KMC Machete Beadlock Ring Gap

ColeHanlon

I’ve been following Eddie’s beadlock mounting video, and been mounting XD229s on Cooper STT Pros 37x13.50R17.

Just wondering if this little bit of gap looks about right? I have been using the Tekton 3/8 in torque wrench, going around and around.

IMG_2515.jpg

In the video it sounds like there should be no gap at all. TIA

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Braxtonsag

I can check mine after work but I’m pretty sure mine are tightly together. If the bolts aren’t rotating anymore and you have the correct torque set I imagine you’ll be fine

With my Methods, they are adamant that the ring is TIGHT to the wheel, no gap. I could not achieve this because my tire bead is too thick. So I bought 3/16” aluminum spacers thru Method. They are sandwiched between the ring and the wheel. Thus, it goes beadlock ring, spacer, wheel. All tight, no gaps. Not sure if the it’s the same for your wheels, but might be worth looking into. I would not drive my rig with any gap. My current setup is excellent. No bolt issues at all, wheeling and highway use.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

ColeHanlon

Started going back around, got a little further down. If i have any chance of getting it flush I will have to go way above 24 ft lbs. Not sure if that is safe or not.

SLO

Reiterating that you don’t want a gap but I also wouldn’t go above 24 ft/lbs. Did you use anti-seize on the bolts? I would definitely try backing them out a couple turns and re-torquing. You’ll notice that after a day or two and driving a little, you will be able to give it another 1/4 to 1/2 turn. If you didn’t use anti-seize, though, I would take each bolt out one at a time and put some on.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Reiterating that you don’t want a gap but I also wouldn’t go above 24 ft/lbs. Did you use anti-seize on the bolts? I would definitely try backing them out a couple turns and re-torquing. You’ll notice that after a day or two and driving a little, you will be able to give it another 1/4 to 1/2 turn. If you didn’t use anti-seize, though, I would take each bolt out one at a time and put some on.

Per KMC, you are not supposed to.

SLO

Per KMC, you are not supposed to.

Well shit, I missed that. But I read you were supposed to on the internet so it must be true.

EDIT: There are two Machetes...XD228 and XD229. The 228 is threaded directly into the aluminum. Don’t the 229’s have steel threaded inserts. I think that could make a difference because I swear Wheel Pros was the one that told me to use anti-seize on the XD228’s but I could see them not recommending anti-seize on steel inserts. :idontknow:

Last edited:
Top Bottom