RCV Update on Jet Li

TheGrendel

Eddie,

how are the RCV shafts holding up on Jet Li? have they started making noise like you've seen in the past?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie,

how are the RCV shafts holding up on Jet Li? have they started making noise like you've seen in the past?

Oh yeah, snap crackle and pop. Not to mention they throw grease everywhere. I really hate these things. :rolleyes2:

longarmwj

As i've said before I have RCVs in my WJ, but the difference is that I have locking hubs so they are only engaged when wheeling.

It adds a nice splash of color under the rig though :crazyeyes::crazyeyes:

wjtstudios

Hooked
Oh yeah, snap crackle and pop. Not to mention they throw grease everywhere. I really hate these things. :rolleyes2:

Is it hit and miss with them? I haven’t had any noises come out if mine in two years and 20k whether it turning a hard 90 turn in normal driving or having it flexed and locked up on rocks and turning. When is it making the popping noises for you? I do agree they throw grease everywhere though.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 Jeep Scrambler

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As i've said before I have RCVs in my WJ, but the difference is that I have locking hubs so they are only engaged when wheeling.

It adds a nice splash of color under the rig though :crazyeyes::crazyeyes:

If we had locking hubs, I might not be so opposed to RCV's other than the $400 premium.

Is it hit and miss with them? I haven’t had any noises come out if mine in two years and 20k whether it turning a hard 90 turn in normal driving or having it flexed and locked up on rocks and turning. When is it making the popping noises for you? I do agree they throw grease everywhere though.

Not from what I've seen. This is the 2nd time I've run RCVs and they're doing exactly what they did before. ALL my friends that run RCV have the snap crackle and pop too. It mainly happens when driving and turning - doesn't need to be hard turn and if anything, it may be less of an issue then. Not saying you don't wheel hard or often but this is something I always hear on rigs that do. I think we got our ProRock 44 installed about 20,000 miles or so ago and have since put on about 15,000 on them. I'd say they just started making noise about 5,000 miles ago.

TheGrendel

If we had locking hubs, I might not be so opposed to RCV's other than the $400 premium.

Not from what I've seen. This is the 2nd time I've run RCVs and they're doing exactly what they did before. ALL my friends that run RCV have the snap crackle and pop too. It mainly happens when driving and turning - doesn't need to be hard turn and if anything, it may be less of an issue then. Not saying you don't wheel hard or often but this is something I always hear on rigs that do. I think we got our ProRock 44 installed about 20,000 miles or so ago and have since put on about 15,000 on them. I'd say they just started making noise about 5,000 miles ago.

you've burned some serious rubber. haha.

what front axle shafts do you recommend for JKs?

wjtstudios

Hooked

I thought I racked up miles! You guys are crazy. Although most of mine have been in the Ram this year until last week. Now the Jeep gets to run hard again. I by no means wheel enough these days to stress them like you guys. That might be my saving grace for now. Hopefully I get lucky my set stays quiet.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 Jeep Scrambler

Braxtonsag

hopefully he says ten factory chromoly, that's what i just ordered w my axle :fingerscrossed:

That's nuts that the rcv's are already acting like that in such short time.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Yeah, we racked up about 36,000 miles in just a little over a year and if you can believe it, we work from home :cheesy:

Personally, I'd run any chromoly shaft with full circle clips. If they were available, I would have run the ones that Dynatrac is having made being that they come from Foote which is a foundry here in the USA. It'd be that or Revolution. I will say that I have run Alloy USA and a few others in the past and with good results as well.

I thought I racked up miles! You guys are crazy. Although most of mine have been in the Ram this year until last week. Now the Jeep gets to run hard again. I by no means wheel enough these days to stress them like you guys. That might be my saving grace for now. Hopefully I get lucky my set stays quiet.

LOL - yeah, we do a LOT of driving and a lot of our life is spent on the road and on the trail.

hopefully he says ten factory chromoly, that's what i just ordered w my axle :fingerscrossed:

That's nuts that the rcv's are already acting like that in such short time.

Nothing wrong with Ten Factory, I would just make sure to install full circle clips if they don't come with them.

As far as the snap crackle pop that the RCV's make, it's not like they're broken or anything. Certainly, RCV will tell you that it's totally normal and NOT something they'll warranty. It's just annoying as hell especially when you pay a $400 premium for them.

Ddays

Hooked
RCVS.jpg

50K miles on mine. Can't wait to rebuild mine and chase all those damn balls all over the garage. :rolleyes2:

Top Bottom