Where is my perfect state?

SGTGunner

Hoping yall can help me out. There's not much left for me here in Texas, so I'm looking to go somewhere that better suits me.

I need someplace with lots of open public land where you can just pull off the road and explore, wheel, hike, hunt, fish, ect with out getting shot at for trespassing on a ranch or paying fees for a state park or ORV park. Texas is almost all private land.

Better carry laws. In Texas we have to pay for a class, then pay the state for a consealed handgun license, then do the same every 5 years to renew. No open carry. I want a state that has both. Prefer to not have to be licensed.

Lower humidity. I can handle the heat, but the humidity is killer here.

Stable economy. Best thing about Texas is our economy has done great despite trouble around the country.

I also prefer a dersert type environments.

As far as I know Utah, Arizona, and New Mexico pretty much seem to fit the bill. Not sure about the economy part though.

Any suggestions or insite yall can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Prime8

Hoping yall can help me out. There's not much left for me here in Texas, so I'm looking to go somewhere that better suits me.

I need someplace with lots of open public land where you can just pull off the road and explore, wheel, hike, hunt, fish, ect with out getting shot at for trespassing on a ranch or paying fees for a state park or ORV park. Texas is almost all private land.

Better carry laws. In Texas we have to pay for a class, then pay the state for a consealed handgun license, then do the same every 5 years to renew. No open carry. I want a state that has both. Prefer to not have to be licensed.

Lower humidity. I can handle the heat, but the humidity is killer here.

Stable economy. Best thing about Texas is our economy has done great despite trouble around the country.

I also prefer a dersert type environments.

As far as I know Utah, Arizona, and New Mexico pretty much seem to fit the bill. Not sure about the economy part though.

Any suggestions or insite yall can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Phoenix, Tempe, Scottsdale, Chandler etc... Any of the valleys cities, usually just referred to as "Phoenix" are awesome. I was at ASU for 6 years after living in Flagstaff for 6 years (in the mountains of AZ, also a beautiful choice but a much smaller town). Didn't realize how much I loved it until I got a job after college that moved me away. Now all I want to do is move back there, my wife too. My goal is to end up back out there. If Cat ever opens a facility there, I will be first in line requesting a transfer! Great restaurants, great gun laws, and tons of wheeling around. Plus, drive 2 hours north and your in a 7000 ft high forest with a ski resort just out of town. There aren't took my places in the country where a 2 hour drive will change the scenery that drastically. Great food out there too.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Not much time to write...

Nevada...desert, open carry, have to license for CCW, economy is okay, NO state income tax. 👍

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
Arizona all the way. As soon as I convince the wife we are moving there. No ccw needed to carry , open carry, lots of desert land to wheel on!

sundaydriver

I moved to Utah about 15 years ago from SoCal for work and It's been good. The outdoors can't be beat. The economy has always been stable. You get all four seasons, never too hot nor too cold. Other than the quirky laws and a religious influenced government that's always good for a laugh, it's been a good place to live.

SGTGunner

Thanks for the tips yall, keep em commin!

Sundaydriver, what kind of quircky laws?

Utah was one of my favorite places to drive through when I was driving long haul. Beautiful scenery, but being a truck driver I was never able to see much besides the highways and truck stops or learn much about the state.

as a citizen of the peoples republic of czkalifornia, i am on my way out (soon i hope) to southern utah, northern nevada, northern arizona or southern idaho. i have to be specific due to my wife having some stipulations..... if i had my way i would be in sandpoint, id or butte montana.

andrew -

munstie

My wife and me are in the same boat looking real hard at Phoenix, to get the hell outta Illinois, one of the unfriendliest offroad states there are,amongst other things. Just gotta get some more money saved and find a job out there, and we are outta here.

2011 JKU 3.5 R.E. Longarm lift.

Last edited:

PurpleHayes519

My wife and me are in the same boat looking real hard at Phoenix, to get the hell outta Illinois, one of the unfriendliest offroad states there are. Just gotta get some more money saved and find a job out there, and we are outta here.

I sure as hell agree with you on that. I found a mud hole today and got so excited. Illinois is awful if you plan to off road at all.

munstie

I sure as hell agree with you on that. I found a mud hole today and got so excited. Illinois is awful if you plan to off road at all.

I really can't wait to move out there, a big factor is the climate for wanting to move there.

LGPow2006

Been in Az for 15 yrs now.

Miss Michigan, but...
Carry laws are awesome.
Out where I am I can drive till out of fuel and still have trail in front of me.

But gosh darn hot in the summer...Phx is hotter yet.

sundaydriver

Thanks for the tips yall, keep em commin!

Sundaydriver, what kind of quircky laws?

Utah was one of my favorite places to drive through when I was driving long haul. Beautiful scenery, but being a truck driver I was never able to see much besides the highways and truck stops or learn much about the state.

Well, if you're a drinker, they try hard to make it difficult to get one. The liquor laws will make you laugh out loud. Can't buy a car or do a lot of other things on Sunday. I'm not a gun owner, but I think you'll like the gun laws. Polygamy is illegal, but not enforced. ;)
Sounds like a good thread for The Pub. "Weird State Laws"
It IS a beautiful place. So many places to see. Very diverse landscape. From the mountains to desert, The red rock down south.
Good luck on making a choice.

BEE'S TWIN

I moved to Utah about 15 years ago from SoCal for work and It's been good. The outdoors can't be beat. The economy has always been stable. You get all four seasons, never too hot nor too cold. Other than the quirky laws and a religious influenced government that's always good for a laugh, it's been a good place to live.

Well put man...

Philip *AZ*

Banned
I would say AZ! I moved back after I got out of the Army. I cannot say I like Phoenix. Toooo many damn people, too much gang violence/drugs. Its way to damn hot for me. There is some nice wheelin there though. I live in Page. It doesnt get too hot, Im 15 minutes from the border of Utah. Got Lake Powell within 15 minutes and all the BLM land I can get my tires on. The only major downfall is that there is not much work. We are a tourist town. I work in the jail as a Detention Officer so Ive always got customers and we are open 24/7 365! LMAO!!!

Paratroopers stay up longer!

Snsrubicon

Well when I leave California I want to go to Idaho....all seasons, off roading for all , jeeps , bikes, hiking, fishing, hunting...30% lower costs all the way around...and so much more...look it up...really amazing

SGTGunner

Yall sure are making it hard.

This forum is making the itch worse. Seeing the pictures of all the wheeling out there is making me hate Texas even more. I did a little wheeling this morning (pictures posted in the "where did your Jeep take you" thread) but it's NOTHING compared to what yall get to do in your own back yards.

I think I'll be putting in for the fist opening my company has in either of those states. They all sound to be what I'm wanting.

Top Bottom