Myths and Facts

Discount Tire

Myth or Fact: The pressure listed on the tire sidewall indicates the recommended pressure?

Myth or Fact: Tire pressure does not need to be regularly checked for vehicles equipped with TPMS?

When it comes to tires, there is a lot of misinformation out there. Check out our write-up linked below where we dismiss some of the common myths surrounding tires and tire safety.

EDUsafety-myths_myths_hero_v2_zpsykeizpwl.jpg

Samuelh3

Caught the Bug
Good info. I alway thought it was funny seeing people kick their tires to see if they were OK. There is NO way that tells you anything other than you're ready to go. "Lets kick the tires and light the fires" :p

Discount Tire

Now I'm curious to know where kicking the tires originated :thinking:

Perhaps it's the same premise as checking a pressure with a tire "thumper".

jesse3638

Hooked
Now I'm curious to know where kicking the tires originated :thinking:

Perhaps it's the same premise as checking a pressure with a tire "thumper".

I think kicking or thumping the tires came from the trucking world. Checking the pressure on 18 tires (8 sets of duals) is a pain and is done on the daily pre trip. If you stop for fuel a quick walk around and smacking the tires with a stick or mallet is an easy way to identify a flat tire. Actually found a flat inner dual on my engine that way and it was with my hand.

Edit: Didn't see A.J.'s post...haha

Last edited:

Discount Tire

I think kicking or thumping the tires came from the trucking world. Checking the pressure on 18 tires (8 sets of duals) is a pain and is done on the daily pre trip. If you stop for fuel a quick walk around and smacking the tires with a stick or mallet is an easy way to identify a flat tire. Actually found a flat inner dual on my engine that way and it was with my hand.

Good thing you found the flat before it caused and damage. :thumb:

Discount Tire

You’re on the right track. Old school truck drivers.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Agreed, though you wouldn't think kicking a tire would yield a recognizable "sound" that's produced like when using a thumper on a semi tire.

RCVRY

Thumpers only work on duels. If the inner duel is flat it’s hard to see from the top unless it’s separated from the bead.

Kicking tires refers to prospective car buyers looking to beat down the price.

RCVRY

Haha - if it were up to me there would be a sizable discount :D

Let me help:

Promotional Discount Tire Smokem’ Competition: we’re not smoking tires, we’re smoking meat. Open only to amateur existence smoke clubs. First prize - wheels and tires.

Just make sure you make it to northwest Indiana. [emoji869]

Top Bottom