Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 35's and re-gear dliemma

Knows a Thing or Two tastethebeast's Avatar
    I feel like I have the same setup as you except for I have a 2.5 inch lift. 35s, 2016 rubi, auto, stock gears, heavy skids, sliders, bumpers.

The Jeep drove OK after the larger tires. I could tell that is wasn't shifting as well especially on hill climbs. I did end up getting a Superchips FlashPaq to adjust my tire size and speedo. IMO, when you move to 35s this is a must do.

I have also noticed that power is lacking on steeper grades. I am going to Colorado for a 5 day off road trip in August and will probably really feel the pain in the mountains. Overall, it is completely doable but you will want to eventually upgrade your gears. So the answer to your question would be #2.

Quote Originally Posted by 64Chevy View Post
    This is one of those difficult questions to ask, and I'm open to all responses, but I'm really looking for owners of 3.6 JKU Rubis with autos running 35's and stock gearing.

I've got a 2015 JKUR with worn out 33 Duratracs. My rig is so heavy (winch, bumpers, skids, tools, recovery gear, etc.) that my TeraFlex leveling lift is down an inch from where it was (both front and rear).

Part of me wants to redo the lift big time (progressive springs, steering correction--the whole 9 yards) and go with 35s. But, I don't want to spend the money to regear, unless there is no other option.

So if you have a rig similar to mine (a 3.6 auto porky JKUR), and if you are running 35s, and have stock gears, is your highway power:

1) Essentialy as good as stock,
    2) Okay, not great, but not worth the cash to regear, or
    3) Embarrasing, and I wear a bag over my head when I drive?
    Last edited by tastethebeast; 07-14-2019 at 11:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by black pearl View Post
    I run 35s with 4:10s no issues.
    I canít remember exactly, but isnít it only manual rubiconís that come factory with 4:10s? Autos have to be ordered with them? 🤷*♀️

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    If I remember right, the factory changed around 2014 or 15 from having 4.10ís paired with the auto trans as standard to 3.73 with the auto. Prior to that all Rubicons , auto or manual had 4.10 standard.

Quote Originally Posted by TrailHunter View Post
    4.10 w/ 35ís are not as good as stock... but there is no need for an immediate re-gear. Itís fine. The engine will work a little harder at take off and pulling grades. But itís Not a big deal. I will probably jump to 4.88ís eventually.
    ^^^This.
    You will notice a little slower acceleration and more down shifting on steep grades, but not intolerable. Don't let that stop you from a better lift and 35s.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Knows a Thing or Two TheGrendel's Avatar
    You will notice a significant difference. Whether it is livable is up to the individual driver.

When I bought my Jeep it had 4.10 with 35ís it was fine you really noticed a power loss on hill climbs. So I re-geared to 4.88 and itís was amazing how much of a difference. Transmission would hardly down shift, went up hills like nothing. Really noticed a difference to when out playing in the dez and rocks.

2016 JKU

Quote Originally Posted by tastethebeast View Post
    I feel like I have the same setup as you except for I have a 2.5 inch lift. 35s, 2016 rubi, auto stock gears, heavy skids, sliders, bumpers.

The Jeep drove OK after the larger tires. I could tell that is wasn't shifting as well especially on hill climbs. I did end up getting a Superchips FlashPaq to adjust my tire size and speedo. IMO, when you move to 35s this is a must do.

I have also noticed that power is lacking on steeper grades. I am going to Colorado for a 5 day off road trip in August and will probably really feel the pain in the mountains. Overall, it is completely doable but you will want to eventually upgrade your gears. So the answer to your question would be #2.
    Anytime you change tire size you need to adjust for that to get the speedometer and shift points back to normal.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

2012 Dozer JK
    -Dynatrac PR44/Rubicon Rear
    -Nitto 37Ē Trail Grapplers
    -Rock Krawler 2.5Ē Lift
    -ATX Slabs
    -Warn VR8
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

2012 Billet Silver JKUR
    -EVO DTD front and rear
    -Dynatrac PR60/PR80
    -EVO High Clearance Long Arm
    -Nitto 40Ē Trail grapplers
    -KMC Machetes
    -JE Reel 1410/1350 Driveshafts
    -Warn CTI 9.5
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

1975 DJ5

Quote Originally Posted by sipafz View Post
    If I remember right, the factory changed around 2014 or 15 from having 4.10ís paired with the auto trans as standard to 3.73 with the auto. Prior to that all Rubicons , auto or manual had 4.10 standard.
    I couldnít remember specifics. I just remember reading that someplace, when I was researching to buy mine. But mine is a 16, so I was looking after the change
    Take what you can! Give nothing back!

You already have 35s on your radar, so do it or later you'll be pissed off that you didn't. You can reassess the regear after that.

You may want to add C Gussets to your front axle as well, cheap insurance.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

That dude from Mississippi notnalc68's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    You already have 35s on your radar, so do it or later you'll be pissed off that you didn't. You can reassess the regear after that.

You may want to add C Gussets to your front axle as well, cheap insurance.
    That. Drive it, and see how you like it. If it werenít for the fact that I was going to tow a travel trailer, I wouldnít have re-geared. I could live with it, otherwise. It isnít a sports car.

Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.

35's and re-gear dliemma

My 2016 JKUR automatic trans came with 4.10s out the box. I live in Colorado and run 35x13.50s through mountain passes. It dogs more, but it works. Iím looking forward to the flash cal action, havenít done it yet. Donít think Iíll make another gear change until itís time for new axles

EDIT: I welded C gussets in as well. Happy I did, just looking at those poor little D44 Cís reaching out at my tires

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE
    Last edited by Cousin Clyde; 07-14-2019 at 04:52 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast