thanks! We do too :yup:

If you went less than 1.75, would you have issues with the stock studs?

Yup. If you look at the second pic I posted carefully, you will see that the factory studs sit flush with the spacer. Anything less and you would have a problem.

I do really like the stance, looks great!

Thank you :)

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
LOL - It didn't even take you a second to notice it. The stance is wide for sure but I think a lot of that comes from the fact that we have our lift set so low. Either way, I like it like this and it really is stable. :yup:

Looks great, and probably handles like a go-kart. Lol.

You look lower now then you did when you left ORE. How much space are you running above the coil nut?

Exodus 4x4

Can't wait to see what it looks like all wrapped up :thumb:

Thanks! Kind of sad letting it go for a few days after only HAVING it for a few days!

This is the first time I’ve driven the new platform for an extended period of time and I have to say, I’m super impressed. Between the interior and drive train improvements, it’s going to be hard not to drive it all the time and not the JK. That being said, it’s time to get back to the JK and prepping it for a big trip that before we know it, will be just around the corner.

Top Bottom