Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 35's and re-gear dliemma

Fresh Catch

35's and re-gear dliemma

This is one of those difficult questions to ask, and I'm open to all responses, but I'm really looking for owners of 3.6 JKU Rubis with autos running 35's and stock gearing.

I've got a 2015 JKUR with worn out 33 Duratracs. My rig is so heavy (winch, bumpers, skids, tools, recovery gear, etc.) that my TeraFlex leveling lift is down an inch from where it was (both front and rear).

Part of me wants to redo the lift big time (progressive springs, steering correction--the whole 9 yards) and go with 35s. But, I don't want to spend the money to regear, unless there is no other option.

So if you have a rig similar to mine (a 3.6 auto porky JKUR), and if you are running 35s, and have stock gears, is your highway power:

1) Essentialy as good as stock,
    2) Okay, not great, but not worth the cash to regear, or
    3) Embarrasing, and I wear a bag over my head when I drive?

35's and re-gear dliemma

EDIT: just saw you have a 3.6 Rubi so you have 4.10s. Need sleep. With 4.10s you should be fine on some 35s. But as Iíll say below, if itís not up to the way you like your Jeep to drive then save up and regear down the line.

Now I am answering this in a completely subjective way, because I think how much power you need is subjective to the driver of the Jeep and your opinion on what feels good to you. But Iíve all three of the gear ratios offered in the JKs above with 35s, and I have to say the only one I found it to be unbearable was the 3.21s, and Iíve had all of em. It was extremely sluggish, and just had a heavy feeling. Now, that doesnít mean it isnít doable until you can save up for a regear. I just didnít care for it.

If it were me, and I were in your shoes, Iíd rebuild the lift and go with some good stuff, and go for 35s. Take your time and get a feel for how the Jeep drives with the new tires, and in that time save some spare coin (if you can) and regear. And if you donít feel like it needs a regear, well then you have some extra cash for more parts.

Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Last edited by Napalm; 07-14-2019 at 04:00 AM.

35's and re-gear dliemma

Your profile says you have a JKUR, so looks like 4:10s. Plenty of people have run 35s on those without a regear and been ok. Your transfer case will make up for a lot on the trail.

I run 35s with 4:10s no issues.
    I canít remember exactly, but isnít it only manual rubiconís that come factory with 4:10s? Autos have to be ordered with them? 🤷*♀️

Take what you can! Give nothing back!

Knows a Thing or Two danford.lau's Avatar
    4.1 with 35s is fine . Drove it for all over like that . As good if not better than 37s with beadlocks

Quote Originally Posted by black pearl View Post
    I canít remember exactly, but isnít it only manual rubiconís that come factory with 4:10s? Autos have to be ordered with them? 🤷*♀️

Not sure. My auto came with 4.10's.
    2015 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon
    1981 Jeep Cherokee Chief

4.10 w/ 35ís are not as good as stock... but there is no need for an immediate re-gear. Itís fine. The engine will work a little harder at take off and pulling grades. But itís Not a big deal. I will probably jump to 4.88ís eventually.

Hooked
    Iíve got a Ď12 JKUR auto on 35ís with 3.73 gears. Iím pretty happy with it and have no plans to regear. Itís night and day difference compared to the 3.21 gears. The transmission will bog and down shift on me from time to time but again, quite a bit better than 3.21ís. Your 4.10ís would be even better! My previous Jeep was a Ď95 YJ 4 cyl, so This JKUR is like a Cadillac!

With all this said, I would like to drive a jk with 4.56 or 4.88 gears for comparison. Maybe mine is a case of I just donít know what Iím missing!!!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

You will definitely notice 35s but regear isnít mandatory.

Quote Originally Posted by black pearl View Post

If I remember right, the factory changed around 2014 or 15 from having 4.10ís paired with the auto trans as standard to 3.73 with the auto. Prior to that all Rubicons , auto or manual had 4.10 standard.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast