Looking for used JK/JKU in Charleston SC area. Need pointers

WannabeJKguy

Hey guys.
So as far as the JK/JKU market in the Charleston area, I was trying to figure out what route to take.
Model years and mileage span the gammut, anywhere from 2007 to 2017, and mileage anywhere from the low 20's to 150K plus.
So, my issues are exactly where to start.
My normal MO is to go for the most current year and lowest mileage. But, talking to a buddy of mine in the Jeep community, he was telling me not to be too concerned about mileages hovering around 100K or higher, stating that the PentaStars are known to run upward 500K with no problems.
I already know to look for certain things, and, apparently, my budget will be a bit restrictive, whereas I can't have a payment plan as crazy as $500 a month for 72 months.
Also, for you JK guys, what is a typical cost of ownership for a vehicle, as in what parts for a Daily Driver seem to be most commonly changed and when. I'll worry about off-road stuff later.

Not really looking for recommendations in the market. More or less need some help setting the boundaries of my search, being a total noob.
Thanks for any help in advance.

WJCO

Meme King
But, talking to a buddy of mine in the Jeep community, he was telling me not to be too concerned about mileages..... stating that the PentaStars are known to run upward 500K with no problems.

Wow. Never heard of such a thing.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Don’t bet on 500,000 miles out of a Pentastar. I wouldn’t bet on 500,000 miles from anything.

If you can find a pavement princess, you’ll be better off. Crawl under it and look at the skids, especially the gas tank skid and you can see whether it has been off road or not. Not that you can’t buy a nice one that has been wheeled, but what you don’t want is something rich daddy gave his kid to fuck up. Everyone doesn’t take care of them.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WannabeJKguy

Thanks. These are good tips.
I'm thinking quite the majority of ones in my area are certified mall crawlers, but still worth the look.
If I'm reading you right, just use the same common sense approach to buying a used vehicle, nothing to look out for year to year, etc?
I totally get the off roading comments, just want to know if 100k miles or more is as big of an issue as it is with other vehicles primarily.

A.J.

2012 or newer. Under 60k mi. Rubicon. Stock with no upgrades whatsoever. Crawl under it and look for signs of use/abuse and rust.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

notnalc68

Short, sweet, and to the point. I like it!

That’s good advice. I’d buy 2012 or newer, because the engine and auto transmission are better, IMO. Not that people don’t get a lot of life out of the 3.8, but the Pentastar and automatic transmission seems to have a lot more power.

jesse3638

Hooked
That’s good advice. I’d buy 2012 or newer, because the engine and auto transmission are better, IMO. Not that people don’t get a lot of life out of the 3.8, but the Pentastar and automatic transmission seems to have a lot more power.

I agree with this as well. I have the 6 speed and have been happy with that too. You can get a second gear chirp on 35's..:crazyeyes:

I saw your purchase restrictions. When I bought mine new (2012 JKUR) I was paying less than $500 a month on a 72 month, 1.9%...haha. The new JL's there is no way I could get that without putting 20k down.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

WannabeJKguy

I agree with this as well. I have the 6 speed and have been happy with that too. You can get a second gear chirp on 35's..:crazyeyes:

I saw your purchase restrictions. When I bought mine new (2012 JKUR) I was paying less than $500 a month on a 72 month, 1.9%...haha. The new JL's there is no way I could get that without putting 20k down.

Thanks for the advice, man.
Yeah, no way a JL is in my future. But I'll definitely keep these parameters in view for the buy.
My purchase will be happening sometime between tomorrow and September (tomorrow is when I take my wife's lease back to the dealership for the complimentary inspection ;) and September is when the lease is actually up)

notnalc68

True. I had a 2012 2 door, with a manual transmission. It seemed way more peppy than my ‘14 4 door with automatic transmission. It wasn’t the additional weight. The transmission was better than the 3.8 auto, but not so good as the JL 8 speed.

Top Bottom